Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

Here's the first pass estimate for this weekend's domestic box office. More accurate numbers will be out tomorrow.

Wish finally gave up some theaters, but still has far too many for its flatlining box office. The Marvels is dead.

OT: Ms. Beyonce's concert movie looks like it will do less than a fourth the box office that Miss Swift's concert movie did.

Weekend First Pass.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's the first pass estimate for this weekend's domestic box office. More accurate numbers will be out tomorrow.

Wish finally gave up some theaters, but still has far too many for its flatlining box office. The Marvels is dead.

OT: Ms. Beyonce's concert movie looks like it will do less than a fourth the box office that Miss Swift's concert movie did.

View attachment 758338
Beyonce canceled dates on her tour this past year because they weren’t selling…they called it “logistics issues”

…but yeah…

GIRL…you ain’t what you used to be

(And yes…I have a very Interesting anecdotal story that goes to that…best not say it here 🤐)

TalkingHead

View attachment 758338
This should put to rest any illusion that concert films are gonna save theatrical chains.

And it’s wild that a Marvel movie isn’t going to make $100m domestic. Iger’s next memoir volume should be titled The Crash of a Lifetime.

TP2000

And it’s wild that a Marvel movie isn’t going to make $100m domestic. Iger’s next memoir volume should be titled The Crash of a Lifetime.

I just mentioned this over in The Marvels thread, but it's probably better here...

As of the latest box office from this weekend, The Marvels has lost approximately $224 Million for Disney. Ouch!

Production $275, Marketing $100, British Tax Rebate LoveGift $55, Domestic Take $50, Foreign Take $46 = $224 Million Loss

You Do Not Look Mahvelous.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This should put to rest any illusion that concert films are gonna save theatrical chains.

It’s not but it helps.

The problem is has to be YUGE to attract people

I say this as I just watched the 40th anniversary of thriller doc on paramount+…which is outstanding.

And yes…you can separate the art from the artist if anyone wants to complain. Grow up and hush.

Ghost93

I didn't like The Boy and the Heron, but I am glad to see it's doing well. I want 2D animation to make a comeback in the States.

My issues with the Boy and the Heron were simply that I found it too confusing and hard to emotionally connect with. Had a similar feeling when I watched Christopher Nolan's Tenet. It's a shame, because I normally love Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki films.

Regardless, I am glad the movie is its own work of art, and is clearly driven by a creative force (Miyazaki). It' s a stark contrast to the the committee-driven/corporate machine formulaic Disney movies like Wish.

erasure fan1

I don't remember hearing anyone say they would save the theaters. It's really just another option to try and bring in some extra money. And from what I've heard from the people I know that went to see Beyonce, they were a bit disappointed in it because it was more just a documentary than concert. It's still a bit early to say how well these type of things are going to do.

erasure fan1

Given their forays into fantasy lately - e.g. Willow and a bunch of D+ stuff - I’d rather they not touch Prydain chronicles
As much as I say, if there's one live action remake I would actually go see, it'd be this. I just can't see this current squad at Disney doing anything but butchering it. So yea, just leave it be until there's a better group of creatives at Disney.

TalkingHead

I don't remember hearing anyone say they would save the theaters. It's really just another option to try and bring in some extra money. And from what I've heard from the people I know that went to see Beyonce, they were a bit disappointed in it because it was more just a documentary than concert. It's still a bit early to say how well these type of things are going to do.
But how much extra money? AMC distributing means it’s costing them more than simply exhibiting. If studios get involved with concert films the cost will skyrocket. Bottom line is Swift was like Maverick or Oppenheimer, a success that’s unlikely to be replicated unless specific people are involved in specific projects.

TsWade2

If I may digress...

I am absolutely delighted that the animated film "The Boy and the Heron" has apparently earned 12.8 million at the U.S. box office and debuted at number one. Why am I so delighted? Because it's a Hayao Miyazaki film - and Miyazaki created one of my favorite animated films of all time - "Spirited Away". The other reason I'm delighted is because it's in glorious 2D animation. What's not to celebrate? Imagine a 2D animated film topping the box office in 2023. It's a freaking miracle. It proves that an appetite and audience for 2D animation is out there, and that an animation studio can tap into it - given the right project and the right artists behind it.

Now I like CG animation. But good, quality 2D animation has a way of delighting the eye that CG doesn't. Look at the short "Once Upon A Studio", where both types of animation are mixed, and very effectively. The 2D easily stands its ground with the CG - it in no way looks inferior. Remember the scene where Mickey and Minnie jump out of the picture frame? Now imagine that animated in CG. It would lose a tremendous amount of visual appeal in that mode. 2D was the right way to go there.

It's too much to hope, I know, that Disney will ever choose to try to produce another 2D animated feature film. But if it did, what I'd like to see is a 2D animated version of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" (didn't much care for the live-action movie) or "The Last Unicorn". Something based on a good book and has a lot of magic in it. Something that's worthy of the glorious 2D Disney animated films of yore. But yeah, that's too much to hope for...
Well, I’m still upset that Wish didn’t do well, but, I’m very glad to hear that the The Boy and the Heron is doing well at the box office. Maybe this will get Disney to do more hand drawn or 2D animated features again! Of course, that’s just me.

erasure fan1

But how much extra money? AMC distributing means it’s costing them more than simply exhibiting. If studios get involved with concert films the cost will skyrocket.
Maybe. They have been filming concerts since well before my time. It doesn't really have to cost that much. Unless it's Disney, than it would cost as much as an avengers flick. The beauty of a concert is that once filmed, it can then be sold to the streaming companies just like they're doing now. It might not do all that much in the Grand scheme of things. But I'd say it's definitely worth exploring.

TsWade2

View attachment 758338
Well, Wish maybe flopping at the box office (Unfairly in my opinion), but it has a second chance on Disney+. So I think it'll do better on Disney+ and become popular like Encanto and Elemental did. You guys can be negative all you want, but sometimes you'll never know what happened. And I feel cautiously optimistic that Wish will do well on Disney+ and maybe become a sleeper hit there, because a lot of families are waiting to see Wish on Disney+ anyway. Sorry, but I know it'll be a hit on Disney+ and I'm sticking to it!
pokemon deal with it GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom