Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well the weekend numbers are finalized, and its worse than projected at $37.6M for Joker 2.

1728339326159.png

Romulus is all but out of theaters, and DP&W is still $2.34M away from beating Barbie, which is important for some.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
BREAKING….

Officially confirmed, as I suspected, Disney’s live-action adaptation of #LiloAndStitch arrives only in theaters May 23, 2025: .

And also official, #FreakierFriday hits theaters August 8, 2025, 22 years after #FreakyFriday 1: .

Nice.

Those were two date reserved by Disney listed as "untitled."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Joker 2 has fallen off a cliff but still holds onto its screens this weekend. Other than a new horror movie not much new is happening.

DP&W will now dip under 1000 theaters for this weekend, so its coming to its end of its run. Unless some miracle happens this weekend its looking like it may not beat Barbie, sorry to those that were hoping that would happen.

Here are the Thursday previews -

1728680598314.png

DisneyWarrior27

Joker 2 has fallen off a cliff but still holds onto its screens this weekend. Other than a new horror movie not much new is happening.

DP&W will now dip under 1000 theaters for this weekend, so its coming to its end of its run. Unless some miracle happens this weekend its looking like it may not beat Barbie, sorry to those that were hoping that would happen.

Here are the Thursday previews -

View attachment 820289
Nah. It’ll still beat Barbie domestically. It has $1.75M left to go. It’ll get there. Besides, it only is short of 1K theaters by 10, it’ll get there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nah. It’ll still beat Barbie domestically. It has $1.75M left to go. It’ll get there. Besides, it only is short of 1K theaters by 10, it’ll get there.
I'm not sure why this is so important to you, care to explain? But its only making $81 per theater at this point. At 990 theaters it would have to go another 22 days to make that $1.75M. And that would be if it kept all 990 theaters and kept making a minimum of $81 per theater daily, which it won't. It'll lose more theaters in another week or two.

The economics just don't add up here. But hey maybe it happen, I just wouldn't bet on it.

DisneyWarrior27

I'm not sure why this is so important to you, care to explain? But its only making $81 per theater at this point. At 990 theaters it would have to go another 22 days to make that $1.75M. And that would be if it kept all 990 theaters and kept making a minimum of $81 per theater daily, which it won't. It'll lose more theaters in another week or two.

The economics just don't add up here. But hey maybe it happen, I just wouldn't bet on it.
I mean Columbus Day Weekend can give it a boost since it’s a 4-day holiday where people have off so I still think it gets there

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I mean Columbus Day Weekend can give it a boost since it’s a 4-day holiday where people have off so I still think it gets there
Its not as big of a holiday as you think. In addition the movie has already been out for almost 3 months, you're not going to get a sudden influx of people scrambling to see it just because its a "holiday" weekend, especially with limited screens. All my local theaters for example only has one or two showings a day now.

But again why does it matter if it beats Barbie or not. Both movies did really well. It'll be on the top 20 list for a long time. So there is nothing wrong if it doesn't beat Barbie.

BrianLo

One more thing to stir the pot.

The DCEU has 15 films. Since 2020 they've released financially numbers 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. Massively on a decline. 11-15 all having done worse than MCU's worst.

The MCU has 34 films. Since 2020 they've released financially numbers 2, 5, 8, 10, 15, 16, 24, 26, 28, 32 and 34.

MCU actually averages to 17 and change. It now counters somewhat that their post Endgame run is in decline, it's actually been fairly average. Particularly if we give a little more credit to one or two of those pandemic releases being held back. Black Widow and Shang Chi mostly.

I think some of the super-hero decline is really just DC completely dropping the ball.

Miss Rori

I'd think that would mean more for a family picture like The Wild Robot at this point, which isn't a month old yet.

Meanwhile, presales for Wicked Part One (which got a PG rating) are robust thus far (only behind Deadpool & Wolverine's for the year!):
https://deadline.com/2024/10/wicked-presales-box-office-ariana-grade-1236112637/

Looking at places like AMC, Wicked is definitely getting IMAX matinees only while Gladiator II gets the evening screenings. Presumably, Moana 2 will pick up the baton for large-format matinees after the first few days.

Disney hasn't started presales on Moana 2, though I'd expect they'll do that shortly. The two big U.S. chains (Regal and AMC) have a lot of goodies in store for both Wicked and Gladiator II - funky popcorn buckets and drink cups, free gifts for first-night attendees, special concessions, that sort of thing. I wonder what Moana 2 will be getting? (Wish had a special light-up bucket and matching drink cup when it ran at AMC and I remember from its thread one chain also had special glitter-dusted caramel popcorn.)

DKampy

One more thing to stir the pot.

The DCEU has 15 films. Since 2020 they've released financially numbers 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. Massively on a decline. 11-15 all having done worse than MCU's worst.

The MCU has 34 films. Since 2020 they've released financially numbers 2, 5, 8, 10, 15, 16, 24, 26, 28, 32 and 34.

MCU actually averages to 17 and change. It now counters somewhat that their post Endgame run is in decline, it's actually been fairly average. Particularly if we give a little more credit to one or two of those pandemic releases being held back. Black Widow and Shang Chi mostly.

I think some of the super-hero decline is really just DC completely dropping the ball.
I believe a lot of the MCU in decline narrative is due to the Endgame effect…I don’t think most franchises could live up to the pre endgame hype…. It was a once in a generation type of event…. Did Quatumania even do much worse than the other Antman movies…. That was never a billion dollar franchise

BrianLo

So just how bad is Jokers word of mouth and what exactly does a D CinemaScore indicate?

82% drop, maybe more? No wide release from a major studio (not a limited run/re-release) has ever had a second weekend drop more precipitously. Ever.

CinemaScore delivers again. This is a fascinating train wreck to watch. Unfortunately the death knell of WB letting directors take free reigns.

DKampy

So just how bad is Jokers word of mouth and what exactly does a D CinemaScore indicate?

82% drop, maybe more? No wide release from a major studio (not a limited run/re-release) has ever had a second weekend drop more precipitously. Ever.

CinemaScore delivers again. This is a fascinating train wreck to watch. Unfortunately the death knell of WB letting directors take free reigns.
It does make me nervous for what this will mean for the future of film… when you have an ambitious original film like Joker fail and then you have a film such as Terrifier(have not seen it and don’t plan too)surprise and do much better than expected which from all accounts only exists to appease the gore hounds with little to no plot

I get why each succeeded and failed… but execs often take the wrong lessons and want to figure the easiest path to a sure fire hit

DisneyWarrior27

Only $1M left to go until Deadpool & Wolverine tops Barbie for the biggest July release domestically.

I think it’ll get there, either by the end of October or by early November.

Attachments

• IMG_9077.png
    IMG_9077.png
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9078.png
    IMG_9078.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 6

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom