Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

LittleBuford

Mostly the same.

PG and 14A instead of PG-13, and R and 18A.

R is for content "not suitable for minors". 18A is more like PG-18, suggesting parents review and/or watch such content with their children.

I was curious to see what rating Evil Dead Rise received and just looked it up. As with the US, children were allowed to view it in cinemas when accompanied by adults. Quebec has a different system much closer to what I grew up: there, you had to be at least sixteen to watch it. Needless to say, the latter system seems much more sensible to me.

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

Those examples you gave have laws attached to them, this is not the case with movie viewing thankfully. But if there was a law preventing it in the US, I would obey it. But until then its up to parental discretion here in the US on taking their kids to R rated movies.
Yes, that’s what I said lol

But that part of my comment was intended to speak to the larger discussion, not a response or “rebuttal” to anything you’d said.

Wendy Pleakley

I apologise for misunderstanding what you meant.

Not necessary.

The notion that kids 'wouldn’t get the joke anyway' is interesting because I'd apply it differently to a kids movie versus an adult movie.

Lots of kids shows throw in a reference or double entendre for the adults, but the show overall is age appropriate. The kid never needs to know what they missed.

Different from an R movie where the jokes are in your face and expected to be understood.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, that’s what I said lol

But that part of my comment was intended to speak to the larger discussion, not a response or “rebuttal” to anything you’d said.
Except it is a rebuttal, as you proved my point. We have plenty of laws on things kids are not allowed to partake in here in the US. However its not against the law in the US for a parent to take a child to a R rated movie. If that changes and it becomes against the law, well that is a different discussion. Until then its a parents discretion on whether they want to bring their child to an R rated movie, and not really the business of others. Sure people will have opinions, but its not really their right or even place to say anything about it, as its not their kid.

LittleBuford

Until then its a parents discretion on whether they want to bring their child to an R rated movie, and not really the business of others. Sure people will have opinions, but its not really their right or even place to say anything about it, as its not their kid.
Do you mean specifically when faced with the situation (in which case I agree with you), or in general?

erasure fan1

it’s normally right-leaning people who argue that parents should have the last say and left-leaning people who argue the opposite.
I've always found the left to be the choice group. And the right was more the "family values" group.

Again, parents did ill advised stuff back then. But I'm not sure you'd see a news story on it in modern times. At least I haven't seen one. I remember Alien and plenty of other R rated films from the 80s and 90s where kids were brought. The overall consensus was, not appropriate for a 5, 6 or 7yr old. Maybe it's just the area I was in. But, as seen in this thread, it's no big deal and totally normal.
And what if my 6 yr old for example is more mature then the average 6 year old? For example what if my 6 yr old is not in K/1st but actually already in an higher grade because they are advanced and gifted? Is that appropriate because they are far beyond their physical age?
Ok, I know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. But you don't actually believe that right? Just because a kid might be able to do algebra at 6, doesn't mean their brains are in any way fully developed. Plus that's a extremely miniscule percentage of 6yr olds. I'd have to go back and check, but the brain doesn't fully mature until like 18-25yrs old. So I really don't care how much math a 6yr old can do, or how well they can read. It in no way means they are mature enough for something like Deadpool.

easyrowrdw

Except it is a rebuttal, as you proved my point. We have plenty of laws on things kids are not allowed to partake in here in the US. However its not against the law in the US for a parent to take a child to a R rated movie. If that changes and it becomes against the law, well that is a different discussion. Until then its a parents discretion on whether they want to bring their child to an R rated movie, and not really the business of others. Sure people will have opinions, but its not really their right or even place to say anything about it, as its not their kid.
I really don't understand. I replied to your post about kids maturity, but the rest of my comment had nothing to do with your post. I wasn't rebutting anything; I just didn't feel like making two posts. For clarity, I've edited my previous post to remove the comment about kids' maturity and any reference to your previous comment.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really don't understand. I replied to your post about kids maturity, but the rest of my comment had nothing to do with your post. I wasn't rebutting anything; I just didn't feel like making two posts. For clarity, I've edited my previous post to remove the comment about kids' maturity and any reference to your previous comment.
I ignored the other part of your post as I didn't feel like debating it, as we see differently on maturity level. But I did comment on the rest as it really proves my point. The US is made of laws on what we as a society has deemed acceptable not and acceptable, especially when it comes to kids. And until otherwise noted while there maybe some that disagree with it, in this country there is no law against a parent bring their kid to an R rated movie. And its not up to others to tell any parent in this situation what they can or cannot do with their child.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, I know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. But you don't actually believe that right? Just because a kid might be able to do algebra at 6, doesn't mean their brains are in any way fully developed. Plus that's a extremely miniscule percentage of 6yr olds. I'd have to go back and check, but the brain doesn't fully mature until like 18-25yrs old. So I really don't care how much math a 6yr old can do, or how well they can read. It in no way means they are mature enough for something like Deadpool.
If I didn't believe it I won't be posting it. Its not up to you to tell me whether my kid is not advanced enough to handle a movie, that is my job as a parent.

DKampy

Honestly, the last few pages of this thread seem almost upside down to me. In my experience, it’s normally right-leaning people who argue that parents should have the last say and left-leaning people who argue the opposite. The former viewpoint does not seem newfangled to me.
I am of the belief no one should care what their neighbors are doing…. As long as they are not hurting anyone and they are happy it should not matter… even if I don’t agree with them

Wendy Pleakley

I ignored the other part of your post as I didn't feel like debating it, as we see differently on maturity level. But I did comment on the rest as it really proves my point. The US is made of laws on what we as a society has deemed acceptable not and acceptable, especially when it comes to kids. And until otherwise noted while there maybe some that disagree with it, in this country there is no law against a parent bring their kid to an R rated movie. And its not up to others to tell any parent in this situation what they can or cannot do with their child.

I think it's fine to discuss because laws come into place when people are incapable or unwilling to follow reasonable social norms.

If people are aware of the guidelines and making informed decisions, it's fine. If parents are routinely letting extremely young kids watch R-rated movies, laws may become necessary at some point.

Most teenagers are probably fine watching something like Deadpool. Parents can decide on a case by case basis if that's not the case.

When I see examples like my teacher friend whose grade 3 students are watching Squid Game, that's where I become concerned. Why are those parents not enforcing reasonable limits on what their kids watch?

DKampy

In reference to the Pegging joke… that line could have been in a PG-13 film…. Which most parents don’t actually pay attention to the content in a PG-13…. So a kid could still have those conversations

LittleBuford

I am of the belief no one should care what their neighbors are doing…. As long as they are not hurting anyone and they are happy it should not matter… even if I don’t agree with them
I believe exposing children to age-inappropriate content can be harmful to their development and mental health. So from that perspective, I certainly do care if parents take their children to see violent horror movies. That the US (together with Anglophone Canada) is such an exception in this regard should tell you something.

ETA: To be clear, I don’t count Deadpool and Wolverine among those films that would cause a child harm, even if I think it’s inappropriate viewing for them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it's fine to discuss because laws come into place when people are incapable or unwilling to follow reasonable social norms.

If people are aware of the guidelines and making informed decisions, it's fine. If parents are routinely letting extremely young kids watch R-rated movies, laws may become necessary at some point.

Most teenagers are probably fine watching something like Deadpool. Parents can decide on a case by case basis if that's not the case.

When I see examples like my teacher friend whose grade 3 students are watching Squid Game, that's where I become concerned. Why are those parents not enforcing reasonable limits on what their kids watch?
TV is a bit different than movies in a theater in my opinion. With TV shows parents are not always aware of what kids are watching.

But with a R rated movie where the parent has to make a conscious choice to bring their kid, they are usually informed and aware for the most part from my experience. So its not like the parent in this case is dropping their kid off to the movies and they are just hitting up an R rated movie without the parents knowledge, so its a different situation.

I don't think we need additional laws on this topic. I've always had an issue with laws that try to dictate morality, as that gets away from personal freedoms this country was founded on.

Wendy Pleakley

TV is a bit different than movies in a theater in my opinion. With TV shows parents are not always aware of what kids are watching.

But with a R rated movie where the parent has to make a conscious choice to bring their kid, they are usually informed and aware for the most part from my experience. So its not like the parent in this case is dropping their kid off to the movies and they are just hitting up an R rated movie without the parents knowledge, so its a different situation.

I don't think we need additional laws on this topic. I've always had an issue with laws that try to dictate morality, as that gets away from personal freedoms this country was founded on.

It's no doubt possible for parents to be unaware of kids TV and internet viewing, but are they putting in some effort? Using parental controls? Checking watch history? Looking in occasionally while their kids watch TV?

There may be less control but there's no reason for parents to be completely in the dark. How do kids watch an entire Netflix series without any parental awareness?

I don't think it's about morality. It's more about things like emotional maturity. I have no moral qualms about a movie in which fictional dinosaurs eat people, but it might give a very young child nightmares.

When parents fail to have reasonable restrictions, that's when the question about laws comes up.

I'm not a child psychologist or anything but media can be traumatizing for children. Heck, as an adult I know there are things I shouldn't watch for my own mental well being. I can make that determination. Kids need parents to protect them to a degree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom