Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You act as if he's not just merely retreading the greatest hits from two years ago on this movie/topic. None of this is news.
That addresses what I said in no way…

And I’m well aware…it’s been a long, illogical, STOOOPID battle her.

To run interference for a poorly run corporation…mostly

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait until they find out I can successfully round up every gay man over age 60 in southwest Utah (there's only 8 of us, 10 if you count the two old Lesbians that live in a yurt near Zion National Park) and I host Mimosa-fueled brunches on my own patio!

When you are 400 miles from Silver Lake, you have to do something. :cool:
…of course I used to live/work in Orlando…so you don’t have to convince me that it’s always the most fun/ well planned parties

(Sorry…had to)

DKampy

Oh. Well, it didn't work.

And no wonder, because Disney's entire business model is built on decadent luxury and wasteful use of resources.

There's no good reason why you need giant air conditioned warehouses in a Florida swamp full of singing robots, on a property that encourages the entire audience to either fly across oceans or drive across multiple states to get there. The whole concept of Disney World and Disneyland is wasteful and practically sinful, at least if you really do believe that using more energy than is required for your basic safety and health is bad for the planet.

Just the fleet of Gulfstream jets that Disney maintains at Van Nuys Airport to fly executives and company talent around the globe for business and leisure, just so they don't have to suffer the indignities of First Class commercial air travel with the peasants, undermines the preachy lecture against using energy that is contained in Strange World.

DSC04677-HDR_edited-1024x683.jpg
You sure have a lot of critique on a film you have never nor will ever seen

DKampy

I’ve watched all this crap…mostly out of curiousity…

Want to debate them? 🥸
Ah… It would probably be a boring debate… we would be too agreeable…I did not think Strange World was a good movie…. I don’t think your reasoning would be of the bigotry variety… even though you enjoy twisting words, jumping to conclusions and making up false quotes

Willmark

Wait until they find out I can successfully round up every gay man over age 60 in southwest Utah (there's only 8 of us, 10 if you count the two old Lesbians that live in a yurt near Zion National Park) and I host Mimosa-fueled brunches on my own patio!

When you are 400 miles from Silver Lake, you have to do something. :cool:
Are we talking about a full blown Mongolian yurt or one of those new fangled ones off of camping world?

Either look pretty sweet, but I’m thinking one comes furnished with yak cheese and milk rather than mimosas.

Ghost93

…what would you know…it’s only YOUR LIFE AND EXPERIENCES…

…you also caught some of the accusers off guard (my guess)…because they had no clue until you just said it. I bet you had the backwards bigot label until now.
There are many minorities that will betray their own kind because they desperately seek the approval of the bigoted society they are raised in. There are many gay or black people that could have internalized homophobia or racism, even if they are not conscious of it.

I knew I was gay when I was a child and I would have loved to have seen gay representation in movies. It would have made me feel less alone in the world. Don't use TP200 as a shield for homophobia, he does NOT speak for the majority of the gay community.

Casper Gutman

Well if we absolutely MUST talk about the box office, I will say that I am happy with Inside Out 2's performance, because I love theatrical moviegoing and this is a much-needed win for theaters.
At this point, it seems very likely Disney wins the 2024 box office. The major open questions are whether Moana 2 harms the franchise despite making lots of money and whether Mufasa shows that TLMs underperformance was an outlier or a trend.

Ghost93

At this point, it seems very likely Disney wins the 2024 box office. The major open questions are whether Moana 2 harms the franchise despite making lots of money and whether Mufasa shows that TLMs underperformance was an outlier or a trend.
I'm desperately hoping the Moana 2 situation turns out more like Toy Story 2 (which was originally meant to be direct-to-video) and less like Atlantis: Milo's Return (which was three episodes of an abandoned TV show hastily cobbled together in movie form).

But I'm skeptical about the reliability of Walt Disney Animation Studios. Unlike Pixar, which has mostly released good/great movies in the past five years, Disney has given us mediocre movies like Frozen 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Strange World and Wish. Encanto seems to be a fluke.

Casper Gutman

I'm desperately hoping the Moana 2 situation turns out more like Toy Story 2 (which was originally meant to be direct-to-video) and less like Atlantis: Milo's Return (which was three episodes of an abandoned TV show hastily cobbled together in movie form).

But I'm skeptical about the reliability of Walt Disney Animation Studios. Unlike Pixar, which has mostly released good/great movies in the past five years, Disney has given us mediocre movies like Frozen 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Strange World and Wish. Encanto seems to be a fluke.
I really liked Ralph 2, but I think Moana 2 is a big mistake made out of desperation. It seems like a really good way to derail a lucrative franchise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are many minorities that will betray their own kind because they desperately seek the approval of the bigoted society they are raised in. There are many gay or black people that could have internalized homophobia or racism, even if they are not conscious of it.

I knew I was gay when I was a child and I would have loved to have seen gay representation in movies. It would have made me feel less alone in the world. Don't use TP200 as a shield for homophobia, he does NOT speak for the majority of the gay community.

I’m not denying bigotry and homophobia. I’m not 22…I have the life experience to know better.

What I’m saying is I’ve talked with TP privately and he is NOT what you just described.

The whole point…and thanks for adding Low grade fuel to the fire of the few…is that bigotry is being used as a blanket cop out in lieu of honest conversation about Disney’s decisions…

That certainly doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It’s a low dignity excuse to run to it when math doesn’t look good.

We can do better

Last edited:

DKampy

Instead of labeling it "bigotry", I think it's an issue of context and timing for most parents when their kids are pre-teens.

I'm a very mature adult gay man who certainly enjoys watching movies with gays and Lesbians in them, or (even better) with gay campy themes. But when my nephews were 8 and 10 years old I would not have taken them to see Strange World, as that's just too young for me to get involved in that sort of discussion or topic. If the nephews were 14 and 16, then sure, I'd take them to Strange World if they wanted to see it. But 10 or younger? Nope.

I'd imagine my younger sister, who was very supportive of my coming out experience decades ago and my only family ally for years, would feel the same way about taking her young sons to see Strange World.

It seems that Disney pushed the envelope too much for a family cartoon with Strange World. What sounds like a great movie idea to a bunch of childless gay men at brunch in Silver Lake, is likely not going to sound that great to middle class parents of young children in Savannah. Disney should stick to making their family cartoons for the parents budgeting their entertainment dollars in Savannah, instead of the gays having a second round of Mimosas in Silver Lake. :cool:

View attachment 793250
Perhaps I don’t get it… I am a straight white Male who has never and will never have children…although I don’t have an issue with my niece and nephew watching such content. But neither does my brother with his kids… as far as I can tell Wisconsin is middle America… so as part of the LBGTQ+ community enlighten me…. What is the difference between a gay character in Strange Workd and a non- binary character on Elemental…. Seeing as the latter was a word of mouth leggy film and also one of the top streaming movies on all platforms last year

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Probably…if inside out gets to 10 figures and Deadpool does as expected?

Not sure about the others

I think redundant lion king may flame out and Moana will do well.

Moana has very good brand appeal. Moreso than a lot of others they seem to be fixated on…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom