Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TalkingHead

The only exceptions were Inside Out 2 and IF, but neither of them were conventional trailers -- they were interview-format promotional blurbs. Very strange stuff.
I’ve seen quite a few of those interview-style trailers. Thought the one for Poor Things was like sticking training wheels on the movie to head off any social media uproar.

celluloid

I’ve seen quite a few of those interview-style trailers. Thought the one for Poor Things was like sticking training wheels on the movie to head off any social media uproar.

That is part of it. The other part is the personality and marketing in a style that is more genuine and ethos that audiences are now used to through social media. Statistically, it works fairly well. And is not exactly a brand-new thing.

brideck

That is part of it. The other part is the personality and marketing in a style that is more genuine and ethos that audiences are now used to through social media. Statistically, it works fairly well. And is not exactly a brand-new thing.

I'd definitely seen the Poor Things one a ton of times last fall, but it strikes me as an odd approach for family/kids movies. Are there a lot of 8-12 year olds out there caring about this stuff as opposed to what the movie actually is?

Last edited:

DKampy

Interesting enough…I know it only has 7 reviews… Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey 2 now has 100%on Rotten Tomatoes… the last one had 3%… I am not sure if I will see it or not as I did not care for the last one… even as a cheap B movie

BuddyThomas

Interesting enough…I know it only has 7 reviews… Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey 2 now has 100%on Rotten Tomatoes… the last one had 3%… I am not sure if I will see it or not as I did not care for the last one… even as a cheap B movie
I’ll see it. Then again, I’ll see anything. I was planning to see it after work today but for some reason I woke up at 4AM this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I was pretty exhausted by the end of the workday. Tomorrow (Wednesday)I was going to see The Who’sTommy on Broadway but if I can’t find a good ticket that isn’t an absolute fortune, Blood and Honey 2, here I come. 🤣

celluloid

I'd definitely seen the Poor Things one a ton of times last fall, but it strikes me as an odd approach for family/kids movies. Are there a lot of 8-12 year olds out there caring about this stuff as opposed to what the movie actually is?
Well they are hybrids.
That is the funniest part. This carries over to what children watch as well.

Advertisements on kids youtube no longer target children. The ad space targets the parents. And that is what these interviews are an attempt to do. A marketing shift of the last five years.

Paul Zaloom actually had a good point about this(you may remember his work from Beakman's World)

Its a very different environment in that way. I don't love it, but one asked, and its the current trend.

Tony the Tigger

I’ll see it. Then again, I’ll see anything. I was planning to see it after work today but for some reason I woke up at 4AM this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I was pretty exhausted by the end of the workday. Tomorrow (Wednesday)I was going to see The Who’sTommy on Broadway but if I can’t find a good ticket that isn’t an absolute fortune, Blood and Honey 2, here I come. 🤣
The Huey Lewis one is half price…seriously debating a flight.

TP2000

Box Office is out for Thursday, previewing this upcoming Easter weekend box office. Nothing in the Top 10 from any of Disney's various studios obviously, and Luca is at #12 with 1,390 theaters averaging 48 bucks per theater.

Twelfth.jpg

For the domestic box office, it looks like Luca will come in second behind Turning Red, and ahead of Soul, for this odd re-release strategy that Pixar had for these three films.

Three Fun Ones.jpg

Epcot81Fan

Box Office is out for Thursday, previewing this upcoming Easter weekend box office. Nothing in the Top 10 from any of Disney's various studios obviously, and Luca is at #12 with 1,390 theaters averaging 48 bucks per theater.

View attachment 775546

For the domestic box office, it looks like Luca will come in second behind Turning Red, and ahead of Soul, for this odd re-release strategy that Pixar had for these three films.

View attachment 775547

You're really underestimating the long-lasting cultural impact these Disney and Pixar movies are having.

When I see all of the merchandise at my local Target or kids walking around the parks with merch from Onward, Soul, Turning Red, Luca, Lightyear 2022, Raya and the Last Dragon, Strange World, Wish, etc. it's a powerful brand statement.

And if I hear one more movie quote from these films when I'm walking around my local mall, I'm going to smack somebody! Enough already! We get it, these movies are endlessly quotable!

Last edited:

celluloid

I am going to say that The Deal with The Devil's rising success and Abigail coming out from Blue House in two weeks means a mighty Challenge for the Omen film next week.

BrianLo

You're really underestimating the long-lasting cultural impact these Disney and Pixar movies are having.

When I see all of the merchandise at my local Target or kids walking around the parks with merch from Onward, Soul, Turning Red, Luca, Lightyear 2022, Raya and the Last Dragon, Strange World, Wish, etc. it's a powerful brand statement.

And if I hear one more movie quote from these films when I'm walking around my local mall, I'm going to smack somebody! Enough already! We get it, these movies are endlessly quotable!

Obviously Encanto is playing in the Moana/Frozen wheelhouse. Elemental seems to be Coco adjacent. I know you didn't mention those and I appreciate that sentiment that they are more of the obvious successes.

Turning Red and Luca though are a bit more popular than alluded to. They seem to occupy the Wall E, Up, Ratatouille, Big Hero Six type mental space. Which is to say Ratatouille has batted higher than it probably deserves to, but I don't think those two movies deserve to be on a forgotten list. Mei Mei has Baymax energy and I do see representation of both wandering around the park in terms of merchandise guests are wearing. Luca has been still churning quite popularly on streaming and Turning Red I think was the biggest of the three re-releases for a reason.

Whether Luca over-indexes like Ratatouille or is under-represented like Wall E is your and my best guess. I don't think that makes Luca bad in either case.

Raya and Soul are just going to be forgettable, Disney has way too many IP they juggle. Though Raya is added to the Princess lineup, which gives her an unfair advantage.

Strange World and lightyear are getting put on a shelf with chicken little, no argument from me.

Wish still confuses me - is it Raya and Soul or is it Strange World and Lightyear?

celluloid

Kong and Godzilla rocked the house at an 80 million opening domestic alone.

Remember when people said box office success would only be an anamolly? And yet the top four films playing right now are all going to be profitable in theater box office alone. Three of which being extremes of this week's release of Kong x Kong, Dune and Kung Fu Panda have also been smash hit at the box office respectively.

Even Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. The movie that was panned critically will make bucks before it leaves theatrical box office.
They were all released this month.

Animaniac93-98

After such a rough time last year (Barbie being the exception), I'm sure WB is happy they got 3 hits in a row with Wonka, Dune 2 and Godzilla x Kong. Aquaman 2 not tanking as bad as expected probably was a sigh of relief too.

Color Purple was their biggest recent disappointment. A $100 million movie that made $67 million worldwide. Far less than myself and others were expecting, especially after an $18 million opening day.

TP2000

Box Office is out for the Easter weekend. As we all know, Disney is absent from theaters except for the bizarre re-release of Pixar's Luca, which spent its second (and its last?) weekend down at #18 in 1,390 theaters.

Weekend1.jpg

Weekend2.jpg

But this was also the weekend that Kung Fu Panda outperformed Wish at the overseas box office. Here's how that looks for Kung Fu Panda on its 4th weekend in theaters, with Migration thrown in just for more context on how Disney is performing in its traditional family film business. :oops:

Three Different Tales.jpg

Kung Fu Panda: Budget $85, Marketing $43, Domestic $81, Overseas $78 = $31 Million Profit
Migration:
Budget $72, Marketing $36, Domestic $76, Overseas $66 = $34 Million Profit
Wish:
Budget $200, Marketing $100, Domestic $38, Overseas $70 = $192 Million Loss

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom