Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tony the Tigger

Do any of you have this nearby?

I was thinking about giving it a shot tonight; then again there are so few movies that interest me…what are the chances it will be worth the trip? 🤪

View attachment 774683

I’ve seen this advertised once before, but I don’t remember it being called “scream,” so I wonder if that’s a hint that it’s a horror flick.
Answering my own question with a Reddit thread. Yes, scream = horror, and here’s the recent list of films they’ve shown - most not on my watch list.

IMG_3821.jpeg
IMG_3822.jpeg

brideck

I was thinking about giving it a shot tonight; then again there are so few movies that interest me…what are the chances it will be worth the trip? 🤪

I’ve seen this advertised once before, but I don’t remember it being called “scream,” so I wonder if that’s a hint that it’s a horror flick.

Yeah, there are Scream Unseens (which are horror) and Screen Unseens (which are any other kind of movie). We saw Origin at a Screen Unseen earlier this year. They give the runtime (which is not 100% accurate) and the rating, so you can generally predict or narrow down what the movie will be.

The sleuths are indecisive on this one -- either Sting or The First Omen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Answering my own question with a Reddit thread. Yes, scream = horror, and here’s the recent list of films they’ve shown - most not on my watch list.

View attachment 774686View attachment 774687

Based on the release schedule, it has to be First Omen, right?

Yeah, there are Scream Unseens (which are horror) and Screen Unseens (which are any other kind of movie). We saw Origin at a Screen Unseen earlier this year. They give the runtime (which is not 100% accurate) and the rating, so you can generally predict or narrow down what the movie will be.

The sleuths are indecisive on this one -- either Sting or The First Omen.
Given that the runtime listed is 1hr 45mins, with First Omen being 2hrs and Sting being 1hr 31mins, it can't be either of those.

The only one that is close that I can see is Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey 2 at 1hr 40mins.

And yes they are having this at my local AMC also.

brideck

Given that the runtime listed is 1hr 45mins, with First Omen being 2hrs and Sting being 1hr 31mins, it can't be either of those.

The only one that is close that I can see is Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey 2 at 1hr 40mins.

And yes they are having this at my local AMC also.

The thought seems to be that AMC & Regal usually do the same movie, and Regal has all but confirmed Sting for today. The last one (Arthur the King) was off by a significant amount of time, too.

Blood & Honey 2 is a Fathom event so it would be very strange for it to be that, but anything's possible.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The thought seems to be that AMC & Regal usually do the same movie, and Regal has all but confirmed Sting for today. The last one (Arthur the King) was off by a significant amount of time, too.

Blood & Honey 2 is a Fathom event so it would be very strange for it to be that, but anything's possible.
Ok, runtime being off by almost 15 minutes seem weird to me as I could see a few minutes but 15 is a lot. But I've never attended these advanced screenings before so don't know if that's normal or not. 🤷‍♂️

BuddyThomas

View attachment 774683

Yes it’s a horror for sure. They do those up here all the time. It could be anything since there are so many horror movies coming out soon.

brideck

Ok, runtime being off by almost 15 minutes seem weird to me as I could see a few minutes but 15 is a lot. But I've never attended these advanced screenings before so don't know if that's normal or not. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, it's normally a lot closer, but the last one was apparently off by 13 mins. Maybe they're just trying to obfuscate it a little better? You're really not supposed to know what it is ahead of time, but it's been pretty easy to tell in the past.

BuddyThomas

I hate to admit it but I really didn’t like Late Night with the Devil. I went in wanting to love it, and while it was happening, it was good enough. But that ending. If anyone wants to explain the ending of that film to me, I’d be happy to hear it.
Eehhhh, never mind. I googled “Late Night with the Devil ending explained” and 17 bazillion sites pop up. If it takes that many people to explain the ending of a 90 minute horror film, that’s a problem.

Tony the Tigger

Eehhhh, never mind. I googled “Late Night with the Devil ending explained” and 17 bazillion sites pop up. If it takes that many people to explain the ending of a 90 minute horror film, that’s a problem.
We might go see this tonight, just because it’s what’s-his-face’s night off. 😆

I hope the ending isn’t too terrible, but I saw those kinds of things pop up as well when I googled LNWTD reviews.

Not much else looks good.

BuddyThomas

We might go see this tonight, just because it’s what’s-his-face’s night off. 😆

I hope the ending isn’t too terrible, but I saw those kinds of things pop up as well when I googled LNWTD reviews.

Not much else looks good.
It’s definitely a well made movie and I am in the minority complaining about the ending. Definitely go see it with what’s his face. 😛

brideck

I could take a crack at this for you at some point. I'm not 100% convinced it stuck the landing for me (e.g. it seemingly abandoned the framing device), but I think I could at least manage the what of the thing. What aspect of the ending are you having particular trouble with?

I'm also not sure I'll ever see it again, but it's definitely the kind of movie that would bear a second watch -- there's some stuff that's only briefly mentioned or shown that seem ultimately important to the ending.

BuddyThomas

I could take a crack at this for you at some point. I'm not 100% convinced it stuck the landing for me (e.g. it seemingly abandoned the framing device), but I think I could at least manage the what of the thing. What aspect of the ending are you having particular trouble with?

I'm also not sure I'll ever see it again, but it's definitely the kind of movie that would bear a second watch -- there's some stuff that's only briefly mentioned or shown that seem ultimately important to the ending.
I pretty much have it at this point. I looked at a lot of the “ending explained” sites. I see what they were going for. Didn’t work so well for me, but again, I recognize that I am in the minority.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

View attachment 774683

View attachment 774686View attachment 774687
We do it here and there. It's 5$ and we get out of the house. (my wife is not very mobile) We get drinks and snacks and make it a night. My thoughts are 70% good on our picks. The bad ones were $5 that we would have paid the same for our drinks and snacks in a bar. I don't know you Tony, but I think I have learned a lot about you from your posts. If you have and itch and you can scratch it for $5, then do it! Hopefully down the road you and Brian have schedules that meet up better. I worked midnights for a long time as a cop, and my wife worked 2nd watch. I know how tough it can be and sometimes the empty time is rough, but you seem to fill it well. I know the empty house now sucks. When you are ready you need to fill that void. Please do it with another rescue. (or 2?)

Tony the Tigger

I pretty much have it at this point. I looked at a lot of the “ending explained” sites. I see what they were going for. Didn’t work so well for me, but again, I recognize that I am in the minority.
I dug it. And I pretty much understood the ending, but googled it anyway.

Reminds me a bit of the pacing of the Paranormal Activity movies, which I love.

There were parts of the ending I didn’t love (the whole film was very grounded up to a certain point.) But overall, totally worth a night out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, it's normally a lot closer, but the last one was apparently off by 13 mins. Maybe they're just trying to obfuscate it a little better? You're really not supposed to know what it is ahead of time, but it's been pretty easy to tell in the past.
Did we ever find out what the movie really was? Was it really Sting or was it something else?

brideck

Did we ever find out what the movie really was? Was it really Sting or was it something else?

It was indeed Sting, 14 mins off by runtime.

Me? I finally saw Wonka (in a theater, no less) last night. Pretty much all of the trailers (for kids movies I'd never heard of) were appalling. The only exceptions were Inside Out 2 and IF, but neither of them were conventional trailers -- they were interview-format promotional blurbs. Very strange stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom