Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disstevefan1

And it's already streaming on Peacock. I can't imagine it will last in theaters all that long.
WOW. it is! Thats cool!
Well, its #1 at the box office:
1698689258092.png

And its not leveled off yet:
1698689317352.png

And its already made WAY MORE than it cost to make just at the box office in 4 days.

I am very surprised actually.

At least we know its still possible to make a movie that MAKES MONEY at the box office.

celluloid

Here in the movie subforum, profit matters more than quality. Imagine if that sentiment were to guide the discussions taking place in other parts of the forum!

Who said quality was low other than the bitter? The audiences that are seeing it are rating the movies higher than critics. That happens a lot in the arts. There are always varying opinions inbetween.

Tha Realest

Now we are off to insulting people enjoying something for what it is. Great.

There are Haunted Mansions and there are Baymax Happy Rides, both can't be enjoyed.

We hit a nerve folks.

So what is this "really, really bad" you speak of? Without just regurgitating what someone else stated?
Don‘t you see? It’s a “deeply cynical” piece of filmmaking (for reasons he never explains, though it’s clear he despises the political beliefs of the game’s creator).

Unlike Disney, which entrusted their own popular horror IP to a director earlier this year that had to learn online (the weekend that his big film was opening, no less!) that the openly gay director was fired from the Lando TV series. That’s deeply cynical.

Casper Gutman

Don‘t you see? It’s a “deeply cynical” piece of filmmaking (for reasons he never explains, though it’s clear he despises the political beliefs of the game’s creator).

Unlike Disney, which entrusted their own popular horror IP to a director earlier this year that had to learn online (the weekend that his big film was opening, no less!) that the openly gay director was fired from the Lando TV series. That’s deeply cynical.
What in the world are you rambling about?

By the way, since we all revere cinemascores now, I’d point out that both the live action Little Mermaid and Elemental scored an A, higher than Five Nights. So we’re all agreed those are excellent films.

celluloid

By the way, since we all revere cinemascores now, I’d point out that both the live action Little Mermaid and Elemental scored an A, higher than Five Nights. So we’re all agreed those are excellent films.

I did not see The Little Mermaid but I know it would not interest me. That's fine, you can say those are excellent films too as far as people liking them. But it means under the same metric you would say Five Nights at Freddy's is not a "really, really bad movie" As a matter of fact, it wins both.

So using both metrics...

Cinemascore and profit. Disney is not doing so hot there for either of them.

So we have a B+ that earned double its investment and more.

Or an A that did not.

Hmmm...

Tha Realest

What in the world are you rambling about?

It’s unclear to me how FNAF is “deeply cynical” filmmaking. You clearly have an axe to grind against this film, and horror in general. Implicit in your comments are that Disney’s motives are not cynical.

celluloid

It really doesn’t matter…profitable.

Yes…that is the goal.

Unlike the haunted mansion that used the script of Clean and Sober

To me is it a testament to it. It was known it would be on Peacock for months and months. Yet, it still rocked the house and broke October records.

I knew from the fandom it would be a success, but not that big.

celluloid

My point is that, by the logic of this subforum (or a good portion of those participating in it), it’s irrelevant whether Elemental was good or not. It didn’t turn a profit and is therefore a failure.

Two different metrics, this is a box office forum thread, so it would be on profitability first or only.

The box office has no care for if a movie is good, other than word of mouth and generating more business.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Here in the movie subforum, profit matters more than quality. Imagine if that sentiment were to guide the discussions taking place in other parts of the forum!
Quality is subjective though, I think movies like the Fast and the Furious are the worst things ever made but they makes billions so a lot of people must think they’re good.

Some people judge a movie on its “artistic merit”, some people judge a movie on its “social message”, but I think for the most part audiences judge a movie purely on its ability to entertain them for a few hours and let them forget about the real world.

Thats where I think modern Disney has lost its way, they inject so many real world issues into their movies they no longer provide an escape from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom