Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

flynnibus

Premium Member
What has changed?

I’m seeing ads for Disney wish on my streaming apps… can’t say the same for most of disney’s other releases this year…

Casper Gutman

OK I am wrong. Two anomalies in a row.

Or maybe Mario and Five Nights simply have mass appeal.
Yes, both are uniquely suitable for translation into film and had huge audiences that had anticipated them for years. I honestly don’t think there are many (any?) other games with the same mix of elements. Grand Theft Auto, for instance, is one of the most successful pieces of media in history, but I don’t think a film adaptation moves the needle.

celluloid

Yes, both are uniquely suitable for translation into film and had huge audiences that had anticipated them for years. I honestly don’t think there are many (any?) other games with the same mix of elements. Grand Theft Auto, for instance, is one of the most successful pieces of media in history, but I don’t think a film adaptation moves the needle.

It definitely would. Being good would be a big bonus and likely earn it more.

Universal is making better liked movies than Disney in both family and horror categories.

Dranth

Wow. FNaF only cost 20M to make, LOL.
Box office gross is already 130M after only 4 days, LOL.

Movies made from video games always do well.
Video game movies have a long-storied tradition of being terrible and flopping at the box office. With a few exceptions, they really did badly until recently which I think is partly due to more of the population has now grown-up playing games vs. before when most had not. Still, they aren't doing great outside of a mega franchise like Mario.

Five Nights is a weird phenomenon as a game that as a movie can also tap into the cheap horror well spring we are currently living through but I wouldn't try and use as a comparison to future successes.

I would say Gran Turismo is more typical of a traditional video game movie that doesn't have some oversized cultural pull, which outside of a handful of franchises, most don't.

Disstevefan1

Video game movies have a long-storied tradition of being terrible and flopping at the box office. With a few exceptions, they really did badly until recently which I think is partly due to more of the population has now grown-up playing games vs. before when most had not. Still, they aren't doing great outside of a mega franchise like Mario.

Five Nights is a weird phenomenon as a game that as a movie can also tap into the cheap horror well spring we are currently living through but I wouldn't try and use as a comparison to future successes.

I would say Gran Turismo is more typical of a traditional video game movie that doesn't have some oversized cultural pull, which outside of a handful of franchises, most don't.
I stand corrected on video game movies.

It sure looks like Mario and Five Nights came out at the right time to successful, or are simply good movies with mass appeal.

I think its Disney's "Wish" that they could be as successful right now.

Lets see what happens.

celluloid

Gran Tourismo made the mistake of not telling the story sincerely while trying to tap into a "true" story and going all meta

It is a race won by someone who trained via a video game rather than focus on a good story on its own. Mario and Five Nights went that angle, and it paid off.

As far as genre and basis itself, as you pointed out, people have become more accepting once it is done well. Plus everything has its season. Uncharted, Sonic, Mario and Five Nights are in season with varying degrees of decent to smash hit like any movie being based on book or legend. I don't think Five Nights is a weird phenomenon. If the games had just come out I would say so, but its material and lore have been building for over a decade now in more than a few mediums. That is a multi generational in a pop culture sense.

And the two this year that were smash hits, notice were produced by the same parent studio. They were focused on having good stories first in their own medium. The rest was fan service.

Disstevefan1

And the two this year that were smash hits, notice were produced by the same parent studio. They were focused on having good stories first
Trophy.png

celluloid

We seem to be losing sight of the fact that Five Nights is really, really bad, worse then anything Disney released this year.

Audience score disagrees with you, as do I, completely. Its not Citizen Kane for the arts, but it is right on par and in some bits slightly better than what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom