Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure it is. Just as there have been characters other than Bruce Wayne appearing as Batman, or multiple character other than T’Challa taking the mantle of Black Panther. It’s the next iteration of the character, and it’s been happening in the comics for years. Some fans may or may not agree with that, but Steve Rogers character more than had a full arc.
I don’t disagree…
But you retired a 35 year old Chris evans after 6 really well oiled movies in an arc of 9 years…

Maybe it feels “unnatural” in our 3 dimensional world? And that’s why the traction won’t be their?

Tha Realest

I don’t disagree…
But you retired a 35 year old Chris evans after 6 really well oiled movies in an arc of 9 years…

Maybe it feels “unnatural” in our 3 dimensional world? And that’s why the traction won’t be their?
I just don’t see where else the character could go. I don't think they wanted to keep paying him what he would’ve demanded either.

That said, as good as the arc initially felt, I have to wonder why he would have sat aside during all the tragedies of the late 20th/ early 21st centuries.

Casper Gutman

Inside
I don’t disagree…

This has been explained to you many, many times...

Chris Evans WANTED TO LEAVE. He has free will. He had already played the character more often then almost any screen actor in history played a part. Actors don't like studios controlling their entire lives - witness endless stories from the studio era like Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart rebelling against WB. Often its a mistake by the actor, but it's THIER MISTAKE TO MAKE. Do you think MGM wanted Daniel Craig to walk away from Bond?

Casper Gutman

Except Batman is a normal guy with toys who can give his cape and toys to a new normal guy.

Black Panther has special powers given to him through a special ceremony than can be passed down to a new person with a special ceremony.

This is completely different.

It would be like saying some guy out of a sports bar is now “taking the mantle of Superman” because he has tights and a cape.

What made Captain America interesting (and Evan’s portrayal so charming) was that he was from a different time, the patriotic 1940’s as well as having super human strength to wield the shield.

But hey, it’s not up to my personal opinion, we will know next summer how audiences around the world feel about this “Captain America”.

Take the under.
You're missing the entire point of Cap. His super human attributes are strictly secondary - quite frankly, his strength level is often indistinguishable from that of non-enhanced heroes, since every characters strength and ability gets boosted or diminished to fit the narrative necessity of a given conflict. What matters is that he represents UNIVERSAL and TIMELESS American values - he's absolutely not an elderly guy grumbling about the "old days." In fact, as often as not he's used explicitly to dismiss romanticized views of the past and discredit attacks on modern social and cultural standards. Being Captain America is something ANYONE who embodies certain values can do - and many have. It has nothing to do with super strength. It's one of the superhero identities that is the LEAST tied to an individual. And the idea that its tied to the 40s could not be more antithetical to the character.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Inside

This has been explained to you many, many times...

Chris Evans WANTED TO LEAVE. He has free will. He had already played the character more often then almost any screen actor in history played a part. Actors don't like studios controlling their entire lives - witness endless stories from the studio era like Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart rebelling against WB. Often its a mistake by the actor, but it's THIER MISTAKE TO MAKE. Do you think MGM wanted Daniel Craig to walk away from Bond?

And I’m not bother telling you that there is a PR/negotiating angle to EVERYTHING and they can say whatever they want to that end.

If you’re gonna wait for Disney to tell you everything from behind a podium…you’re gonna look stupid on repeat.

There could be multiple factors to why he left…and they may not all boil down to “he wanted to”

First day amongst humans?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don’t see where else the character could go. I don't think they wanted to keep paying him what he would’ve demanded either.

That said, as good as the arc initially felt, I have to wonder why he would have sat aside during all the tragedies of the late 20th/ early 21st centuries.
I agree with a lot of that…

But I believe they “woke” him in 2010? So as to not make it more complicated than it needed to be?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While Falcon doesn't have super powers, his new suit was made with Wakandan technology. This puts in line with Tony Stark, who also doesn't have super powers, but an advanced suit.

I hope because of that, Captain America Sam has a place in Armor Wars.

Tha Realest

I agree with a lot of that…

But I believe they “woke” him in 2010? So as to not make it more complicated than it needed to be?
1st iteration, yes

But at the end of Endgame, he traveled back in time to live out his days with Peggy. Those years were the years where he sat by as the following occurred: political assassinations of 1960’s, Jonestown Massacre, Challenger explosion, Chernobyl, 9/11, etc

Casper Gutman

1st iteration, yes

But at the end of Endgame, he traveled back in time to live out his days with Peggy. Those years were the years where he sat by as the following occurred: political assassinations of 1960’s, Jonestown Massacre, Challenger explosion, Chernobyl, 9/11, etc
We don’t know that he sat those out - according to MCU logic, by going back he created a new timeline that split off from the primary one. The real question is how he got back to that bench - he would have had to universe hop.

I’d actually really love a Mr and Mrs Carter film, a 50s set adventure in which Peggy and Steve (either plainclothes or as an alternate ID like Nomad) work as a couple to thwart the revival of Hydra Steve knows is taking place.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1st iteration, yes

You mean interfere with history such that Hydra or Thanos won? Or create a situation where he couldn't have been sent back in time to 'fix' all the problems in history?

Endgame established you couldn't change the past, at least without the help of the TVA.

TP2000

1st iteration, yes

And those are just the things an American watching Walter Cronkite or Tom Brokaw on the nightly news would have known about.

I rarely get humanist like this, but there were huge disasters in the 20th century that didn't kill Americans or Eurpeans. The Bhopal chemical plant disaster comes to mind. The killing fields of Cambodia. The horrors and genocides of continental Africa. The scourge of Communism and how they killed and imprisoned their own political enemies. The brutal rapes and murders and tortures conducted by Iran and other Muslim nations on their own peoples. Etc.

Sure, he's Captain America, so he should focus on Americans. But so much death and misery and brutality occurred in the late 20th century in foreign lands and miserable countries and cultures that weren't known to TV viewers in Ohio.

Indy_UK

Google “covid.” There may have been reduced attendance at theaters amid all the dying. They didn’t just randomly throw everything on D+ for no reason.

We are past that now and while I totally get why they dumped new cinema releases on Disney+ instead like Mulan they then set themselves up for people expecting Cinema releases too quickly.

I mean, why can’t they delay the release onto Disney+ by 6 months in order to give the cinema releases a better chance of people going to actually see them?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Google “covid.” There may have been reduced attendance at theaters amid all the dying. They didn’t just randomly throw everything on D+ for no reason.
There have been some pretty huge successes the last two years…avatar, babs and Mario off the top of my head…so to blame Covid for nobody going to see like 7 of the last 8 (and counting) movies from Disney run studios doesn’t even make a “blip” on the debate stage.

Tony the Tigger

Which way my entire point. The general public and Hollywood money machine doesn’t care about what comic book fans want…
The comic books are the source material. They are cannon. They rule the day. The comic books are being mined and picked to death by movie people who can’t seem to think of their own ideas.
What made Captain America interesting (and Evan’s portrayal so charming) was that he was from a different time, the patriotic 1940’s as well as having super human strength to wield the shield.
Does no one have an imagination?

Or a sense of reality?

First: actors age out or move on all the time. Directors want to make their mark or do something different. These are just people doing their jobs, doing things people do.

Second: why couldn’t they deal with all the questions in the film? It could be interesting to watch him struggle with these things. Maybe he gets some tech from Stark that makes personal strength less important.

You don’t just find other people with Cap’s same origin story to carry on when he dies. How boring (and unlikely) is that? He basically groomed his successor, so he knew personal physical strength was not a big issue.

Finally, these are superhero movies. Not exactly complex highbrow stuff. Most of the stories are silly. This is no more farfetched than most.

“Gee, I wish Evans was still Cap.” Get over it. We’re not children. I wish Scott Bakula would return to Quantum Leap. But I’m enjoying the new episodes for what they are.
There have been some pretty huge successes the last two years…avatar, babs and Mario off the top of my head…so to blame Covid for nobody going to see like 7 of the last 8 (and counting) movies from Disney run studios doesn’t even make a “blip” on the debate stage.
You’re not following the thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom