Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If she's not allowed to talk about acting as Snow White, why did she mention acting as Snow White at the union media event?
She’s allowed to talk about her own personal working conditions, that is it. Which is what she did while on the picket line that you keep quoting.

She is NOT allowed to talk about the film itself, plot, co-stars CG or otherwise, or anything to do with the overall production of the film.

So she isn’t suddenly being quiet, she’s following union rules for the strike. So complain to SAG-AFTRA if you disagree.

Once the strike is over I’m sure reporters will be tracking her down for comments on recent news about the movie.

TP2000

Once the strike is over I’m sure reporters will be tracking her down for comments on recent news about the movie.

With weekend negotiations happening as I type, and Door Dash drivers being sent to 5757 Wilshire Blvd. all night long, I can't wait to hear Miss Zegler's take on this one year delay and major rethink to her movie. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With weekend negotiations happening as I type, and Door Dash drivers being sent to 5757 Wilshire Blvd. all night long, I can't wait to hear Miss Zegler's take on this one year delay and major rethink to her movie. ;)
And the moment a deal is struck I’m sure someone from Disney will be reaching out to her team and giving her talking points.

Tony the Tigger

I’ve said it 100 times. Disneys movies budgets are out of control. They are awful at marketing their films and people simply know that they will arrive on Disney+ within weeks.

6 months minimum for cinema releases to go to Disney+

They only have themselves to blame
You do realize there was an obvious reason for that, right?

Communicora

Premium Member

Ghost93

Looks like Freddy’s is opening to about $78M (while also being available to stream for no incremental cost on Peacock).

So with a cheap horror film opening at $78M, a cheap concert film opening at $92M, the stage is set for a massive opening for The Marvels ($270M budget before rebates)!

We should start to see the explosive growth in demand any time now!

I never played the video games, but Five Nights at Freddy's might be the worst movie I've seen this year. It's just a failure as a horror movie — it's neither scary nor funny, just dull. I guess you have to be a fan of the games to appreciate it, because it's a failure as a movie.

So much of the runtime is devoted to Josh Hutcherson dealing with the guilt of letting a child murderer kidnap his younger brother. Hutcherson gives a great performance, but this entire subplot is SO serious that it feels like it belongs in a different kind of movie.

We've had so many great horror movies in the past two years — X, Pearl, Smile, The Black Phone, Nope, M3GAN, Skinamarink, Barbarian, Talk to Me, Evil Dead Rising etc. I was hoping Five Nights at Freddy's would be among them.

Tha Realest

I never played the video games, but Five Nights at Freddy's might be the worst movie I've seen this year. It's just a failure as a horror movie — it's neither scary nor funny, just dull. I guess you have to be a fan of the games to appreciate it, because it's a failure as a movie.

So much of the runtime is devoted to Josh Hutcherson dealing with the guilt of letting a child murderer kidnap his younger brother. Hutcherson gives a great performance, but this entire subplot is SO serious that it feels like it belongs in a different kind of movie.

We've had so many great horror movies in the past two years — X, Pearl, Smile, The Black Phone, Nope, M3GAN, Skinamarink, Barbarian, Talk to Me, Evil Dead Rising etc. I was hoping Five Nights at Freddy's would be among them.
You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but it’s got an A- Cinemascore, which generally translates to decent word of mouth.

CHOX

So with Snow White going back to the drawing board and being delayed for a full year until March 21st, 2025...

That's going to leave the first five months of 2024 without any movie release from any of Disney's studios. Here's the new 2024 release schedule from Disney's various studios, after Wish opens this November 22nd;

2024 Release Schedule

May 4th, Deadpool 3 from Marvel
June 14th, Inside Out 2 from Pixar
July 5th, Mufasa: The Lion King from Walt Disney
July 26th, Captain America: Brave New World from Marvel
August 16th, Alien from 20th Century Studios
November 8th, The Amateur from 20th Century Studios
December 20th, Thunderbolts from Marvel

And that's apparently it? That's one way to reduce your losses at the box office... by not releasing movies.

I’m on a Disney site and the Marvel ones are the only ones I know about.

Ghost93

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but it’s got an A- Cinemascore, which generally translates to decent word of mouth.
I suspect it's a situation where fans of the games like it due to fondness of the property, but that doesn't equate to good filmmaking. Cinemascore often has less to do with the quality of a film than it does with audiences feeling like they got what they paid for. In this instances, fans of the games were probably satisfied.

On the flipside, many great movies have gotten terrible cinema scores due to misleading marketing campaigns.

I'm glad Five Nights at Freddys is doing well because I always root for theatrical moviegoing to succeed. I just wish the movie itself was better.

DKampy

I saw the movie also and it is a poor horror movie… from what I heard is this one is just for fans of the game… which is still surprising to me because I did not find it scary at all and I have heard what made the original game so good was the scare factor… my only thought is it must of been full of member berries, but I am not familiar with the game at all so I’m not sure

Anyway as someone who loves the theatrical experience I also applaud it’s success

TP2000

Friday's box office data is in, and it gives us a good idea of how this final weekend of the Halloween season goes. Then we go into a couple week's lull before Thanksgiving's mega-budget tentpoles start coming out.

This Freddy's movie seems to be a huge hit. I have no idea who or what it's about, but obviously the kids like it.

The Creator and A Haunting In Venice are now nearing the end of their theatrical runs with a whimper. They both flopped and lost a lot of money for 20th Century Studios. 🥴

Halloween's Final Weekend.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom