News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

bartholomr4

Disney has demanded secrecy from Fox and the banks and has largely held the rumor lid tightly closed. It looks like Comcast was the source of much of the press on these deals. So Disney could very well be prepping another bid for SKY, we just wouldn't know until it happens.

I don't think Disney walks away from SKY without some understanding of getting something in return though.

U.K. Takeover Panel Confirms Price of Disney Mandatory Offer for Sky

The U.K. Takeover Panel confirmed Friday that Walt Disney would have to make a mandatory offer for Sky of 14 pounds ($18.28) a share if it buys the entertainment assets of 21st Century Fox, which include a stake in the U.K. company.
The regulatory body reiterated its July 13 ruling after a hearing held last week. There is a right to appeal the decision, the panel said.
Shareholders of Disney and Fox approved the $71 billion deal between the two companies on July 27. That transaction includes Fox's current 39% stake in Sky.
Disney will be obliged to make a GBP14-a-share bid for the remaining 61% in the British pay-TV group if it completes the acquisition of the Fox assets before Fox or Comcast buy Sky, the Takeover Panel said.
Comcast last month posted to Sky shareholders a takeover offer that values the company at GBP25.9 billion, or GBP14.75 a share. Sky shareholders have until Aug. 22 to accept the bid.

Indy_UK

Maybe Disney were waiting to see what they would be required to pay then before making a bid so they can offer the minimum

Rodan75

How long does Disney-Fox really have to make another offer if 8/22 is the Comcast deadline? Do we think they would push it to 8/17? Otherwise, next week could be interesting?

mab7689

How long does Disney-Fox really have to make another offer if 8/22 is the Comcast deadline? Do we think they would push it to 8/17? Otherwise, next week could be interesting?

Under UK takeover law they have 28 days from the date Comcast submitted their bid to make a counter bid. That gives them until the end of this Wednesday.
The 22nd applies to Comcast only and that is their deadline to put it to Sky shareholders to vote on. They are probably waiting to see if Fox's deadline elapses without action before doing anything themselves.

Rodan75

Under UK takeover law they have 28 days from the date Comcast submitted their bid to make a counter bid. That gives them until the end of this Wednesday.
The 22nd applies to Comcast only and that is their deadline to put it to Sky shareholders to vote on. They are probably waiting to see if Fox's deadline elapses without action before doing anything themselves.

Thanks. That is helpful. With Disney earnings on Tuesday, and the deadline Wednesday. Next week could be busy.

mab7689

bartholomr4

That is if they do elect to continue bidding of course. The earnings call on Tuesday may provide information on that either way.

To get really adventurous ...... Disney could match Comcast’s bid at 14.75, and force the thing to a shareholder vote.... If 18.2% of the remaining shareholders select Disney, they will control Sky(existing 39% that comes with FOX, plus 11% of the remaining 61%). They could sell it to Comcast if they choose, but buying just the 18.2% is cheaper than the current full bid they have on the table now. They could leverage that control into insure access for the Disney Streaming on Sky for say 10 years, and all the other bells and whistles they want to negotiate relative to Marvel, Hulu and Park access..... Comcast may raise their bid, but that would end up as more $$$for Disney.....

I think it is unliklely, but something to think about..... With the remaining regulatory approvals outstanding for Brazil, India and China, I am thinking the week will go by, and no increased Disney bid will come in, because Iger doesn’t want to upset the approval apple cart....

Indy_UK

I thought Fox wasn't going to bid themselves again? Maybe they are.

I'm thinking by being forced to sell off the regional sports and getting money back there, they may make a bid.

Personally I dont think 23 million is that exceptional when I think Hulu is hovering just under that for just a US based streaming service

mab7689

I thought Fox wasn't going to bid themselves again? Maybe they are.

I'm thinking by being forced to sell off the regional sports and getting money back there, they may make a bid.

Personally I dont think 23 million is that exceptional when I think Hulu is hovering just under that for just a US based streaming service

Well the Deadline article says 'expected' so they could be wrong

seascape

Well the Deadline article says 'expected' so they could be wrong
Disney and everyone else wanted BP to break 700 million. Did Disney do something to ensure it would? I think they probably did! So what. There are so many groups they could have worked with but it's strange nothing has come out. On the other hand maybe see another group did it. $50,000 is only 10,000 tickets at $5.00 each. 2 shows a day for 3 days is just 15 theaters is just 111.11 a show. If people cared enough it's easy to see it make it even without a push by Disney.

mab7689

Disney and everyone else wanted BP to break 700 million. Did Disney do something to ensure it would? I think they probably did! So what. There are so many groups they could have worked with but it's strange nothing has come out. On the other hand maybe see another group did it. $50,000 is only 10,000 tickets at $5.00 each. 2 shows a day for 3 days is just 15 theaters is just 111.11 a show. If people cared enough it's easy to see it make it even without a push by Disney.
Have you accidentally posted in the wrong thread here haha?

seascape

It will be interesting to see what the company reports tomorrow. Based on what is going on with the stock today it looks like Wall Street is expecting good results because the stock is way up and the value of the Fox merger is now over $38.00 a share now.

Rodan75

There was a big article about this topic a couple of weeks ago, essentially Disney has been goosing these grosses to pass thresholds of 'success' by using dollar theatres and drive-ins and working closely with those speciality houses to keep the movies playing by letting them do interesting double features. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, they are making good business decisions and likely getting movies to back-end participation levels as well. (the best examples are pushing Solo over $200M and A Wrinkle in Time to $100M)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was a big article about this topic a couple of weeks ago, essentially Disney has been goosing these grosses to pass thresholds of 'success' by using dollar theatres and drive-ins and working closely with those speciality houses to keep the movies playing by letting them do interesting double features. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, they are making good business decisions and likely getting movies to back-end participation levels as well. (the best examples are pushing Solo over $200M and A Wrinkle in Time to $100M)

Besides, if Disney didn't goose the numbers, it was so close to $700 million it would have always been rounded to that number in print. But then you'd have jerks always pointing out it didn't get to that number and it's a lie! Better to just spend the money to legitimize the printed number even if the means at the very end weren't so legit.

Next Big Thing

They didn't have to push to get Solo over $200M. Currently Solo sits at $213M domestic.

Rodan75

They didn't have to push to get Solo over $200M. Currently Solo sits at $213M domestic.

That is fair, but I think Solo had slightly better legs than they were expecting. But my overall point stands...here is the article I was referencing. I swear I originally saw a similar article discussing Solo, but I could be mistaken (because I can't find it now)

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/d...n-time-over-100-million-drive-ins-1201975953/

I really don't think there is anything wrong with this, it is just working the distribution network as good studios should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom