News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

seascape

And I think much of the discussion is that Disney wouldn't pay for these rights, but that Comcast may be willing to include these rights as a sweetener to make another more valuable financial transaction happen, namely the 39% of SKY.
If Disney let's Comcast have Sky for 12 billion and gets 17 billion for the RSNs and still ends the 20 billion dollar stock buy back plan what would you do? That is 49 billion. Paying off the 36 billion in debt for buying Fox still leaves 16 billion. I would expect they reinstate the buyback but I would rather have them build a Disney Parks in India and Brazil and a second one in China. With Star India is makes perfect sense to leverage that asset with a park. China is definitely big enough for a second location. Brazil while in an economic downturn is large enough to support a Disney park and building duringj a downturn is cheaper and the Fox Latin America assests would also help.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Actually resolving the Marvel conflicts between the 2 companies is good for both. I want healthy competition but that is good for both of them. Allowing Universal to keep Spiderman and Hulk not only in Orlando but worldwide is good for Universal. Also on international advertising it would stop confusion. Disney will be advertising Marvel themepark ridea around the world foir all their parks. Universal has the problem that they will only have a few Marvel rides in Orlando and nowhere else when at the same time they advertise HP, Simosons and others worldwide in all their parks. Plus if Universal buys Sony Pictures they can redo the entire deal and have the movie versions compared to the comic book version. Keep in mind that even if they bought Sony Pictures they cant use that version under the existing contract as the Sony Contract only gives Sony the rights to the movies, no merchandise, no themepark rights just the box office and Marvel gets a royalty cut.

I don't think that's clean at all. Clean would be all under one house IMO.

Marvel does not get a cut of the BO gross for Spider-man movies. They used to, but that changed in 2011 when Disney bought the 25% merchandise rights that Sony owned. As a result, Disney pays Sony for the BO gross (used to be 3.5% up to 35MM, but amended to be lower as part of the 2015 agreement).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its actually more like 'Disney doesn't have a reason to spend $3b so you can ride Marvel rides'. They have enough other properties to build out right now.

Plus - with this going the way it is, whatever Comcast is asking for those rights now might very well be much less in 5-10 years due to the types of things previously discussed in this thread.

Well...either way you get to this: Disney has no desire to pay for marvel rights and give up free licensing money to then invest a fortune building new stuff 7 miles away and take on huge longterm costs.

Let it GO, people!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney let's Comcast have Sky for 12 billion and gets 17 billion for the RSNs and still ends the 20 billion dollar stock buy back plan what would you do? That is 49 billion. Paying off the 36 billion in debt for buying Fox still leaves 16 billion. I would expect they reinstate the buyback but I would rather have them build a Disney Parks in India and Brazil and a second one in China. With Star India is makes perfect sense to leverage that asset with a park. China is definitely big enough for a second location. Brazil while in an economic downturn is large enough to support a Disney park and building duringj a downturn is cheaper and the Fox Latin America assests would also help.

Brazil is gonna collapse completely before its “Park worthy”

India? That would be “pleasant”

I got another idea: invest in the western world...where the people have always shown up no matter what.

Just a thought?

Indy_UK

Fox has some stale IP like Die Hard, Independence Day and Aliens but are also well known. I wonder what will happen to those. Get some new young directors to reboot them all and see what happens?

Although they are only gaining the distribution rights to Avatar (Cameron will still own the IP) I bet Disney will help finance and make $1 billion on each of those 4 sequels

Last edited:

Rodan75

I'm sure they are looking for the next Castle park location and any of the locations you mentioned, it becomes a higher % chance that Fox properties are included in that park.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do create a non-Castle park template as well and experiment with that as the only Disney Park in a country.

I also expect them to push outrageous amounts of money into DTC to compete with Netflix, it looks like they are already planning to go big. But they could go bigger.

seascape

Brazil is gonna collapse completely before its “Park worthy”

India? That would be “pleasant”

I got another idea: invest in the western world...where the people have always shown up no matter what.

Just a thought?
They have the existing profits from Disneyland and WDW to expand in the US. In fact they are. Maybe not as much as we would like but SWGE is going to kill it and the stuff going into Epcot and MK show Disney cares. They are also building more rooms for people to stay on property and a new transportation system. I find it crazy that so many people here post Disney is not spending. The thing to think about is that the purse strings are open now and for P&R to reach in if Comcast gets Sky. Expand now. Invest where the growth is and that is Asia and Latin America. I would like for a Park in Africa in about 20 years buy I have no idea where. Regardless Disney needs to grow everywhere.

ABQ

That's a whole lot to read.
But there's some really fun stuff at the very end.

The following table shows all transactions-related compensation of the named executive officers.

6-28-2018 10-14-33 AM.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have the existing profits from Disneyland and WDW to expand in the US. In fact they are. Maybe not as much as we would like but SWGE is going to kill it and the stuff going into Epcot and MK show Disney cares. They are also building more rooms for people to stay on property and a new transportation system. I find it crazy that so many people here post Disney is not spending. The thing to think about is that the purse strings are open now and for P&R to reach in if Comcast gets Sky. Expand now. Invest where the growth is and that is Asia and Latin America. I would like for a Park in Africa in about 20 years buy I have no idea where. Regardless Disney needs to grow everywhere.

I didn’t say they weren’t spending...I’m saying I’d rather see more reinvestment than chasing tails over seas in markets that don’t even necessarily want disney...as bob has

Indy_UK

I don't want them to keep building Disney parks in the east but I do agree with Iger if it's an area that has huge potential where Disney hasn't really had a history before, then why not go for those areas?

I would love another Disney in Europe (not U.K.) but they have so much to work with In Paris first it doesn't make sense to open another.

Owning SKY and Star TV networks are obviously areas where Disney wants to grow as a brand and maybe Parks and Resorts will be part of that alongside the TV distribution

MileZXO

I would love them to open a park in the UK but it wouldn't work well for them, it would pull a lot of people not only from Paris but from World as well, especially if it has unique rides.

seascape

I would love them to open a park in the UK but it wouldn't work well for them, it would pull a lot of people not only from Paris but from World as well, especially if it has unique rides.
Paris was a mistake. The park should have been built in Italy. Anyway there will not be another European resort in the near future. However I thank you for reminding me about neglecting how Sky can help Disneyland Paris. I guess Disney should keep fighting for Sky and get it all. Then use the money from the sale of the RSNs to expand and forget stock buybacks. Expand everywhere now and all Divisions.

Not going to happen. Wishful thinking

MileZXO

I'm only saying this because I am a Brit but I feel a UK one just wouldn't get the cast members needed of a certain quality.

Ha, yeah.. I couldn't imagine a cast member that is a part time Jeremy Kyle guest with no teeth and an addiction for white lightning

But a spin on that, I've noticed Tokyo has a lot of American cast members, I guess people are willing to travel and work at these places when it comes to Disney.

The original Paramount park I believe has now been titled 'The London Resort' and I think it will be rubbish now, just like our other parks we have. Thorpe Park is rubbish.

Paris was a mistake. The park should have been built in Italy. Anyway there will not be another European resort in the near future. However I thank you for reminding me about neglecting how Sky can help Disneyland Paris. I guess Disney should keep fighting for Sky and get it all. Then use the money from the sale of the RSNs to expand and forget stock buybacks. Expand everywhere now and all Divisions.

Not going to happen. Wishful thinking

I don't think it's a mistake per se, Walt loved France as a country and I think out of all the parks, he would love this latest version the most as it's not far from the original vision but that can be blamed for its lack of updates in recent years anyway.

That being said Disney Italy would be 10x better, or even if they had built it in London in the first place.

Indy_UK

Ha, yeah.. I couldn't imagine a cast member that is a part time Jeremy Kyle guest with no teeth and an addiction for white lightning

But a spin on that, I've noticed Tokyo has a lot of American cast members, I guess people are willing to travel and work at these places when it comes to Disney.

The original Paramount park I believe has now been titled 'The London Resort' and I think it will be rubbish now, just like our other parks we have. Thorpe Park is rubbish.

I work across the road from where the London Resort is apparently going (Bluewater) and they are currently flattening the land for it. The fact that Paramount backed out, they reckon they will get 40K guests a day when it's actually a pain to get to from London and have a budget of £3.3 billion, it's not even going to happen. They'll announce its axed before long.

I'm surprised that Comcast hasn't shown an interest in buying Merlin and owning the U.K. Parks. Thorpe Park is OK because they do add stuff but there's just something about UK theme parks I don't like.

Yeah, probably would staff them with Jeremy Kyle rejects lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom