News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Rodan75

Even the lowest RSN by itself is worth more than Comcast's Marvel theme park rights + Hulk and Namor movie rights. They could use the RSNs (or 39% of Sky as part of a bigger package to get those rights and Comcast's 30% of Hulu though).

The question is if they can get the ~19-26B the RSNs are estimated to be worth. Al Jazeera, FAANG, Comcast, ATT, Sony, Verizon, Charter, and others might be interested in purchasing the assets. YES and Fox Sports West being the 2 main ones here and they will get paid for those, maybe overpaid even, but I'm not sure how much they can get for the rest of them.

Charter And Verizon seem the most likely. Or they could just spin the RSNs off as a unit.

If CBS Viacom wasn’t otherwise distracted, I could see them chasing it.

TwilightZone

What I want to know is what sort of trashy IP will Chapek shoehorn into the parks if this merger proceeds?
I think that Anastasia is the most likely candidate, animation wise even if it's just meet n greets.
As for live action, the x-men and deadpool are also good candidates.
Wouldn't it be nuts if something from fox kids managed to get into the parks? Sure no wb stuff, but there's some good stuff.

seascape

For those who bought Fox to make a quick profit after the merger rumors started, it's time to sell. The current price just about fully represents to value of Fox. The new Fox is worth about $10.00 a share and the Disney offer about $38.00. However if you are like me and think Disney is undervalued and the stock will be $120 to $130 a share then you can still sell the Fox shares and use the money to buy Disney shares. There will be taxes due if this is not in a tax advantaged account. This deal is over and if Comcast really wants to win something look for their next offer to be for another studio or foreign media asset.

matt9112

The market appears to indicate Comcast will not make a bid. As soon as the news broke that Disney would receive government approval on the Fox merger Comcast stock jumped then today it's up another 3%. Disney is also up but not as much. Remember this Comcast was at $44.00 a share prior to their reportedly bidding on Fox. A smart resolution to this bidding war would be for Disney and Fox to agree to give up Sky in exchange for their share of Comcasts 31 billion offer for Sky plus the return of themeparks rights to the Marvel Name. Let Universal keep the rights to Spiderman and Hulk for Orlando only but nothing else and no longer be able to use the Marvel name. Otherwise Disney and Fox should go all out and win it all.

so you support weakening local competition? universals growth binge has been only good for parks fans. force disney to compete.

Stripes

Premium Member
For those who bought Fox to make a quick profit after the merger rumors started, it's time to sell. The current price just about fully represents to value of Fox. The new Fox is worth about $10.00 a share and the Disney offer about $38.00. However if you are like me and think Disney is undervalued and the stock will be $120 to $130 a share then you can still sell the Fox shares and use the money to buy Disney shares. There will be taxes due if this is not in a tax advantaged account. This deal is over and if Comcast really wants to win something look for their next offer to be for another studio or foreign media asset.
Yep. The moment I saw that they were looking for a partner I knew it was over. No other company in the tech or media sector wants these assets, and private equity firms want nothing to do with buying these assets at such a steep price with very little to fix. They'd never get their money back.

seascape

so you support weakening local competition? universals growth binge has been only good for parks fans. force disney to compete.
Actually resolving the Marvel conflicts between the 2 companies is good for both. I want healthy competition but that is good for both of them. Allowing Universal to keep Spiderman and Hulk not only in Orlando but worldwide is good for Universal. Also on international advertising it would stop confusion. Disney will be advertising Marvel themepark ridea around the world foir all their parks. Universal has the problem that they will only have a few Marvel rides in Orlando and nowhere else when at the same time they advertise HP, Simosons and others worldwide in all their parks. Plus if Universal buys Sony Pictures they can redo the entire deal and have the movie versions compared to the comic book version. Keep in mind that even if they bought Sony Pictures they cant use that version under the existing contract as the Sony Contract only gives Sony the rights to the movies, no merchandise, no themepark rights just the box office and Marvel gets a royalty cut.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep. The moment I saw that they were looking for a partner I knew it was over. No other company in the tech or media sector wants these assets, and private equity firms want nothing to do with buying these assets at such a steep price with very little to fix. They'd never get their money back.

If no one else wants Fox's assets, then why does Disney want them? Is this purely about "having enough content" for their eventual streaming service? Genuinely curious.

seascape

If no one else wants Fox's assets, then why does Disney want them? Is this purely about "having enough content" for their eventual streaming service? Genuinely curious.
It is not that no one else would want Fox but more like who can afford Fox and receive government approval. As for the idea of Facebook, Amazon, Google or Apple, I understand why they aren't interested. Google has YouTube. Amazon has too many other businesses and would only want the Studio and not the cable stations. Facebook has too many privacy issues going on right now. Apple would only be interested in Disney and only if it were a friendly merger.

Stripes

Premium Member
It is not that no one else would want Fox but more like who can afford Fox and receive government approval. As for the idea of Facebook, Amazon, Google or Apple, I understand why they aren't interested. Google has YouTube. Amazon has too many other businesses and would only want the Studio and not the cable stations. Facebook has too many privacy issues going on right now. Apple would only be interested in Disney and only if it were a friendly merger.
This. Apple's Eddy Cue has also stated that they aren't interested in a big takeover. Big acquisitions just aren't Apple's forte. (Apple's biggest acquisition ever was Beats for $3 billion.) I can see why Apple would admire Disney, but their strategy just isn't big acquisitions. Also Apple and Disney both care a lot about their culture, I'm not sure that would be a successful purchase from an integration perspective. Apple has previously stated that one of the reasons they've avoided big purchases is to preserve the company's culture.

As to why Disney wants Fox, Disney's assets are exceptionally complimentary to Fox's, which provides a lot of potential for synergies. Comcast's are too, but to a lesser extent. Bulking up and consolidation is the nature of the industry right now, for two reasons: 1. Preserving the bundle for as long as possible and 2. Content for the eventual streaming service.

Last edited:

MileZXO

There was a planned Paramount theme park in the UK that ended up not happening when Paramount backed out... apparently they are talks with other studios to take ownership...

Maybe Disney would build a FOX park there?

matt9112

What does wanting the marvel rights back have to do with competition?

back ? disney never owned them during that time so its hardly wanting them back its just wanting them.

well for one it avoids lazy overlays oh nvm ask cali... and two allows universal to still have some sort of any minor amount of leverage. in my personal opinion it would also mean that after SWGE the only thing built in the swamp would be marvel x y z and sorry but i dont think thats good long term for the resort. Than again im a parks fan and i wish they never made that purchase so im biased.

Kamikaze

I know...

PSA: Disney does NOT want to spend $3,000,000,000 so you can ride Marvel rides! You won’t stop going anyway...

Its actually more like 'Disney doesn't have a reason to spend $3b so you can ride Marvel rides'. They have enough other properties to build out right now.

Plus - with this going the way it is, whatever Comcast is asking for those rights now might very well be much less in 5-10 years due to the types of things previously discussed in this thread.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Its actually more like 'Disney doesn't have a reason to spend $3b so you can ride Marvel rides'. They have enough other properties to build out right now.

Plus - with this going the way it is, whatever Comcast is asking for those rights now might very well be much less in 5-10 years due to the types of things previously discussed in this thread.

Probably a bit of both, they don't have a reason to spend $3B because people are going to come anyway.

And if, down the road, somehow Disney was to acquire the Marvel theme park rights currently held by Comcast, wouldn't that be typical for Disney - Build something for a property 10 years after it becomes popular. ;)

Rodan75

Probably a bit of both, they don't have a reason to spend $3B because people are going to come anyway.

And if, down the road, somehow Disney was to acquire the Marvel theme park rights currently held by Comcast, wouldn't that be typical for Disney - Build something for a property 10 years after it becomes popular. ;)

And I think much of the discussion is that Disney wouldn't pay for these rights, but that Comcast may be willing to include these rights as a sweetener to make another more valuable financial transaction happen, namely the 39% of SKY.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom