News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Ismael Flores

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/12/...h-for-thursday-deal-announcement-sources.html

so according to these two guys the regional fox sports that Disney would get generate 2billion and they estimate Disney is paying about 20 some billion for it in this deal.

gives a good idea why adding these channels along with the bigger international exposure of SKY and controlling rights of HULU is something that appeals to Iger and Disney

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/12/...h-for-thursday-deal-announcement-sources.html

so according to these two guys the regional fox sports that Disney would get generate 2billion and they estimate Disney is paying about 20 some billion for it in this deal.

$60 billion for the package...the majority of the portfolio except the network, faux news, and FS1...

...and it links fox stockholders with disney and puts the murchochs right in the middle of the hierarchy.

This sounds a lot like Eisner with capital cities (iger would know)...just bigger stakes.

If this is really to gain control of Hulu and get programs for it...it seems like a lot of risk.

They can buy everything out there and disney isn't getting $40 a month for their streaming service...the world has changed.

RobbinsDad

Will Disney be able to develop attractions in Orlando based on acquired Marvel properties (X-Men, Deadpool and F4 specifically) or are they grandfathered into the infamous Universal agreement?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Will Disney be able to develop attractions in Orlando based on acquired Marvel properties (X-Men, Deadpool and F4 specifically) or are they grandfathered into the infamous Universal agreement?

Xmen is tied to universal...in the form of a spinner ride of all things...deadpool is useless to disney from the park angle...F4 is also tied to universal due to doctor doom

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the only thing that will be left of Fox will be news, tv and a sports channel?

That's what it appears...newscorp is huge...and though Rupert is practically in the ground at this point, stripping it down to nothing makes no sense to the kids...
...unless their goal is to join the disney board and proxy it with the option of one day trying to control it...

doctornick

The movie rights that Fox has has nothing to do with the theme park rights. TWDC purchasing part of Fox won't impact Uni's contract at all.

Of course... it's I suppose imaginable that Disney could use some of the purchased Fox assets to deal with Uni in order to try to modify the Marvel deal. i.e. they could sell/transfer some of the Fox IPs to Uni in exchange for modifying the Marvel contract. This is probably unlikely and I do not think we'd ever see full reversion from Uni, but perhaps there could be some relaxing of the restrictions which might allow Disney to use some properties that Uni doesn't actively use but are otherwise barred east of the Mississippi.

seascape

Just think what a fraction of that $60 billion could have done to Epcot...
It would not make the billions extra that owning almost all of Fox will. Anyway the deal including buying the rest of Sky is more like 74 billion and will add several billion to the Disney bottom line profit. This is a no brainer and sets up the next Disney park in India.

Ismael Flores

I'm reposting this since people are talking about previous Marvel contracts that affect Disney to a certain degree in what they can and cant do with some characters.

If this blog from the Rant is true, i wonder what that means for the licensing agreement that FOX had with the supposed owners of the fantastic 4 characters? I wonder if that licensing deal would transfer to Disney allowing them to use those characters in the MCU?

I also wonder what the deal between Stan lee and the owner of Fantastic 4 say in regards to any theme park rights not controlled by universal.

Interesting article about the Fantastic 4.

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-fantastic-4-rights-constantin/

according to this Disney would not get to own the Fantastic 4 with this deal because Fox never owned them to begin with. Supposedly Fox only licensed the character and never really owned them to begin with.

So what does this mean, does the license deal transfer over to Disney? will Disney have to try and make a deal with whomever really does own the Fantastic 4?

Is Screen rant accurate about this?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It would not make the billions extra that owning almost all of Fox will. Anyway the deal including buying the rest of Sky is more like 74 billion and will add several billion to the Disney bottom line profit. This is a no brainer and sets up the next Disney park in India.
psssshhhh whats a couple billion here and there?

Gosh, do we really ever just stop and consider the ridiculous amount of seemingly disposable money Iger gets to play with?

seascape

psssshhhh whats a couple billion here and there?

Gosh, do we really ever just stop and consider the ridiculous amount of seemingly disposable money Iger gets to play with?

He has all this money to play around with because of all the stock buybacks he and others did over the years. You can go back several years ago and see I suggested they could and would use it for mergers. It is also why I want them to continue to buy back stock in the future. You never know when something which would be a great addition may be available and having the ability to just get the Board to approve it makes the purchase easier and cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom