News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

pdude81

happycamperuni

I wonder if Comcast would go even higher on a Disney counterbid. I think Roberts would push for it.

It's hard to know, but what's an extra $5bn or $10bn if you're already willing to take on $100 billion in debt...

I think Comcast (and Disney) view Fox's assets as the last/best chance to compete globally with Netflix/Amazon Prime/Google-Youtube/Facebook in the competition for eyeballs globally.

If the AT&T-TW merger goes through cleanly with minimal restrictions, it's not unrealistic to see the bidding end up closer to $70 billion for the Fox assets and $35-40 billion for Sky.

Sky, control of Hulu, Star India, the RSNs are all way too important for either to let go of easily.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's hard to know, but what's an extra $5bn or $10bn if you're already willing to take on $100 billion in debt...

I think Comcast (and Disney) view Fox's assets as the last/best chance to compete globally with Netflix/Amazon Prime/Google-Youtube/Facebook in the competition for eyeballs globally.

If the AT&T-TW merger goes through cleanly with minimal restrictions, it's not unrealistic to see the bidding end up closer to $70 billion for the Fox assets and $35-40 billion for Sky.

Sky, control of Hulu, Star India, the RSNs are all way too important for either to let go of easily.

Excellent take.

Iger isn’t used to losing - except at abc where failure is common - and I wonder how hard he’ll go on this.

Disney has only really “lost” once in the last 20 years: the Harry Potter park license. In retrospect: that was the perfect disney licensed ip for parks and it would have essentially eliminated that threat right then and there.

Quinnmac000

Excellent take.

Iger isn’t used to losing - except at abc where failure is common - and I wonder how hard he’ll go on this.

Disney has only really “lost” once in the last 20 years: the Harry Potter park license. In retrospect: that was the perfect disney licensed ip for parks and it would have essentially eliminated that threat right then and there.

The issue is at what cost....will Disney be willing to do cash and stock and trade worth 120 billion just to beat out Comcast for the current Fox assets and not get full power over Sky?

Last edited:

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Excellent take.

You don't consider paying 500MM+ (could have been up to 1B IIRC) for Maker Studios a loss? I think that was, by far, Iger's worst acquisition.

Not even close is my guess...I’m guessing $80 is the cap - give or take

That's a fair estimate, though I don't know if they would go that high. If they do though, and Roberts wants to come out on top he would would probably have to go to 90B+ for Fox assets + debt on top of the 31B for Sky.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don't consider paying 500MM+ (could have been up to 1B IIRC) for Maker Studios a loss? I think that was, by far, Iger's worst acquisition.

That's a fair estimate, though I don't know if they would go that high. If they do though, and Roberts wants to come out on top he would would probably have to go to 90B+ for Fox assets + debt on top of the 31B for Sky.

Anything with less than 9 zeros is kinda chump change for Disney, no?

MerlinTheGoat

The Murdock family is still claiming they want Disney to be the winner, at least that's what they're saying publicly. Whether Fox decides to go with Disney or Comcast, I would think that the Murdock family would have significant sway in getting what they want to happen approved by the government.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Murdock family is still claiming they want Disney to be the winner, at least that's what they're saying publicly. Whether Fox decides to go with Disney or Comcast, I would think that the Murdock family would have significant sway in getting what they want to happen approved by the government.

Lol...the Murdoch’s are the master manipulators of Hollywood.

Could they...just maybe...be playing a game here?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not quite. He just thinks it'll be easier to get regulatory approval. I disagree, but there's plenty of debate about this topic. Most analysts disagree with the sentiment that it'll be easier for Comcast, particularly in the current administration.
That's not even what it says. The article doesn't say anything about Comcast's regulatory risk in relation to Disney, it just says that Comcast is probably fine in that regard. It doesn't say that Disney WOULDN'T be fine.

The author of the article claims that's what the analyst is saying but then provides a quote that says nothing of the sort.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Fox shareholders vote on July 10th.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-sets-disney-deal-vote-123452542.html?.tsrc=applewf

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-fox-set-july-10-shareholder-votes-524b-deal-1115667

Fox may postpone or adjourn the meeting, depending on what happens (i.e. if Comcast does make an offer and what the offer actually would be).

Disney also set July 10th as its shareholder voting date on the deal.

Also:

Outbidding Disney would "tarnish" a "pristine balance sheet," say analysts, one reason behind the cable giant's recent stock plunge.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/comcasts-weakness-hunt-fox-assets-big-debt-1115528

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Considering the friendship between Rupert Murdoch and Trump, that is a certainty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom