News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Tom P.

if that's the case, at least one of the two is outright lying to the world about who they are, because, from what we know politically, they're quite different.
You're saying that two people with different political views cannot be friends?

Kamikaze

You're saying that two people with different political views cannot be friends?

Thats what he's saying.

To be fair, if you look around at the state of political discourse in the US right now, its pretty easy to see why people would think that way.

Kamikaze

quite obvious that would be entirely dependent on the ideologies themselves, is it not?

No, it is not. Politics do not dictate every second of most people's lives. And with businessmen the politics is less important than business.

You can even look at Mary Matalin and James Carville. They have been married for 25 years despite working deep inside separate parties.

MerlinTheGoat

It's entirely possible for people with opposing political beliefs to be friends. I have conservative friends (as well as family I get alone with) despite having quite liberal views. However, regarding the friendship between Iger and Murdock...

if that's the case, at least one of the two is outright lying to the world about who they are, because, from what we know politically, they're quite different.
^I would speculate that this take is the more likely explanation in this particular instance. Rupert Murdock and his Fox media empire showcase pretty accurate representations of modern conservatism. Whereas the way Bob Iger runs his company is often laughably at odds with mainstream liberal policies regarding big business, regulation and employee treatment (minimum wage and such). Regardless of the facade he dons for the media and public.

Kamikaze

^This is the more likely explanation in this particular instance in my opinion. Rupert Murdock and his Fox media empire showcase pretty accurate representations of modern conservatism. Whereas the way Bob Iger runs his company is often laughably at odds with mainstream liberal policies regarding big business, regulation and employee treatment (minimum wage and such). Regardless of the facade he dons for the media and public.

Murdoch is also Australian. He only runs Fox News the way it does to make money. It isn't because he personally is invested in conservatism and/or the republican party.

the.dreamfinder

It's entirely possible for people with opposing political beliefs to be friends. I have conservative friends (as well as family I get alone with) despite having quite liberal views. However, regarding the friendship between Iger and Murdock...

^I would speculate that this take is the more likely explanation in this particular instance. Rupert Murdock and his Fox media empire showcase pretty accurate representations of modern conservatism. Whereas the way Bob Iger runs his company is often laughably at odds with mainstream liberal policies regarding big business, regulation and employee treatment (minimum wage and such). Regardless of the facade he dons for the media and public.
Bob Iger’s political views would probably be to the right of Walt’s.

MerlinTheGoat

Murdoch is also Australian. He only runs Fox News the way it does to make money. It isn't because he personally is invested in conservatism and/or the republican party.
He has also held American citizenship since 1985. But regardless, what does being Australian even have to do with political beliefs?

Rupert Murdoch runs Fox news with a conservative slant, and he himself has conservative beliefs. That is fairly consistent at least. If he has different political leanings behind closed doors, then he has hidden them quite well. Bob Iger runs Disney and publicly claims to be a liberal, but he is often blatantly in opposition to a lot of core liberal ideals with how he runs the Disney company.

Bob Iger’s political views would probably be to the right of Walt’s.
I agree. And for his time, Walt Disney I believe was a traditional style Republican. Though I will of course mention that conservatism in the 1960s and prior had a substantially different meaning than modern neo-conservatism.

Kamikaze

He has also held American citizenship since 1985. But regardless, what does being Australian even have to do with political beliefs?

Rupert Murdoch runs Fox news with a conservative slant, and he himself has conservative beliefs. That is fairly consistent at least. If he has different political leanings behind closed doors, then he has hidden them quite well. Bob Iger runs Disney and publicly claims to be a liberal, but he is often blatantly in opposition to a lot of core liberal ideals with how he runs the Disney company.

You should probably actually look into him.

Just because Fox News is run a certain way to make money doesn't mean those are his personal beliefs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom