News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

JoeCamel

Hopefully with Disney having the rights to The Simpson’s (hopefully for theme parks too) that they can offer Universal those rights plus some cash for the Marvel rights. All the rides island of adventures are pretty much ‘off the rail’ ones so could be easily rethemed
Universal has always stated that they have no interest in modifying the contract. Takes two to play and you only have one. Uni is perfectly happy with the way things are. Simpsons is not enough leverage here to give up Marvel. Uni can lose Simpsons (probably will just keep paying as agreed) and still be ahead by keeping Marvel in Orlando.

Gringrinngghost

Hopefully with Disney having the rights to The Simpson’s (hopefully for theme parks too) that they can offer Universal those rights plus some cash for the Marvel rights. All the rides island of adventures are pretty much ‘off the rail’ ones so could be easily rethemed
Disney will hold on to The Simpsons, that's a certainty.

Indy_UK

I wonder then if there’s anything then that Disney could do. Can they not move Seth McFarlane and everything from him to Universal in exchange. Him and his programs are probably the least compatible IP for Disney to be taking on as part of this Fox deal, so maybe Disney aren’t that ok fussed to keep him

imperius

I wonder then if there’s anything then that Disney could do. Can they not move Seth McFarlane and everything from him to Universal in exchange. Him and his programs are probably the least compatible IP for Disney to be taking on as part of this Fox deal, so maybe Disney aren’t that ok fussed to keep him

Marvel is far away a top three IP right now. It would take a lot to make Universal give it up.

JoeCamel

Good use of the money they spent 2 years ago in California building a bigger and better Simpson's land than they have in Orlando.
In hindsight that was a really bad idea. ;)
How long do you two think the contract for use of the IP is???
Nothing changes - (for the umpteenth time...) Universal will continue to use the IP til the end of the contract which is many years in the future so yes, it is a very good use of the money.

bhg469

How long do you two think the contract for use of the IP is???
Nothing changes - (for the umpteenth time...) Universal will continue to use the IP til the end of the contract which is many years in the future so yes, it is a very good use of the money.
in perpetuity, so years are irrelevant. They keep it until they stop caring to keep it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Nothing’s stopping both parties from creating a supplementary agreement surrounding movie tie ins.
Exactly. Think strategically -- a rising tide lifts all boats, and by putting strong Marvel properties at both Universal and Disney, even MORE tourists are drawn to Orlando. Those tourists are likely to spend money in BOTH venues to experience the fullness of the Marvel universe.

ItlngrlBella

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79072

https://www.newsarama.com/37714-fox-disney-deal-moves-to-legal-stages-report.html

Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Die Hard, Transporter, Home Alone, Wimpy Kid, Percy Jackson, Maze Runner franchises now under the Disney umbrella. Blue Sky Studios also becomes a part of Disney, which includes the highly successful Ice Age film series.

Does this mean Deadpool M&G’s at WDW?!?
(What? A girl can dream?!). 😍😜

Actually, I realize it’s an impossible dream.

Deadpool’s schtick is waaay too inappropriate and cheeky for families at WDW.🤭

*sigh*🙄

Rodan75

My Prediction - Comcast will offer the park rights, Namor and Hulk back to Disney for their share of the 39% of Sky that they will inherit from Fox. (Also cash, but Marvel is the Oswald).

the.dreamfinder

My Prediction - Comcast will offer the park rights, Namor and Hulk back to Disney for their share of the 39% of Sky that they will inherit from Fox. (Also cash, but Marvel is the Oswald).
Not bad, certainly a nice bookend for Iger’s legacy of dealmaking, but park rights are worth a lot more than Oswald.

That’s also assuming either Disney/Fox and CMSA/Sky are approved by regulators, which are both still very iffy.

Indy_UK

I don’t think the rights to Hulk and Marvel theme park rights in Orlando are worth in $$$ the stupid amount that Comcast are are offering for SKY

seascape

Universal is offering 31 billion for Sky. Disney's 39% of that would be 12.09 billion dollars. Do you really believe anyone is stupid enough to give up that kind of money for just the themepark rights to Namor and Hulk? It doesn't really matter though since Disney is going to wind up owning Sky and Universal can forget about buying it. Neither of them should be allowed to buy either Sky or Fox but Disney only needs to buy just over 18% of the non fox shares while universal needs to buy just under 82% of the shares. Therefore its much Easier for Disney to win.

Rodan75

Universal is offering 31 billion for Sky. Disney's 39% of that would be 12.09 billion dollars. Do you really believe anyone is stupid enough to give up that kind of money for just the themepark rights to Namor and Hulk? It doesn't really matter though since Disney is going to wind up owning Sky and Universal can forget about buying it. Neither of them should be allowed to buy either Sky or Fox but Disney only needs to buy just over 18% of the non fox shares while universal needs to buy just under 82% of the shares. Therefore its much Easier for Disney to win.

Obviously they will have to pay cash for the outstanding 39% of SKY (which I said in my initial comment), I'm just saying that Comcast has the ability to use the Marvel rights (as well as 30% of Hulu) as additional leverage in a deal.

Honestly, this is likely the only opening Disney will have to get the Marvel rights back from Universal (not just park but also Hulk/Namor). As has been stated before many times; there is no reason for Comcast to negotiate Marvel rights with Disney and no reason for Disney to overpay for those rights. SKY and HULU being much larger deal points could instigate discussion.

seascape

Obviously they will have to pay cash for the outstanding 39% of SKY (which I said in my initial comment), I'm just saying that Comcast has the ability to use the Marvel rights (as well as 30% of Hulu) as additional leverage in a deal.

Honestly, this is likely the only opening Disney will have to get the Marvel rights back from Universal (not just park but also Hulk/Namor). As has been stated before many times; there is no reason for Comcast to negotiate Marvel rights with Disney and no reason for Disney to overpay for those rights. SKY and HULU being much larger deal points could instigate discussion.
There is no reason for Disney to pay Universal anything for the rights to Universals Marvel Characters. Disney has enough Marvel Characters they can use in Orlando and have all of the in Europe, Japan (soon) and China along with California. They don't need them in Orlando. In the meantime Universal has to send Disney a check every quarter. Also as Universal grows around the world their tiny rights to Marvel will mean less and less. It is only on themepark boards that any Comcast owner cares one bit about their Marvel attractions. Spiderman may be one of the best rides in the world but it does not matter since it can't be built anywhere else.

Ripken10

Owning the vastly popular marvel rights of all the main marvel characters in the busiest tourist area in America? Not really tiny.
Theme park rights is a completely different ball game compared to merchandise or movie rights. Disney (and Comcast for that matter) don't want the Marvel theme park rights as much as many on here think they do. Not saying it's not valuable, but not nearly at the level so many people here think it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom