News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

jakeman

I know. What’s the next big thing Iger has his eyes on?
upload_2017-12-18_23-24-48.png

Yeah I said I was out, but that was too good of a set up.

SteamboatJoe

I am not naive enough to think a Murdoch run Disney isn't possible but I haven't heard or seen anything indicating that was the plan. The news I have seen portrayed it as Rupert is getting older and wanted to a) cash in on what he has built and b) put the remaining non-Disney portions of Fox in a position to concentrate on their core business going forward. It seems like this move allows them to do that and make some additional cash on the side from owning some stock in Disney without having to really do any additional work. I haven't read up on all the details of this deal though so I freely admit that my take could be incorrect.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I am not naive enough to think a Murdoch run Disney isn't possible but I haven't heard or seen anything indicating that was the plan. The news I have seen portrayed it as Rupert is getting older and wanted to a) cash in on what he has built and b) put the remaining non-Disney portions of Fox in a position to concentrate on their core business going forward. It seems like this move allows them to do that and make some additional cash on the side from owning some stock in Disney without having to really do any additional work. I haven't read up on all the details of this deal though so I freely admit that my take could be incorrect.

No, I think you're correct. I've read the same. Rupert wants to concentrate on his core and perhaps find something for his sons. Those saying the Murdochs will control Disney need to remember what their holdings in Disney stock will be after the purchase. I got the impression from Iger's interview on CNBC that a Murdoch's role at Disney beyond the integration will be limited.

seascape

I think both deals should be blocked. This is bad for the public in the US and Europe. If Comcast got Sky it would be the biggest pay TV provider in the world and would have too much power of distribution and with the ownership of all that programming could and based on Comcast US cable would use that power and over charge customers for the channels they own and lower what they would pay others for their channels. If Comcast is allowed to buy Sky they should have to spin off NBC Universal.

As for Disney. Based on the Movie Box Office totals now at 45%, it should not be allowed. That is just too much control. As I previously stated, I own Disney stock and as a stockholder like the Disney Fox merger but as a consumer don't.

The only good thing about these mergers is the EU takes a much more aggressive approach to mergers and market power. These proposed mergers are not good for consumers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom