News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
o_O
Lockedoutlogic?? Yikes.
Well by definition you can compare just about anything, doesn't make it a solid comparison.

DC had a great chance at one time, but it has failed 3 times on superman, twice on Batman(I actually liked one iteration) but I personally felt it hit gold with Wonder Woman. Still, it has a history of failure..... Then again, Fox can say the same on Spiderman and Xmen.

to date, MCU -Disney has been hitting on all cylinders. Not just the "A" listers as you list like Cap and Ironman and Thor - but with much less known entities such a GotG and Ant-man and THIER redo of Spiderman.

Will it eventually flame out? I would say no, not as they introduce more and more new characters that they can turn together - Black Panther, Capt. Marvel, Vision, Scarlett Witch and so on.

PLUS with the soon availability(assuming it goes through....granted) of FF vs. Avengers or Xmen vs. Avengers and so on....a whole new world could open.

I'm from East Budleigh, actually...and remained loyal to my queen and country and her pet mouse...

And I actually liked justice league...by the way. It was fun and sometimes that's ok.

They got superman right for once and I'd follow Gal across the Antarctic ice shelf just to see her change a roll of toilet paper in an outhouse...just sayin'

the.dreamfinder

Yo, people, Iger said it in his interview on CNBC this AM. Disney is launching its streaming service next year. It needs content, other than its own, to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime. It now owns (or will, if DOJ approves) 60% of Hulu. The former CEO of DirectTV said, repeatedly, that Hulu has an incredible platform. So it gets both an industry standard streaming platform and an enormous amount of content for their streaming service. Plus a global presence. This isn't about what IPs will end up in the parks....
That streaming service is meant to replace the cable based Disney Channels with the additon of PayTV rights to recent Disney/Marvel/Pixar/Lucasfilm features.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It puts tremendous pressure on their streaming service in its infancy and highlights the espn problem even more...

You think bob thought of that? I'm 50/50

I'm sure he did. To counter the problems with EPSN and cord cutting, I would expect an ESPN streaming service to launch, similar to what HBO did with HBO Now.

It will be interesting to see how bandwith problems and the discussions on net neutrality will affect the future of streaming, especially with Disney now becoming a major player. I expect once Disney's streaming is up and running after a few years for it to acquire the rest of Hulu. Bob kinda hinted at that in his interview. Hulu subscribers, expect to see an increase in your subscription rates. I just received notice from Netflix they've increased theirs.

Comcast is the one to be really worried. It's gonna be interesting watching the Comcast vs Disney battle for eyeballs. Get out the popcorn.

Gatorboy

The contract is "in perpetuity" Universal has stated in the past they have no interest in changing the terms. It is not up to Disney
I’m quite aware of the contract! That doesn’t stop Disney from offering an exchange. If Universal can get something they feel is equal or better, it would make since. They are a business, they aren’t keeping the park rights out of spite.

Progress.City

Haven't the same people who have predicted the demise of TWDC under Iger learned their lesson after all these years?

Apparently not.
These are the same people that said no monorail expansion (or ANY fixed link or elevated modes of transportation) were ever going to happen. And we are getting Disney Skyliner. While it’s not monorail, it’s a worthy alternative. If it proves popular, I don’t see why monorail expansion or automated people mover systems can’t come in and expand on it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That streaming service is meant to replace the cable based Disney Channels with the additon of PayTV rights to recent Disney/Marvel/Pixar/Lucasfilm features.

Disney is positioning itself to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime. It will be interesting to see if Disney IPs will also disappear from Amazon as they will from Netflix next year.

Also curious how this will impact Sling, YouTube TV, Sony Vue, etc.

doctornick

Well...and it may continue...but forever? Will Thor and ironman always be there? We see franchises tire or flame out all the time...

Sure, the quality and success of Marvel Studio's productions may dip someday. But there is literally no evidence of that happening yet. The MCU is stronger than ever. And while some characters may come and go, that's the brilliance of the shared universe model where new franchises can be introduced and have support due to the connection to previous films then be allowed to grow and prosper on their own. And Spider-Man back in the fold and now the Fantastic Four and X-Men available, there is a ton of content from Marvel that has not been done by the MCU.

But most importantly: quality always wins out. And that's what the MCU has in spades. The IP can help t get people in the door but it's the quality that keeps them coming over and over. We've seen it already happen with DC where Justice League has crashed because of how poorly the DCEU was developed.

Marvel Studios (and Star Wars/Lucasfilm) is in excellent hands at this point in time. That might change at some nebulous point in the future, but there's plenty of reason to be excited about their movies going forward.

MKeeler

Running random thoughts on the acquisition...
1) I'm now even more upset that the Great Movie Ride is being replaced by Mickey's Runaway Railway (instead of Runaway Railway being a new build). Could you imagine an update of the Great Movie Ride with all of just Disney owned properties now? Leave in Alien, Raiders and Fantasia. Add in Sound of Music (or any of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films), The French Connection, Young Frankenstein, Planet of the Apes, Cleopatra, The Robe, The Seven Year Itch, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mary Poppins, and M*A*S*H. Not to mention Shirley Temple films, Fred Astaire with Daddy Long Legs, The Three Stooges, and so much more in this incredible film library.

2) They better not screw up the upcoming streaming service by only focusing on the new material in the catalog.

3) It somehow slipped my attention that Disney now owns Firefly. I'm determined now that Star Tours should be replaced by a Firefly smuggling run attraction.

4) It's a shame Hollywood Studios no longer has a New York Street section, which would be perfect for a Miracle on 34th Street Christmas overlay/celebration.

5) The Southern California Adventures by Disney trip better now include a Studio Tour of the Classic 20th Century Fox lot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That’ll be a hell of a fight between the Cable/Satelite providers, ESPN and the leagues/conferences.

ESPN already pays leagues/conferences the rights to broadcast their games, just like Fox, CBS, NBC and CBS do. It's now a matter of getting the delivery guy (cable/satellite) out of the mix. And see what conferences/leagues would be willing to negotiate. Would be interesting to watch.

Don't you think down the road Disney would love to be both a delivery system and content provider, like Comcast? Diversification can also mean consolidation.

Walt d

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79072

https://www.newsarama.com/37714-fox-disney-deal-moves-to-legal-stages-report.html

Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Die Hard, Transporter, Home Alone, Wimpy Kid, Percy Jackson, Maze Runner franchises now under the Disney umbrella. Blue Sky Studios also becomes a part of Disney, which includes the highly successful Ice Age film series.
And 13.7 billon in dept. there goes the ticket price everone thanks bob i. And still no split or anything for share holdes,from you ever”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom