News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

matt9112

The main audience for Disney has always been families. All the way back to the 1930s. The majority of the Disney fandom adores Disney because of one reason: their pure image. Granted, most of the fandom praises anything the company does, but I think having something a Deadpool M&G would cross a line for a lot of people, including myself.

I disagree I think the parks and the classic Disney property's are irrelevant for future growth. it's all about that merch. sure they won't abandon the kid friendly stuff but that's there strong suit they can't really squeeze much more out of that. for you and me that's ok but this board wants more growth so Disney needs to grow that portfolio.
however joking aside yeah you won't see DP in magic kingdom but maybe epcot or Hollywood studios absolutely. (assuming there's not contractual restrictions liker marvel)

alphac2005

How will Comcast respond? There’s a rumor that they are talking to Time-Warner Entertainment Group (the studio group).

Also, I noticed that they have been more aggressive lately in acquiring more Orlando properties. They bought a huge parcel from Lockheed-Martin a couple of weeks ago and today I saw they are moving in on the rest of the Stan Thomas properties that they currently do not own.

This is why I love American capitalism!!
It's something that Comcast is acquiring back the land that it owned before being fire sold by previous owner Vivendi. Stan Thomas is about as close to a con to local municipalities that he toyed with in both Atlanta and Orlando with dragged on, dead end projects while receiving special tax abatements.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's something that Comcast is acquiring back the land that it owned before being fire sold by previous owner Vivendi. Stan Thomas is about as close to a con to local municipalities that he toyed with in both Atlanta and Orlando with dragged on, dead end projects while receiving special tax abatements.

I think this can accelerate their plans. This deal give disney control of hulu and that is poised to cut into the cable business...they will have to respond in parks (and Disney should counter...let's see if they will)...

I think a lot of options are on the table now...maybe Comcast makes the bold step of doing an adult them park? That long lusted for Tolkien property development?

It wouldn't work any very easily EXCEPT Orlando with a 365 day tourist calendar...

the.dreamfinder

I never said it wasn't possible. I'm just saying the odds of a company like Disney kicking the bucket in a decade is so unrealistic its not worth entertaining
Things are changing very, very fast. Did you know Blockbuster seriously considered buying Netflix? The assumption that their legacy business, a large brick and mortar retail footprint, was more important than their long term connection with consumers, even if the new model was radically different from that legacy, killed them. Then Netflix killed its mail order business to become a streaming service and then used that foundation to create its own films/tv shows.

As I said earlier, Disney needs to find a way out from under its non Disney Channel cable assets. Not acquire more of them and compound the ESPN problem.

Bob Iger could have acquired Netflix years ago and IPO’d ESPN, but that wouldn’t have made sense to the quarter to quarter folks on Wall St. Bob has failed the company just like Kodak executives did when their scientists and engineers created digital photography and photo editing, only to sit on it and let others take the lead. Like them, Bob has no vision and the consequences of his actions will hurt the company, WDW included.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh you are talking parks?

Oh yeah I agree they won't ever deviate from "happy" there...
...i was saying adult focused material has to be there to keep the larger ship afloat.

That's why Touchstone was created in 1984. Disney was in serious trouble, studio-wise. The only thing keeping it afloat were the parks. So Ron Miller (Diane Disney Miller's husband) created Touchstone. And then got pushed out by Roy, Jr., being replaced by Eisner, Wells, and Katzenberg.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really I am pretty sure Spiderman Homecoming took another cast turn, and did remarkably well. You can't really compare to the DC model as they have been not as successful IMO.

Sure I can...

Because comic books themselves tend to be niche followings...

Perhaps batman might not be the best analogy...but what about spiderman?

Biggest superhero movie ever...declined...reset...reset again and now trying to rebuild...in the span of 15 years.

Disney does it BETTER? it all depends on who's in charge and these days...how long it is before the dirt comes out on him.

Hi, "old friend", by the way :)

the.dreamfinder

You people are more off the walls than I thought. Wow
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg
Oh really?
http://www.businessinsider.com/blockbuster-ceo-passed-up-chance-to-buy-netflix-for-50-million-2015-7

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's why Touchstone was created in 1984. Disney was in serious trouble, studio-wise. The only thing keeping it afloat were the parks. So Ron Miller (Diane Disney Miller's husband) created Touchstone. And then got pushed out by Roy, Jr., being replaced by Eisner, Wells, and Katzenberg.

I...of course...know all this...but your assistance is appreciated :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Haven't the same people who have predicted the demise of TWDC under Iger learned their lesson after all these years?

Apparently not.

As those that forgot the lessons of Michael Eisner seem to be around...
Ontop of the universe in 1997...13 years after taking over...

. . .

Phicinfan

Sure I can...

Because comic books themselves tend to be niche followings...

Perhaps batman might not be the best analogy...but what about spiderman?

Biggest superhero movie ever...declined...reset...reset again and now trying to rebuild...in the span of 15 years.

Disney does it BETTER? it all depends on who's in charge and these days...how long it is before the dirt comes out on him.

Hi, "old friend", by the way :)
o_O
Lockedoutlogic?? Yikes.
Well by definition you can compare just about anything, doesn't make it a solid comparison.

DC had a great chance at one time, but it has failed 3 times on superman, twice on Batman(I actually liked one iteration) but I personally felt it hit gold with Wonder Woman. Still, it has a history of failure..... Then again, Fox can say the same on Spiderman and Xmen.

to date, MCU -Disney has been hitting on all cylinders. Not just the "A" listers as you list like Cap and Ironman and Thor - but with much less known entities such a GotG and Ant-man and THIER redo of Spiderman.

Will it eventually flame out? I would say no, not as they introduce more and more new characters that they can turn together - Black Panther, Capt. Marvel, Vision, Scarlett Witch and so on.

PLUS with the soon availability(assuming it goes through....granted) of FF vs. Avengers or Xmen vs. Avengers and so on....a whole new world could open.

Phicinfan

I will add this. A huge add like this at this price will only put Walt Disney under the microscope more by Wall street and others. They will have to integrate very, very quickly and see some kind of huge hit as soon as possible to help ease tensions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Things are changing very, very fast. Did you know Blockbuster seriously considered buying Netflix? The assumption that their legacy business, a large brick and mortar retail footprint, was more important than their long term connection with consumers, even if the new model was radically different from that legacy, killed them. Then Netflix killed its mail order business to become a streaming service and then used that foundation to create its own films/tv shows.

As I said earlier, Disney needs to find a way out from under its non Disney Channel cable assets. Not acquire more of them and compound the ESPN problem.

Bob Iger could have acquired Netflix years ago and IPO’d ESPN, but that wouldn’t have made sense to the quarter to quarter folks on Wall St. Bob has failed the company just like Kodak executives did when their scientists and engineers created digital photography and photo editing, only to sit on it and let others take the lead. Like them, Bob has no vision and the consequences of his actions will hurt the company, WDW included.

Being first to cheapest is not really a great strategy. You forget to mention that Netflix is running in the red and racing... to be... what Disney already is. A content producer who then can decide how to distribute their own stuff verse paying others to have something to show.

Building a streaming service is not something Disney needs to sweat long term. They could buy a running one outright and rebrand in 6months if they wanted to. They don't need to invent that industry... they can let others burn out figuring it out and then simply move in and dominate. But you don't need to drop your pants and run to lead in that space when it cannibalizes you and the market isn't profitable enough. Unlike Kodak... the Disney product is going to be relevant regardless of the distribution method.

The fact a bundled cable provider may go away in 10years is not something to worry about if it's already paid for... what Disney leadership has to manage is the revenue expectations of what that transition means... not that it would bankrupt the place.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That has nothing do with Disney. I literally DO NOT care what happened to some overrated video rental store from the 1990s. Give it a rest. The Walt Disney Company is here to stay, as much as you'd like to believe otherwise.

You just patronized and dismissed the overall point that all business trends change and everyone is vulnerable. And that is indisputable. A business isn't entirely in control of themselves no matter who they are. 20 years ago Microsoft ruled with iron first and Apple was junk on the endcap at sears...

Bit of advice:

There are two things really annoying on disney chats:

1. Too much focus on the negative/doomsday (like me...I got my doctor to put me on a new medication though...so that should help)
2. Patronizing/dismissive of valid things concerning business possibilities.

When you LOL...and use chicken little references without any formualtivd argument...it does nothing...

...and I promise not to be so negative.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yo, people, Iger said it in his interview on CNBC this AM. Disney is launching its streaming service next year. It needs content, other than its own, to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime. It now owns (or will, if DOJ approves) 60% of Hulu. The former CEO of DirectTV said, repeatedly, that Hulu has an incredible platform. So it gets both an industry standard streaming platform and an enormous amount of content for their streaming service. Plus a global presence. This isn't about what IPs will end up in the parks....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will add this. A huge add like this at this price will only put Walt Disney under the microscope more by Wall street and others. They will have to integrate very, very quickly and see some kind of huge hit as soon as possible to help ease tensions.

It puts tremendous pressure on their streaming service in its infancy and highlights the espn problem even more...

You think bob thought of that? I'm 50/50

the.dreamfinder

That has nothing do with Disney. I literally DO NOT care what happened to some overrated video rental store from the 1990s. Give it a rest. The Walt Disney Company is here to stay, as much as you'd like to believe otherwise.
The point is that industries can change very fast and existing companies have the opportunity to march into the future, but that means change and that’s hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom