News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

jakeman

It seems to be that most of what ESPN carries is also available on ESPN3 online, so I'm not sure your statement is correct. And Disney has already announced they are doing a sports specific streaming service so I'm pretty sure they have a plan in this regards. Maybe it won't be successful, but it's not correct to pretend they aren't addressing the future of ESPN.

Edit: this article seems to indicate that they are able to stream most everything but the NFL and NBA.
This is correct from my experience. ESPN3 carries not only the live broadcast, but also a bevy of other sports. Here is a partial listing for tonight, a Thursday, in the middle of December:

upload_2017-12-14_14-10-17.png

Link to the rest of the programming just remaining today if you have access to ESPN3:

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?type=upcoming

I feel like I either don't understand the point that is trying to be made about distribution or it's just not inline with how things appear to work at the consumer level.

jakeman

Everything the Murdochs touch turns to gold for the Murdochs, The customers and employees not so much. I love how people think this is going to be a trove of new fun stuff for park fans,

Well kids the ONLY thing the Murdochs care about is how to monetize their properties. Chappie and Iger are amateurs at this compared to the Murdochs.
Well now that Disney doesn't exist to you anymore, I guess you can probably take your ball and go home now, right?

Princess Leia

Okay, outside of Avatar, which is already being used at Animal Kingdom, are there any IPs that can actually be used at WDW? I guess X-Men and Fantastic Four could be incorporated over at Disneyland (especially if Disney/Marvel produces a Fantastic Four film for the MCU Phase 4- which I have to assume is in talks), but I can’t see anything else really being incorporated into the parks (unless Stitch is replaced by an attraction based on ‘The Martian’ and a ‘Kingsman’ shooting ride goes into the UK).

the.dreamfinder

It seems to be that most of what ESPN carries is also available on ESPN3 online, so I'm not sure your statement is correct. And Disney has already announced they are doing a sports specific streaming service so I'm pretty sure they have a plan in this regards. Maybe it won't be successful, but it's not correct to pretend they aren't addressing the future of ESPN.
To clarify, ESPN3 is streaming for cable/sat subscribers, the rights mostly transfer over from there. ESPN+ is what they’re going to call the streaming only service, its rights are separate from cable/sat ESPN, though there will be overlap. ESPN+ is not cable/sat ESPN.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Okay, outside of Avatar, which is already being used at Animal Kingdom, are there any IPs that can actually be used at WDW? I guess X-Men and Fantastic Four could be incorporated over at Disneyland (especially if Disney/Marvel produces a Fantastic Four film for the MCU Phase 4- which I have to assume is in talks), but I can’t see anything else really being incorporated into the parks (unless Stitch is replaced by an attraction based on ‘The Martian’ and a ‘Kingsman’ shooting ride goes into the UK).

Except this deal isn't about getting more IP characters into the parks. It's about content and getting that content to eyeballs. Iger, in his interview on CNBC, didn't mention the parks at all.

Cmdr_Crimson

Any of the animated Films could be used for potential ideas....(I don't think Horton tho as it is a Seuss character being a Universal property and not The Peanuts as they are used for Cedar Fair Parks)
the_theatrical_films_of_20th_century_fox_animation_by_espioartwork_102-d9ml9a4.jpg

Princess Leia

Any of the animated Films could be used for potential ideas....(I don't think Horton tho as it is a Seuss character being a Universal property and not The Peanuts as they are used for Cedar Fair Parks)
the_theatrical_films_of_20th_century_fox_animation_by_espioartwork_102-d9ml9a4.jpg
I doubt they’ll touch Book of Life since it shares similar content to Coco, and doesn’t Universal have theme park rights to Ice Age abroad? Or am I confusing that with another theme park?

At last, Anastasia is finally a Disney film ;) Russia pavilion confirmed.

Princess Leia

Except this deal isn't about getting more IP characters into the parks. It's about content and getting that content to eyeballs. Iger, in his interview on CNBC, didn't mention the parks at all.
Oh I don’t disagree. I was just wondering what the pay off in the parks could be. It makes things a little complicated when you’re selling Marvel, Seuss and Simpson merch at Universal, and that money is going right to Disney.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I think they could inject into all 4 theme park any of these fine pieces of movie IP to make them, and Epcot in particular, "more Disney", "more relevant", "more family-friendly", and "more timeless". Nothing screams "Disney!!!" like a bunch of acquired movie IP in those old, crusty, out-dated theme parks...

Cmdr_Crimson

I doubt they’ll touch Book of Life since it shares similar content to Coco, and doesn’t Universal have theme park rights to Ice Age abroad? Or am I confusing that with another theme park?

At last, Anastasia is finally a Disney film ;) Russia pavilion confirmed.

No Blue Sky Animation is through 20th century....While they do have a Water Ride attraction in Movie Park Germany it was just licence usage to use them...This also includes Ferngully The Last Rainforest as well Making Cryssa also a part of the Disney Family...

Cmdr_Crimson

Come to think of it Russi Taylor doesn't need to worry about anything considering all of her Characters she does now are under Disney....
222.png

kthomas105

National Geographic within AK is the only other one I can think of, maybe a Home Alone Christmas overlay somewhere in a park.

Princess Leia

No Blue Sky Animation is through 20th century....While they do have a Water Ride attraction in Movie Park Germany it was just licence usage to use them...This also includes Ferngully The Last Rainforest as well Making Cryssa also a part of the Disney Family...
Now Disney has all 3 of the “environmental edutainment’ films under one roof- Pocahontas, Ferngully, and the combination of the two set in space- Avatar.

kthomas105

I don't think that is lost on them, I think they were just curious if there were any particular IP's besides the ones listed that could be integrated into the parks currently.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is my take on the deal.

Disney has sat back and watched how streaming services are shaping up. It's watched subscribers, especially Millenials, started cord cutting and how that's affected ESPN revenues. It watched Comcast become a content provider. It's watched Google, Apple and Amazon become distributors through YouTube TV, Apple TV and Amazon Fire. It's seen Sling and Sony Vue become more popular as those cords get cut. Rumors start floating that Comcast may be getting into the streaming business to counter cord cutting.

Meanwhile, Rupert's got some family issues with his sons James and Lachlan. UK is closely scrutinizing Sky, which will impact his ability to expand. But he's got 30% of Hulu.

Comcast starts sniffing. But Comcast has anti-trust issues after acquiring NBC/Universal. Disney looks better.

Bob and Rupert talk. Bob gets content for eyeballs and a way to deliver it through HuIu's platform, so it doesnt have to build its own or license another (I honestly think Disney may go after the remaining balance of Hulu). Rupert gets stock in Disney (along with other Fox shareholders) and gets to keep that part if the business he's more into.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh I don’t disagree. I was just wondering what the pay off in the parks could be. It makes things a little complicated when you’re selling Marvel, Seuss and Simpson merch at Universal, and that money is going right to Disney.

Only a portion of that $1 Is going to Disney.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't think that is lost on them, I think they were just curious if there were any particular IP's besides the ones listed that could be integrated into the parks currently.

I agree. But that right now isn't the most impactful part of the deal, company wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom