News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

No Name

Director James Mangold’s go to line during press for that film was, “I didn’t want to have to sell Happy Meals.”

That being said, the Netflix Marvel shows are all TV-MA. Disney ABC has a show called SMILF on Showtime. They don’t need to buy an adult cable channel or an adult movie studio to do these things. They did it before with Touchstone and Miramax and they still do it on TV.

Yes, but many of those things, Disney doesn't like to put their name too close to. Of course, that's why Touchstone began, because they started making PG-rated movies. Now films get a PG rating if they appeal to anyone over the age of 3, but back then it meant something. Anyway, my point is, in a similar way to Touchstone, I can't imagine them embracing 20th Century Fox under the Disney name like they do Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars. They may very well allow the Fox division to continue distributing rated-R movies, but not associate too closely.

JoeCamel

You are right. Universal gets to keep the Marvel theme park rights in Orlando for as long as they want therm. However it is also a fact that Universal will have to pay for the theme park rights for the Simpsons in both Orlando and Hollyweood. That contract however was not signed underr the financial terms Marvel was under so you can be sure that just like Harry Potter it will have to be renewed. The Simpson' are more important to Universal due to the fact they are in multiple parks than Marvel which soon will only be in Orlando. In any case Disney gets complete confidential information on all of Universals parks thanks to buying Fox.
I responded to you before on this...... Universal cuts a check no matter who owns the Simpsons.... It makes zero difference if it is Fox or Disney, it is the same check. The contract runs to the late 2020s, by that time they will want a change or they will renegotiate. So far in the future it may change hands again. Blue sky is not really your forte.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except Avatar was actually a good movie, can't say that about any of the Transformers films.

Was it? I can't remember anything about it other than. Glowing cgi...and that is a very common theme.

I think avatar - like titanic - was a series of fortunate circumstance for Cameron...

There literally wasn't ANY competition in theaters for months and 3D was really hot at the time...those factors are extremely rare.

Imagine how much money a Star Wars would make if there was a 4 month hole in the box office schedule?

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Disney will be buying Fox's film and TV studio, the National Geographic and FX cable channels business, regional sports networks, international networks, including Star India, Fox's 30 percent stake in Hulu and its 39 percent stake in European pay TV giant Sky.

Iger, will extend his contract through 2021.

The deal will make Rupert Murdoch, co-executive chairman of Fox, and sons James and Lachlan, key shareholders of Disney stock. Fox shareholders will end up with about a 25 percent stake in Disney, with the Murdoch family trust owning around 5 percent, according to Bloomberg estimates.

James Murdoch could get offered a senior Disney executive role that he would take on once the transaction closes, but the companies didn't immediately announce anything about his future on Thursday.

The deal is worth $52.4 billion, valuing shares of Fox at $40 apiece while they had traded Wednesday at $32.75.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Logan is rated R, is very serious, has no porg-like characters, and has a certain story element that I'd be shocked to see in the MCU. Oh, and doesn't have Wolverine in the title. Essentially it was made to be a successful movie rather than a merchandising machine. Not saying one is better or worse, but that is a key difference between Fox and Disney, and a reason I don't see the two businesses meshing well.

Obviously you didnt look at the associated numbers for just Star India alone... thats 720 million monthly subscribers... it doesn't need to mesh. Sky is a producer of top quality original content as well with 23 million monthly subscribers in Northern Europe. Its an entertainment company.. it doesnt necessarily mean its has to be a homogeneous entertainment company.

porg2.jpg

Gringrinngghost

The Simpsons Season 10 Episode 5 "When You Dish Upon a Star"

upload_2017-12-14_7-57-32.png

NOTES FOR TODAY:

Disney will conduct an investor conference call at approximately 8:00 a.m. EST / 5:00 a.m. PST today, Thursday, December 14, 2017. To listen to the live webcast, please visit www.disney.com/investors. The webcast presentation will be archived.

21st Century Fox senior executives will host a conference call at approximately 9:00 a.m. EST / 6:00 a.m. PST today, Thursday December 14, 2017, to discuss the creation of “New Fox” and the Disney transaction. The conference call will be webcast on 21stCentury Fox’s investor relations website at www.21cf.com/investor-relations.

Disney will also hold a previously scheduled investor meeting with Disney management at approximately 5:00 p.m. EST / 2:00 p.m. PST today, Thursday, December 14, 2017, which will be webcast at www.disney.com/investors. The webcast presentation will be archived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom