News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

hobovampire

Why is it banned? What did I miss?
Banned is not quite the word. Universal has the rights to what are called Families in Florida or south of some line I can't remember. They have the Avengers family, the Spiderman Family and the X-men family which means park exclusivity for Universal south that one line I can't remember. Disney World will (currently) never get anything that can be connected to any of those three families. California, however, has no restriction hence World gets Guardians cuz they're not tied to any of the Families and Disneyland will be getting a Marvel Area because any Marvel IP is allowed.

tl;dr
Universal owns Marvel Park exclusivity in Florida for the Avengers family, the Spiderman Family and the X-men family so only Universal can have those things in Florida. Disney cannot.

Ismael Flores

Which area? Xmen is banned in Orlando

I was talking about the rumored Marvel land for Anaheim. I'm sure that during the design phase WDI was instructed to concentrate on adding themes and references to only things within the MCU. Disney has always been a bit careful about promoting other studio properties unless they can profit of them. If the purchase happens then they can pretty much add X-men references and have meet and greets and not worry about promoting other studios properties.
It will also be interesting to see how Disney handles the promotional stuff for the upcoming X-men movies if they own the Fox studio. Fox had a few X-men related movies coming for 2018/2019.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's a quiz for you: what's the name of 1 character in avatar?

And how many people that have seen it can answer that question?

Why in this thread do you want to relitigate Pandora Land? There are plenty of other threads to decry Avatar-based attractions and to make the point that it will never be popular at a Disney park.

Next Big Thing

IF Avatar 2-5 are ever finished.
Well they're finally into the filming process so you'd hope that if it has made it this far it's actually happening.

I actually think Disney owning AVATAR gives it a fighting chance at longevity as a franchise (& success). Disney will be able to determine the best time to release AVATAR in accordance with it's yearly Star Wars installments. I know that Fox was planning on basically going head to head with Star Wars for Avatar 2, which would've been completely and utterly stupid.

SirLink

Well they're finally into the filming process so you'd hope that if it has made it this far it's actually happening.

I actually think Disney owning AVATAR gives it a fighting chance at longevity as a franchise (& success). Disney will be able to determine the best time to release AVATAR in accordance with it's yearly Star Wars installments. I know that Fox was planning on basically going head to head with Star Wars for Avatar 2, which would've been completely and utterly stupid.

With this buyout they would own the distribution rights not the franchise that is owned by James Camerons' company.

Next Big Thing

With this buyout they would own the distribution rights not the franchise that is owned by James Camerons' company.
I understand that and simply worded it wrong. I know Cameron owns his baby.

My point was, AVATAR will actually have a fair shake under the Disney umbrella given that Alan Horn will be able to schedule both Star Wars and AVATAR so that they both are successful and not competing against each other.

jaxonp

Disney already has no equal at the top of the box office anymore with Pixar, Lucasfil & Marvel on top of Disney's own productions... Now you're telling me they're adding one of the big 5 into their portfolio? How do the other studios begin to compete? I imagine we will see Universal, Paramount & WB consider some sort of merger at some point! It's only a matter of time.

njDizFan

I'm curious as to who are the people that are really for this acquisition.
Stockholders? Yes eventually I could see the share prices increase.
Disney Park fans? What Fox properties do you want to see or think will be incorporated into the parks?
Disney brand fans? What IPs are you so excited to see under the Disney umbrella and how will they be better?
Streamers? Getting a larger stake in Hulu where Disney can dump content, is this better than them creating their own streaming service?
Sports Fans? More Regional Sports networks being owned by Disney is that a win?
Murdoch fans? or Iger haters?

Obviously anybody who is in favor of diversification of content, has to be against this merger. I really do not relish the idea of Disney having so much say over my TV and broadcast entertainment.

Next Big Thing

Stockholders? Yes eventually I could see the share prices increase.
Disney Park fans? What Fox properties do you want to see or think will be incorporated into the parks?
Disney brand fans? What IPs are you so excited to see under the Disney umbrella and how will they be better?
Streamers? Getting a larger stake in Hulu where Disney can dump content, is this better than them creating their own streaming service?
Sports Fans? More Regional Sports networks being owned by Disney is that a win?
Murdoch fans? or Iger haters?

Obviously anybody who is in favor of diversification of content, has to be against this merger. I really do not relish the idea of Disney having so much say over my TV and broadcast entertainment.
I think an Alien/AvP attraction could be cool, but I certainly don't see Disney going that route considering the backlash they faced with Alien Encounter.

Gatorboy

I haven’t seen any mention of the possibility of leveraging a deal with Universal to get the Marvel parks rights back by trading the distribution rights Fox has for several Dreamworks properties, such as How to train your Dragon, Croods, etc. Also, many franchises Fox has could be rebooted into content for their streaming service. Imagine some mid level movies directly to this upcoming service. Percy Jackson, Maze Runner, X Files. There will be as now, only so much room for tent pole franchises, yet many great ones could be utilized for streaming

DisneyDodo

Ummm... yes? It's not exactly clear yet how this acquisition will affect Disney's streaming service plans, but if they decide to go the route of putting all of their content on Hulu instead of creating a new service, that would be great for consumers - one less streaming service to pay for. My hope is that we will eventually have a one-stop-shop for streaming movies, like Spotify is becoming for music. This would be a huge step in that direction. The alternative would be a huge step away from this (i.e. towards a different service for every type of content - like TV channels now)

the.dreamfinder

I haven’t seen any mention of the possibility of leveraging a deal with Universal to get the Marvel parks rights back by trading the distribution rights Fox has for several Dreamworks properties, such as How to train your Dragon, Croods, etc. Also, many franchises Fox has could be rebooted into content for their streaming service. Imagine some mid level movies directly to this upcoming service. Percy Jackson, Maze Runner, X Files. There will be as now, only so much room for tent pole franchises, yet many great ones could be utilized for streaming
None of those are valuable enough to force them to give it up, and UNI shouldn’t either. Marvel’s home in Orlando is at UNI and Disney fans, and thirsty executives, need to make peace with that.

Fox only distributed some of DWA’s films and they were bought out by NBCU last year.

Gatorboy

None of those are valuable enough to force them to give it up, and UNI shouldn’t either. Marvel’s home in Orlando is at UNI and Disney fans, and thirsty executives, need to make peace with that.

Fox only distributed some of DWA’s films and they were bought out by NBCU last year.
they are still shown as Fox and you greatly under value distribution rights.

the.dreamfinder

they are still shown as Fox and you greatly under value distribution rights.
No I don’t. I just see them as they are, impermanent. NBCU will buy the distribution rights back to those films, like Disney did with the pre-Thor 2 MCU and Indiana Jones films from Paramount. Theme park rights are separate from film distribution rights.

Rumrunner

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79072

https://www.newsarama.com/37714-fox-disney-deal-moves-to-legal-stages-report.html

Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Die Hard, Transporter, Home Alone, Wimpy Kid, Percy Jackson, Maze Runner franchises now under the Disney umbrella. Blue Sky Studios also becomes a part of Disney, which includes the highly successful Ice Age film series.
From an investment standpoint I always become concerned when a company starts gobbling up competitors to prop up the books. It usually does not bode well for the investors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We’re going to reach that point with sports. ESPN, and FSN, don’t own their most valuable content; live sports. Live sports will continue to demand value in a way the rest of the cable bundle won’t. Problem being, however, if fewer people want to buy cable and sports fans don’t want to pay for the rest of the cable bundle, then sports teams/colleges have to make a decision. Why have a middle man like FSN distribute your content when they don’t necessarily provide added value to you, but skim off your broadcast revenue $$$? If you build your own cable channel with the other local teams, it’s not so hard. The technical hurdles aren’t that big and can be easily overcome. And you know what they can do once they don’t have to go through a distributor? They can offer streaming rights to their games by themselves without a cable subscription, which they can’t do now because of blackout restrictions.

No, no and no

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom