News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
According to the story by the BBC, it's not automatic that James Murdoch will be CEO after Iger or even have a spot on the BoD. According to the article, Iger has stated that James will be "integral to the integration process. He and I will be discussing whether there is a role for him or not at our company". I hope this is true and not business speak for "yeah, he's probably my successor but we're gonna wait 4 years so that our talent and the public won't freak". Extending Bob's tenure another 2 years until the end of 2021 is fine with me if it keeps the Murdochs out of the company.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does anyone actually know the details on Uni's agreement for the Simpsons in the parks. Just curious.

That has to be a license as well...matt groening you would think owns the property. Fox was nothing when the simpsons blew up...it was that and al bundy. I would think in the second deal...he took control of the property...they wouldn't have had a choice.

the.dreamfinder

I don't know...I'm asking?

Cameron would not have to have his movies financed by the studios...only he, Lucas and Spielberg in the form of dreamworks can do that...why wouldn't they?
James Cameron/Lightstorm control Avatar. Fox is just a distributor. If Disney wanted to, they could bought out Fox from that contract and brought it to WDP or Disneynature.

LAKid53

Premium Member
But in the digital/post home video era...it doesn't mean nearly as much as it once did...especially if they continue to mass produce bad, disjointed Star Wars movies

Doesn't matter. You own the IP, you're going to be entitled to a piece of everything, depending on the sale & distribution deal for that particular product of the IP. Before The Force Awakens, Disney had made back its $4.1B for the payment of LucasFilms.

OMG, there's SW Campbell soups. :confused: Wonder what piece of that $2.00 per can is Disney's?

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Sorry... thought it was the infamous Marvel contract.
It's funny that you bring that up at all because I was just thinking that Disney making some sort of deal with Universal doesn't seem so impossible anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit pie in the sky, but now that they've made a shared agreement with Sony to get Spider-Man in the MCU AND the X-Men rights back wholesale, the ironclad Universal theme park rights are the last Marvel domino to fall. Sure, all three of these are vastly different deals, but I'll just say this. If you told me earlier this year even that Fox's Marvel properties would be back at Marvel by December, I would've laughed hysterically in your face.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is probably a bad thing for us...let's be honest.

Iger needs to go before none of us can go for a week without speaking to a loan officer...
He needs to go as all his actions are desperation moves for stock value and that doesn't provide the stability longterm disney must have...

And the Murdochs around is also a bad idea...
Does anyone know who Rupert Murdoch is?

Pro-American? A cowboy and marine fan?

Lol...
An Australian billionaire who (in print...so nobody knows) has made it clear he hates two kinds of people:
1. The poor
2. Americans

...which makes him the greatest ringmaster since PT Barnum...with other obvious references there.

Now he'll be dead soon...and Jerry hall can go back to Mick...but how far can the apples fall off the tree?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Me too...

Though I know the entire movie already...

:hilarious:

So who's gonna lose their hand in this one? And will the new Death Star be an entire solar system this time?

Disney is buying back $10B in stock before deal closes, according to CNBC. Fox shareholders will own 25% of Disney (that's not just the Murdochs, folks).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's funny that you bring that up at all because I was just thinking that Disney making some sort of deal with Universal doesn't seem so impossible anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still a bit pie in the sky, but now that they've made a shared agreement with Sony to get Spider-Man in the MCU AND the X-Men rights back wholesale, the ironclad Universal theme park is the last Marvel domino to fall. Sure, all three of these are vastly different deals, but I'll just say this. If you told me earlier this year even that Fox's Marvel properties would be back at Marvel by December, I would've laughed hysterically in your face.

Comcast is in an IP battle with Disney...they're the only two players really left as Sony inevitably retracts...

So I would say it's less likely they get anything from Comcast now...
1. Comcast made its billions off cable tv...you see where that's going. Disney is in trouble because of espn and that isn't nearly as big of a problem as Comcast.
2. Comcast is well run...the Roberts are smart and shrewd and nobody around/under iger is because of the insane Eisner culture that still exists in essence.
3. They made their choice to be a big themepark operator...giving material to your competitor down the street doesn't make sense...even if they have to pay. It's like a "loss leader"

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is probably a bad thing for us...let's be honest.

Iger needs to go before none of us can go for a week without speaking to a loan officer...
He needs to go as all his actions are desperation moves for stock value and that doesn't provide the stability longterm disney must have...

And the Murdochs around is also a bad idea...
Does anyone know who Rupert Murdoch is?

Pro-American? A cowboy and marine fan?

Lol...
An Australian billionaire who (in print...so nobody knows) has made it clear he hates two kinds of people:
1. The poor
2. Americans

...which makes him the greatest ringmaster since PT Barnum...with other obvious references there.

Now he'll be dead soon...and Jerry hall can go back to Mick...but how far can the apples fall off the tree?

Actually, Rupert is now a US citizen. If I remember, there are regulations prohibiting the ownership of US media by foreigners.

And don't forget, he still owns WSJ.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, Rupert is now a US citizen. If I remember, there are regulations prohibiting the ownership of US media by foreigners.

And don't forget, he still owns WSJ.

He probably has private shuttle service from quantus to the lower east side heliport then...

You mean the Wall Street journal that has actively supported/counciled to exploit your fellow man for economic gain for 50 years?

...what a guy...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
:hilarious:

So who's gonna lose their hand in this one? And will the new Death Star be an entire solar system this time?

Disney is buying back $10B in stock before deal closes, according to CNBC. Fox shareholders will own 25% of Disney (that's not just the Murdochs, folks).

Annual passes just got raised to $3800 for children 3-9...

...and pop century is now $410 a night for preferred view

LAKid53

Premium Member
Comcast is in an IP battle with Disney...they're the only two players really left as Sony inevitably retracts...

So I would say it's less likely they get anything from Comcast now...
1. Comcast made its billions off cable tv...you see where that's going. Disney is in trouble because of espn and that isn't nearly as big of a problem as Comcast.
2. Comcast is well run...the Roberts are smart and shrewd and nobody around/under iger is because of the insane Eisner culture that still exists in essence.
3. They made their choice to be a big themepark operator...giving material to your competitor down the street doesn't make sense...even if they have to pay. It's like a "loss leader"

Yeah, the Roberts would have to completely certifiably insane to do anything to be in breach of that contract. And the price for Disney would probably deplete their assets to get Marvel in WDW.

Man, Iger is a stiff interview....

LAKid53

Premium Member
According to Iger, it's ALL about content, and some global reach. Crap, there a $2.5B penalty fee if Disney can't get this through DOJ.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom