News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Hatbox Ghostbuster

He has all this money to play around with because of all the stock buybacks he and others did over the years. You can go back several years ago and see I suggested they could and would use it for mergers. It is also why I want them to continue to buy back stock in the future. You never know when something which would be a great addition may be available and having the ability to just get the Board to approve it makes the purchase easier and cheaper.
Just saying: Having cohesive and updated parks would also be a great addition to the companies continued growth.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Methinks too many are getting their hopes up with this deal.

"Oh, Disney could do such-and-such with the NatGeo/FX/blahblahblah channel!" But will they? I have serious doubts.

"They'll have a huge movie library!" Yeah, but there was a Bloomberg article today that stated the reason "classic movies" aren't generally available is because they don't generate a lot of revenue, for streaming services or retail. And wasn't there a theme park attraction devoted to Hollywood and "classic movies" that Disney just closed?

"They'll have so much more IP to use in the parks!!!" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Temper your enthusiasm and especially your expectations with this deal.

seascape

Just saying: Having cohesive and updated parks would also be a great addition to the companies continued growth.
Looking back to July 2014. Disney had 95.6 billion in market value in the treasury stock which they had purchased for 37.8 billion. Using today' stock market value the current value of that July 2014 stock is about 115 billion. Therefore the actual money this is costing Disney from former profits is less than 25 billion. That is why you want to buy back stock.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Looking back to July 2014. Disney had 95.6 billion in market value in the treasury stock which they had purchased for 37.8 billion. Using today' stock market value the current value of that July 2014 stock is about 115 billion. Therefore the actual money this is costing Disney from former profits is less than 25 billion. That is why you want to buy back stock.
...OK...
Soon....you're saying they have even MORE money to spend on Epcot...Great!

willtravel

That's what it appears...newscorp is huge...and though Rupert is practically in the ground at this point, stripping it down to nothing makes no sense to the kids...
...unless their goal is to join the disney board and proxy it with the option of one day trying to control it...
You are saying the kids did not want to sell 20th Century Fox? "With the option to control it". You mean Disney to own remaining of Fox or Fox to own Disney?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are saying the kids did not want to sell 20th Century Fox? "With the option to control it". You mean Disney to own remaining of Fox or Fox to own Disney?

I mean Murdoch(s) influencing or on the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company...which is a delicate point of this deal that the business rags are tiptoeing around. If not today then in the future.

I don't think they don't want to sell fox...I think they are almost deciding to abandon it by selling off chunks and are looking for a comfy landing spot. They will end up with an incredible amount stock in disney when this goes through...similar to Jobs.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

I mean Murdoch(s) influencing or on the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company...which is a delicate point of this deal that the business rags are tiptoeing around. If not today then in the future.

I don't think they don't want to sell fox...I think they are almost deciding to abandon it by selling off chunks and are looking for a comfy landing spot. The will end up with an incredible amount stock in disney when this goes through...similar to Jobs.
They’re going to be active investors, unlike Steve and Laurene. A power vacuum is opening and the Murdochs think they can seize it.

Disney may be buying Fox, but they’re in it to control Disney.

seascape

...OK...
Soon....you're saying they have even MORE money to spend on Epcot...Great!
I want Disney to do it all. However this purchase will actually increase there money available to Parks and Resorts. None of the money comes from current profits, it all comes from past profits. The only question is was it worth banking 25 billion from past profits to gain all the assets they are buying today or would they have made more by investing it in expansion over the year? I like doing both. Expand Parks and Resorts and buy back stock for future deals.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disney will soon own Fox... Fox owns the "Alien" movie franchise... the "Alien" movie franchise has a queen Xenomorph... the queen Xenomorph has babies... a Queen's babies are called princesses... ergo, xenomorph babies will be the newest Disney princesses!

gmajew

Premium Member
I have been watching the sale of Fox for awhile.... Comcast was in on the bidding and has since dropped out... But this is business and they can be back in last second if the deal gets shaky...

Disney is buying this for content the studios in my mind is a bonus. They need to content to get into the digital market in a big way. It also provides them some studios to produce enough TV shows for their networks they dont need to ever buy form the outside again. That is a huge huge cost saving for the company.

Then the bonus is the tv stations and the such they get..... I am not sure how they handle the sports divisions as that is a direct hit on ESPN... but as of now Fox sports 1 is staying with the FoXnews and the local broadcast fox.

Bottom line this gives Disney the catalog to really go after netflix... which is where the future is for them as a media player.

SirLink

They don’t control wireless spectrum and their internet access is provided through BT, correct?

Most if not all all ISPs here in the UK need a BT phoneline to be able to gain internet as BT was privatized they have second shoot of company which maintains telephone lines, to deliver more competitive product between ISPs. And in the UK and Europe 5G is in the wireless spectrum where there is not enough room. A lot of government agencies were already operated in the same radio frequency of 4G - there isn't a lot of 'wiggle room'.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I want Disney to do it all. However this purchase will actually increase there money available to Parks and Resorts. None of the money comes from current profits, it all comes from past profits. The only question is was it worth banking 25 billion from past profits to gain all the assets they are buying today or would they have made more by investing it in expansion over the year? I like doing both. Expand Parks and Resorts and buy back stock for future deals.
My question is, beyond Avatar, which Fox property shows up as IP in the parks??

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
psssshhhh whats a couple billion here and there?

Gosh, do we really ever just stop and consider the ridiculous amount of seemingly disposable money Iger gets to play with?

It's why he should be out of a job...frankly. Too "comfortable" and old hat after this many years...we're close to 15. Eisner's head was on a platter starting at this point and frankly he did a TON of more significant longterm moves.

Iger has rode espn into the ground...and that was their profit cow. Not revenue...profit...

All these moves to acquire IP and distribution are in big part to try and reinvent the golden goose. Especially this.

All I know is that wdw is a lot more crowded all year long now and my bills are WAYYY up over the last decade or so...and that's a problem that buying fox is going to make worse. It always does when they spin it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom