News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

bartholomr4

What a joke. Hulu still loses money and is not worth more than about 8 billion total so he is complaining about 2.4 billion out of a total transaction cost of 84 to 85 billion. This will be tossed in a day or two.
If this is the same Robert H Weiss (LA Attorney) he is a well known Class Action Attorney who routinely attempts to collect funds from companies who are merging.

Stripes

Premium Member
Comcast hopes that preparing now for such divestitures will ease Fox’s concerns over potential antitrust risks and boost the chances of its bid disrupting Fox’s agreed $71 billion cash-and-stock deal to sell the assets to Walt Disney Co (DIS.N), the sources said on Monday.
Why would Fox care if they already lined up buyers? Comcast already promised to divest the RSNs. The thinking here is laughable.

I'll tell you who should be ticked: Comcast shareholders. There is no time for Comcast to negotiate a good price for the RSNs if they intend on lining up a buyer before they make a bid. They're literally trying to shrink a 2-3 month process into a week or two.

If you want my opinion: Comcast is sunk.

smile

What a joke. Hulu still loses money and is not worth more than about 8 billion total so he is complaining about 2.4 billion out of a total transaction cost of 84 to 85 billion. This will be tossed in a day or two.

so insignificant it wasn't disclosed?

Rodan75

I think Comcast just wants to keep Disney from getting larger. Disney will have the OTP services so they will no longer be dependent on Comcast for distribution. At the same time with the new cable channels Comcast will be much more dependent on Disney for content. In fact it is scary for cable companies that cable tv is no longer a necessity and that 5G will end the cable monopoly on high speed internet. Something I have been talking about here for several years and is about to become a reality for consumers. I strongly believe Comcast is making a big mistake in trying for content when they should be going all in on 5G service nationwide.

Yeah, the more you think through Comcast's angle in all of this, the less it makes sense. Comcast doesn't need content to compete with Disney, it has all of those markets covered. If they wanted international, there are other cheaper companies to go after. If they want 'edgy' domestic content, they could go after AMC Networks, all of the Fox leadership is up for poaching if they just wanted new tastemakers. Fox is interesting, but not complementary to Comcast in the same ways it is complementary to Disney. Comcast would be buying big swaths of Fox to essentially shut them down.

Disney is going to get bigger and less dependent on linear distribution regardless of what Comcast does here. Robert's best bet is to secure his company for the next gen of distribution technology (5G and the road to 100GPBS) and shore up content holes as necessary. Not loading up on debt for services that overlap with his own.

Rodan75

Mergers always seem to create these types of lawsuits...they rarely go anywhere.

Stripes

Premium Member
Tell that to DOJ when they tried to prevent them to get NBCUniversal....
Uhh, there was a settlement...and a judge placed even more restrictions on the terms of that settlement. Apparently DOJ could weigh in next week on Comcast. If that's the case, that means they'll be warning them of a lawsuit if they proceed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DOJ believes so. According to Gasparino on Twitter, officials at the DoJ HATE Comcast and their business model.

Few If any Doj People are left...at least not those with a say.

That’s a red herring. Can we stop painting Disney as “good” and Comcast as “bad”?

Both greedy ba$tards in the end. Who ever manages to swindle the biggest number will win.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think Comcast just wants to keep Disney from getting larger. Disney will have the OTP services so they will no longer be dependent on Comcast for distribution. At the same time with the new cable channels Comcast will be much more dependent on Disney for content. In fact it is scary for cable companies that cable tv is no longer a necessity and that 5G will end the cable monopoly on high speed internet. Something I have been talking about here for several years and is about to become a reality for consumers. I strongly believe Comcast is making a big mistake in trying for content when they should be going all in on 5G service nationwide.

Comcast lacks sufficient spectrum to get into the last mile fight. They and Charter partnered with Verizon for mobile service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom