News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For people with Comcast Xfinity service, they offer a lot of WiFi hotspots. How do they get that coverage? I'm pretty sure they're using their cable modems that customers rent and setting up additional networks. That cable infrastructure is extremely valuable when it comes to providing wireless services.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3039682...ur-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

Coax, as a communications channel will be strong for a while. Docsis 3.1 provides 10Gbps down 1Gbps up theoretical capacity. I worked on a product that a big internet company was looking at for a nascent wireless gigabit network. Not sure where it went. I'd love for that technology to take off, but it seems like there are more hurdles than I thought. Coax is already installed and medium capacity (not fiber, but worlds better than twisted-pair). Problem with coax is the cable companies you have to get service from.

No...I’m not disagreeing with you at all. You still need the coax and will for some time.

I was more speaking to this implied stance that once Gramps dies and his cable is cut...that Comcast won’t have a business.

But the reality is that unless there is another large tech innovation, Comcast still has everyone by the stones because they’ll charge you by the bit to get whatever it is you stream.

Aka: the future isn’t as dire as the Foamers are making it seem. That 90 story tower they’re building about 10 Miles from my house is being built for a reason.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has the Nasdaq returned to its dot-com highs yet? The internet was huge 20 years ago, but it was based on growth. Growth that over the past 20 years has pretty much played out - not exactly as people expected, but it's grown exponentially.

It eclipsed its high in 2015. About 50% above that. However, 50% growth over 18 years isn't a whole lot. Tech market in 2000 was massive.
I dont think people want an economic class here but what happened in the 1990s was a huge bubble based upon a change in the law which allowed companies to go public with no real underlying business. Anyway it was not based on real economic numbers as technology today is so much bigger there is no comparison. Maybe you should look up the tulip bulb bubble to get an upstanding of a bubble and how foolish people can be.

And yet: the bubble situation is much worse/more dangerous now. We have learned NOTHING to protect ourselves collectively from the handful of predators.
Voldemort is alive and well

the.dreamfinder

That is a tough past choice. At the moment and for nearly 2 decades it was the best choice.
Michael wanted a broadcast network and really wasn’t able to make it work the way he understood them. Then he compounded that deal with Fox Family, but that’s another story. The ABC deal was the death of the Disney Ecosystem business model towards that of a conventional media conglomerate, which have been hostile, if not slow to changing their business models.
Wasn't the Disney/Cap Cities merger over 20 years ago? Was the internet really a thing to "embrace" at that point?
Well, Amazon was founded over twenty years ago as an online bookstore and now they sell me granola bars and movies and tv shows they produce. Going back through books and articles written around or about that time, it’s clear Michael and senior management had no clue how to approach the internet and went for the appearance of understanding (Infoseek/GO) rather than actual substantive understanding that could be huge when the time came.

Then ask yourself, is this Fox deal motivated by appearances or substance?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Michael wanted a broadcast network and really wasn’t able to make it work the way he understood them. Then he compounded that deal with Fox Family, but that’s another story. The ABC deal was the death of the Disney Ecosystem business model towards that of a conventional media conglomerate, which have been hostile, if not slow to changing their business models.

Well, Amazon was founded over twenty years ago as an online bookstore and now they sell me granola bars and movies and tv shows they produce. Going back through books and articles written around or about that time, it’s clear Michael and senior management had no clue how to approach the internet and went for the appearance of understanding (Infoseek/GO) rather than actual substantive understanding that could be huge when the time came.

Then ask yourself, is this Fox deal motivated by appearances or substance?

Valid points.

Eisner was big into controlling the supply chain...hence his obsession with abc. It was also personal ego - as that was where he started.

But Disney and the Internet - or more importantly distribution - have always been a bad match.

Iger has made some mistakes as well...so it will be interesting what they do with this much promised “cable” Type platform. Everyone assumes they can easily bag the snipe...I’m not so sure.

Phicinfan

Are we still talking themepark rights?

The next person that says that must come up with the $5 billion it would take for joe Rohde to build a half acre marvel land in Epcot...

STAAAAHHHHPPPP!!!

On another note: I wish disney would sell the RSNs AND espn to Comcast...get the sports albatross of the books.
gotta agree here, There is no way Disney will pony up to get theme park rights, and quite frankly, no reason for comcast to sell them.

As per you other quote, I too would love Disney to drop ESPN and the RSNs together as a full sports package - to get best value(IF there is any value still with ESPN).

However, I don't see them dumping ABC, as they need network slot to air their programing...IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Disneyland and the Disney Store, circa late 80’s/90’s beg to differ.

Content + Distribution is when Disney, as an ecosystem instead of a brand, succeed.

Film “distribution” is a tad different, is it not? All movies still have to be produced and distributed...that’s more of a process.

And the Disney store was run into the ground by the evil henchmen of the same Eisner...

Notably...this guy:
1531226847011.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
gotta agree here, There is no way Disney will pony up to get theme park rights, and quite frankly, no reason for comcast to sell them.

As per you other quote, I too would love Disney to drop ESPN and the RSNs together as a full sports package - to get best value(IF there is any value still with ESPN).

However, I don't see them dumping ABC, as they need network slot to air their programing...IMO.

...I think it just had a heartattack 😱

Anyway...since 20 people talk about getting marvel rights “back” (they never had them) on every single damn thread...someone please explain to me how that would play out?

I’m dying to see why getting themepark rights would not be a tremendous cost/lost in the current situation?

pdude81

I don't see how they could sell off ESPN and the RSN's together as the DOJ specifically thought that combination was as issue for the Fox/Disney merger.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Anyway...since 20 people talk about getting marvel rights “back” (they never had them) on every single damn thread...someone please explain to me how that would play out?

Yeah, it's pretty annoying when someone brings up the same topic over and over again in multiple threads. Can we agree they should be banned from the forums?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't see how they could sell off ESPN and the RSN's together as the DOJ specifically thought that combination was as issue for the Fox/Disney merger.

They can’t...

I just want espn and it’s delightful combination of drunken college football geared programs, fantasy betting for the nfl and 1000x more coverage of the nba than anyone cares about GONE.

...wishful thinking

bartholomr4

From 4-Traders.com (European Financial Site), it appears Fox will announce an increase in its bid for Sky from the $10.50 range to $13.30. This tops the Comcast bid of $12.50, and increases the pressure on COMCAST from a debt perspective (limits its ability to raise its bid for 21CF). Also, Brian Roberts, Bob Iger and Rupert Murdoch all expected to attend a Media Conference later this week in Utah.

Rodan75

Is this the case? Is it actually delayed?

I've been reading up on the Viacom/QVC battle for Paramount. I'd definitely recommend doing so as well. There's a few old New York Times articles that will open your eyes to the futility of individual opinions in bidding wars such as the one we're in. Particularly quotes from the acquired company's shareholders. Although antitrust wasn't a factor, there are a lot of parallels with the Fox battle.

I'm sure our UK-based folks can speak to this better than I can, but the Brexit driven cabinet departures in May's government have created some cascading changes, including the minister of culture (? going from memory) and that it is now unlikely that the regulatory group will announce anything this week.

Found the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/f...uk-culture-secretary-gets-new-role/ar-AAzOuJ5

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom