News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Stripes

Premium Member
Oh I've read similar about ESPN. I was just referring in terms of customer service. SKY are very aggressive in their sales tactics and their call centre staff become quite rude and hostile if you even mention that you want to leave or reduce your monthly costs
Well sounds like the Brits have nothing to worry about then, cause that's basically Comcast's main headache. From a technology standpoint, Comcast has some great products and their user experience is top-notch, but if you ever have a problem you'll want to avoid calling their "customer service" as much as you possibly can.

Stripes

Premium Member
I dunno...increased disney broadcast presence would allow them to build client base for two very large, experience themepark complexes they are tired too...

I could see it playing the way they used US cable in the 1980s and 90s to put air into their sails
There's no doubt that Disney getting Sky would be a positive move for them. There's more than a few things they could do to strengthen the value proposition to consumers. But, in my view, Comcast could add a lot more value, and I don't think Disney wants Sky bad enough to really go after it like Comcast would/will.

the.dreamfinder

Disney should sell their 39% of SKY and just push harder on the streaming services over here. Like I've said many times before, people want and are cord cutting so why buy into a Satelite TV company now?

Comcast and SKY will make a better match, their both scummy

Who has the more power, the TV provider companies or the studios making the content? I wonder if Comcast would charge Disney a pretty penny to remain on SKY
The whole point of this deal is to expand internationally. Sky represents a massive opportunity to expand their TV operations in the UK/EU. Deal makes a lot less sense without it.

mab7689

I have to say as a Sky customer when I called to cancel their service to give me a retention discount was top notch. A much better product than the competitors in my opinion. It will be interesting to see who becomes its new parent company and what that will mean for consumers. A theoretical example could be Disney Life integration if it comes under Disney.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney + Fox Graphic (if the deal goes through, and taking out Fox sports and the now defunct DisneyToon)...

every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion.jpg

Good grief...

Ag11gani

Oh I've read similar about ESPN. I was just referring in terms of customer service. SKY are very aggressive in their sales tactics and their call centre staff become quite rude and hostile if you even mention that you want to leave or reduce your monthly costs

You must have bad luck, everytime I call they seem to give me discounts or a year of free sky movies, or something like that. However, it ticks me off that they are constantly raising prices over and over agian for no real benefit.

Comcast can contribute much, much more, particularly on the TV side of things. For curiosity's sake, I watched a few videos of the new Sky Q system, and I thought Comcast's X1 was superior in just about every way. Comcast can really add a lot of value to Sky that Disney simply can't.

What kind of additions would comcast have the ability to add, thay Sky doesn't have?

seascape

After a couple of days of media analysts saying that the bidding war was cooling, it looks like someone is trying to heat it up again. https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/c...is-going-to-heat-up-foxa-dis-cmcsa/ar-AAzEKBr
I read that story this morning but did not think it was true. Comcast is up over 1% today and while Disney is down it is by less than it was up yesterday. I really believe that is Comcast were really going to make a bid and Wall Street believed it, both Comcast and Disney world be down over 1% and Fox would be over $52.00 a share.

Additionally it said Comcast would only be bidding 80 billion. That is only 11% above Disney's offer. Given the tax advantages of the Disney offer, the time value of money and the 10% certainty of the Disney deal going through, Fox shouldn't listen to any offer less than 90 billion.

Stripes

Premium Member
I wonder if Iger will show up at Sun Valley with Mayer and/or McCarthy. Regardless we'll finally know how this whole thing is gonna play out next week!

seascape

Disney should not sell the Fox RSNs but spin them off to shareholders as a separate company. Reading some of the financial analysis that selling them may bring a PE of 9 or 10 does not look like the best deal to me. These local sports networks produce lots of cash and a separate company could sell on a public exchange at a PE of 14. That would make the corporate value of the spin company be around 25 billion. I know this is not cash but it is better than Disney getting 18 billion and the also has tax advantages to all shareholders.

Rodan75

Disney should not sell the Fox RSNs but spin them off to shareholders as a separate company. Reading some of the financial analysis that selling them may bring a PE of 9 or 10 does not look like the best deal to me. These local sports networks produce lots of cash and a separate company could sell on a public exchange at a PE of 14. That would make the corporate value of the spin company be around 25 billion. I know this is not cash but it is better than Disney getting 18 billion and the also has tax advantages to all shareholders.

And I’m sure once spun off, within a year it would be acquired at an additional PE markup.

seascape

And I’m sure once spun off, within a year it would be acquired at an additional PE markup.
I think I will bring this idea to their attention on the 27th. They should look at what is best for Disney as a company and their shareholders. I hope the meeting happens on the 27th and this gets finalized in a few months.

mab7689

No matter how hard I look I'm struggling to find any information on where the deal stands in terms of regulatory approval outside of the US. I wonder (if they haven't happened already) whether they will come this month before the shareholder vote or that will be the final hurdle.

seascape

No matter how hard I look I'm struggling to find any information on where the deal stands in terms of regulatory approval outside of the US. I wonder (if they haven't happened already) whether they will come this month before the shareholder vote or that will be the final hurdle.
The UK has already issued their blessings either Disney or Universal to buy Sky. However the UK still has to approve the price. In other words thanks to Comcast neither company can set the price but a special UK board will and who ever buys Fox has to legally buy the other 61% at the price the board sets.

As far as other countries go, I think India still has to approve it.

mab7689

The UK has already issued their blessings either Disney or Universal to buy Sky. However the UK still has to approve the price. In other words thanks to Comcast neither company can set the price but a special UK board will and who ever buys Fox has to legally buy the other 61% at the price the board sets.

As far as other countries go, I think India still has to approve it.

Thanks. I should have added that I already know about the UK too as I'm English. I have posted about it in this thread. I should have been more explicit I was referring to India and possibly anywhere else that I don't know about.

mab7689

I have also seen today that said Fox (along with the equity firm that own the other 50%) are looking to offload Endemol Shine so that won't be part of the deal if they sell it before the Disney deal closes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom