News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

doctornick

While apparently high on your list of "things to acquire/movies to make", it's likely about #27 on Disney's.

I'd imagine that the Hulk (and Namor) distribution rights would be way higher on Disney's priorities to get from Comcast than the theme park rights. I'm not saying it would be a big priority either but it is something that I could see Disney making an effort to acquire.

Also, while I don't see the theme park rights ever being involved in any deal, were they to be discussed, I would think Disney's priority in that vein would be to get theme park use of the Marvel name in the US first.

HauntedMansionFLA

Disney and Fox both want this deal as much as each other wants it to happen. Disney buys SKY news which allows Fox to go ahead and buy the remaining 61% of SKY and then the whole of SKY will just default to Disney.

$19 billion back from being forced to re-sell the regional sports is a big chunk of change. I imagine that money back will make the Disney shareholders happier.

Also interesting seeing YouTube Videos where Iger and others talk about having a hit list of acquisitions which they wanted to make in 2006. Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm were all on the list. Fox wasn’t but they felt that it’s a good fit. Twitter was on the list but they walked away. I wonder who would be on the hit list next.
Apple!! Lol

TwilightZone

They officially shut down DisneyToon today and cancelled the Cars-Planes space spin off that was to go the DTC service.

Maybe they are making room for Blue Sky? I’m sure it would have happened regardless, but I kinda assumed DisneyToon would transition to full time development of DTC streaming animated movies.
This is the best day in disney history

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Fox has some stale IP like Die Hard, Independence Day and Aliens but are also well known. I wonder what will happen to those. Get some new young directors to reboot them all and see what happens?

Although they are only gaining the distribution rights to Avatar (Cameron will still own the IP) I bet Disney will help finance and make $1 billion on each of those 4 sequels

Avatar IP is - at the very least - co owned by 21CF. In all likelyhood it is co owned between 21CF and Lightstorm. All public evidence points to this.

They officially shut down DisneyToon today and cancelled the Cars-Planes space spin off that was to go the DTC service.

Maybe they are making room for Blue Sky? I’m sure it would have happened regardless, but I kinda assumed DisneyToon would transition to full time development of DTC streaming animated movies.

Blue Sky is much better and more talented than DisneyToon. That would be a major upgrade. Get whoever from DisneyToon that is talented on one of the other animation studios and call it a day.

Blue Sky would actually fit nice into what DisneyToon was supposed to be. Smaller budgeted movies, some direct to video (in this instance DTC) and some theatrical releases. I actually think they would do very well to create movies in the SW and Marvel universe. Maybe even Avatar.

mab7689

So now we have DOJ approval and a date for the shareholder vote, what are our estimates for when the deal will close? That's permitting Comcast are held off obviously.
Would it likely get the remaining international regulatory approvals and be finalised inside 2018?

mab7689

That is good...and adds a clock to any Comcast rebuttal.

There are been various stories between last night and this morning...it looks like I wasn't the only person who was confused by the rest of the domestic regulatory approvals. FCC did officially decline to review and Congress did not review. So it really is just the international regulatory approvals, and it doesn't sound like UK/EU care if they approved the SKY News purchase in conjunction with the Fox Purchase. As @seascape mentioned, the rest should all sail through (if they haven't already, I haven't researched where all of those are).

I'm trying to research where these are too but not having any joy haha. I've just assumed UK, EU and India based on what's included but don't know of anything else. I am in the UK myself so am keeping tabs on things our end.
Our government has already made a conditional ruling on Fox taking over Sky, on the condition they divest Sky News, which Disney have already agreed to buy. I'll post more in here on what developments we'll get on that front.

seascape

I expect the deal to close in the Fall and the RSNs to be sold and off the books by the end of the year. As soon as the merger is approved on July 27, Disney can start looking for a buyer. In fact any company that is interested is probably getting their offer ready. It will be interesting to see if they are sold as a package or individually or in several groups.

Stripes

Premium Member
By the way, the assumed value of Fox's RSN's has been $19 billion. This is based on an estimation by MoffettNathanson, which assumed a $2 billion EBITDA and a 10x EV/EBITDA. Fox doesn't give any info with regard to the RSN's performance but that $2 billion is way too high from what I've gathered.

the.dreamfinder

I expect the deal to close in the Fall and the RSNs to be sold and off the books by the end of the year. As soon as the merger is approved on July 27, Disney can start looking for a buyer. In fact any company that is interested is probably getting their offer ready. It will be interesting to see if they are sold as a package or individually or in several groups.
I thought the RSNs would just go back to New Fox?

seascape

I thought the RSNs would just go back to New Fox?
No, however they could actually buy them back. Under the original Comcast offer every Division had a price assigned to it and Fox had to agree to take them back if the government objected. Fox did not want the risks put back on them and that was one of the several reasons they originally took the lower Disney offer. Comcast made so many mistakes in the original negotiations and that is why they are losing. On the other hand Disney knew what they wanted and made every agreement to get it so it was approved in just 6 months.

Rodan75

No, however they could actually buy them back. Under the original Comcast offer every Division had a price assigned to it and Fox had to agree to take them back if the government objected. Fox did not want the risks put back on them and that was one of the several reasons they originally took the lower Disney offer. Comcast made so many mistakes in the original negotiations and that is why they are losing. On the other hand Disney knew what they wanted and made every agreement to get it so it was approved in just 6 months.

Honestly, the way that Disney has managed this process, it seems amazing that they haven't done an acquisition of this scale since ABC/Cap Cities. Everyone assumed that Comcast had the leg up in negotiating through the regulatory process due to their acquisition history, I believe they even touted that experience a couple of weeks ago.

seascape

Honestly, the way that Disney has managed this process, it seems amazing that they haven't done an acquisition of this scale since ABC/Cap Cities. Everyone assumed that Comcast had the leg up in negotiating through the regulatory process due to their acquisition history, I believe they even touted that experience a couple of weeks ago.
Comcast touted their experience in merging big diverse companies into Comcast. That is not the same thing as negotiating a deal quickly. In fact they did fight and finally had to agree with restrictions, which by the way many think they broke. Do I think they did a great job with NBC Universal? Yes and not to take anything away from them if you look at what is left of GE it isn't hard to think anyone would have done better.

Rodan75

Comcast touted their experience in merging big diverse companies into Comcast. That is not the same thing as negotiating a deal quickly. In fact they did fight and finally had to agree with restrictions, which by the way many think they broke. Do I think they did a great job with NBC Universal? Yes and not to take anything away from them if you look at what is left of GE it isn't hard to think anyone would have done better.

Definitely agree. I think it is safe to say that Comcast would do a great job integrating with 21CF, they are good operators.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There seems to be some pixie powder interfering with the analysis here...

Why on earth would the fox shareholders NOT want another counteroffer?

This is about money...and in the end...the winner is always whoever throws the most - no matter what jury rigging is going on. At a minimum...it means more haggling and more bloat to the offers.

People aren’t actually believing Rupert Murdoch’s perceived “preferences”, are they?

The old cranky coot has made billions off lying...or is this a secret??
This has nothing to do with pixie dust and everything to do with risk analysis. Money isn't the only factor - at this point in the process, risk also plays a significant factor, and the risk with Comcast is substantially higher. Right now, Disney has regulatory approval, so the risk associated with this deal not going through is very low (for arguments sake, say < 5%). Conversely, with Comcast, the risk is substantially higher. Let's say the risk is 33% that the deal wouldn't go through because of regulatory action. Now let's say Comcast bids $80B to Disney's $71B. The calculus to Fox's shareholders is: do I take the near-sure thing at $71B, or do I take the higher $$$ amount with the risk that I may get nothing at all? Now, if Comcast's bid is substantially better, the calculus may be that the risk is worth it. But if it's marginally better, or even moderately better, Fox shareholders may decide to take the sure thing with Disney and cash out rather than risk getting nothing with Comcast, even if the potential reward is higher.

It's like saying that you have two doors. Behind door #1, there's a 99.9999% chance that there is $10M. Behind door #2 there's a 50% chance that there's $15M. Do you take the almost sure $10M, or do you go for the coin-toss for the $15M? Does that change if the $15M is $50M? Where's that line?

Personal feelings about the impact this deal would have on Disney, If I were a Fox Shareholder, I'd vote Disney unless Comcast came in and put in a significantly higher bid that Disney didn't match, because I would want the sure thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This has nothing to do with pixie dust and everything to do with risk analysis. Money isn't the only factor - at this point in the process, risk also plays a significant factor, and the risk with Comcast is substantially higher. Right now, Disney has regulatory approval, so the risk associated with this deal not going through is very low (for arguments sake, say < 5%). Conversely, with Comcast, the risk is substantially higher. Let's say the risk is 33% that the deal wouldn't go through because of regulatory action. Now let's say Comcast bids $80B to Disney's $71B. The calculus to Fox's shareholders is: do I take the near-sure thing at $71B, or do I take the higher $$$ amount with the risk that I may get nothing at all? Now, if Comcast's bid is substantially better, the calculus may be that the risk is worth it. But if it's marginally better, or even moderately better, Fox shareholders may decide to take the sure thing with Disney and cash out rather than risk getting nothing with Comcast, even if the potential reward is higher.

It's like saying that you have two doors. Behind door #1, there's a 99.9999% chance that there is $10M. Behind door #2 there's a 50% chance that there's $15M. Do you take the almost sure $10M, or do you go for the coin-toss for the $15M? Does that change if the $15M is $50M? Where's that line?

Personal feelings about the impact this deal would have on Disney, If I were a Fox Shareholder, I'd vote Disney unless Comcast came in and put in a significantly higher bid that Disney didn't match, because I would want the sure thing.

It’s about risk analysis for you...

But if you peel the banana on many of the quotes here...it’s about wanting a perceived “win” for thy holy magic kingdom and pin lanyard.

I’m not even sure it would be a “win”...anyway.

But when someone accuses Comcast of being “greedy” over and over again...the dust is out...

As if Disney is St. Jude’s 😂😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom