Disney After Hours BOO BASH

Casper Gutman

I'm asking sincerely - unless these people who are upset aren't going or supporting Disney at all (going on cruises doesn't count) like the above poster has stopped going, aren't they just as guilty as those who are "enabling the executives tearing apart the thing they love"?

If you (general you) are still visiting any Disney destinations in any way, shape or form, spare me the lecture on the demise of Disney.
I wager quite a few of the grumps go a lot less then they once did. I spend several weeks in Orlando every year and MAYBE 3 days at WDW. I'd argue someone who goes to the parks for 10 days and stays at a Disney hotel and eats and shops on property the whole time is contributing to WDW's bad choices less then someone who stays, shops, and eats elsewhere and visits a couple parks. Disney's frantic attempts to keep guests on property supports this view.

And what you are saying doesn't make sense. If Disneyland and Disney Cruise attendance boomed but WDW attendance fell by a significant amount, execs would get the message about WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm asking sincerely - unless these people who are upset aren't going to or supporting Disney at all (going on cruises doesn't count), aren't they just as guilty as those who are "enabling the executives tearing apart the thing they love"?

If you (general you) are still visiting any Disney destinations in any way, shape or form, spare me the lecture on my contribution to the demise of Disney. You are just as guilty as me. :)
That really only applies if we’re loading up on dining plan, cupcake parties, contracts at riviera, $300 rooms at caribbean beach and “after hours” in this case

dreday3

I wager quite a few of the grumps go a lot less then they once did. I spend several weeks in Orlando every year and MAYBE 3 days at WDW. I'd argue someone who goes to the parks for 10 days and stays at a Disney hotel and eats and shops on property the whole time is contributing to WDW's bad choices less then someone who stays, shops, and eats elsewhere and visits a couple parks. Disney's frantic attempts to keep guests on property supports this view.

And what you are saying doesn't make sense. If Disneyland and Disney Cruise attendance boomed but WDW attendance fell by a significant amount, execs would get the message about WDW.

Nah.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We often disagree and that’s fine…I don’t claim to be right all the time…nor should i.

the conversation is a good brain exercise.

but you are definitely wrong here. There is no doubt that that the habits of the old guard customer has changed…as has management…because they tell the investors

Last edited:

dreday3

Cash is cash

value is not the same as price

money will burn if you light it

Guilt is guilt though.

Maybe I spend more on restaurants and put money in the mouse's pocket once every few years, but did you(general) buy that park ticket for the only day you visit each year? Yes? So you put money in the mouse's pocket too.

One act doesn't weigh more than the other at the pearly gates. :D Either they are both right, or they are both wrong.

And I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't be unhappy or even angry, but just come down off your high horses.

Casper Gutman

Guilt is guilt though.

Maybe I spend more on restaurants and put money in the mouse's pocket once every few years, but did you(general) buy that park ticket for the only day you visit each year? Yes? So you put money in the mouse's pocket too.

One act doesn't weigh more than the other at the pearly gates. :D Either they are both right, or they are both wrong.
Wait this is... this is insane. Or course one weighs more heavily. Someone spending $5,000 is positively reinforcing WDW's behavior much more than someone who spends $200.

And as a general rule, not all similar transgressions are the same - poking someone in the shoulder with your finger isn't as bad as running someone's arm through with a sharpened curtain rod.

PS: Let's compromise. Let's have everyone who visits WDW reduce their spending by 75% and see if the execs notice.

dreday3

Wait this is... this is insane. Or course one weighs more heavily. Someone spending $5,000 is positively reinforcing WDW's behavior much more than someone who spends $200.

And as a general rule, not all transgressions are the same - poking someone in the shoulder with your finger isn't as bad as running someone's arm through with a sharpened curtain rod.

Well okay. When it comes to supporting a company by purchasing their product, I think it all weighs the same, no matter how much you spend. You show your support for said company when your purchase something from said company. That purchase says "I like you, I'm going to give you money".

Have a good night!

Casper Gutman

Well okay. When it comes to supporting a company by purchasing their product, I think it all weighs the same, no matter how much you spend. You show your support for said company when your purchase something from said company.

Have a good night!
If folks were making a moral argument - say, if Disney was exploding dolphins on live TV and people were saying that you shouldn't support that immoral behavior - you'd have something a bit closer to a point. But that's not the argument being made. Making WDW worse isn't evil. The grumps feel that guests who pour tens of thousands of dollars a year into a declining product are encouraging the decline more then those who spend a couple hundred. Which is true.

Again, let's have every guest spend 75% less and see if WDW notices.

dreday3

If folks were making a moral argument - say, if Disney was exploding dolphins on live TV and people were saying that you shouldn't support that immoral behavior - you'd have something a bit closer to a point. But that's not the argument being made. Making WDW worse isn't evil. The grumps feel that guests who pour tens of thousands of dollars a year into a declining product are encouraging the decline more then those who spend a couple hundred. Which is true.

We will have to agree to disagree. Support is support in my eyes, no matter how big or how small. Boycotts don't work by people only buying "less". Either you buy the product or you stop.

I'll have to go now. Our neighbors left their fire pit behind for us after they moved today - we're going out to burn some money. 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guilt is guilt though.

And I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't be unhappy or even angry, but just come down off your high horses.

ill fill you in…

bought DVC when I was 28. (As in bought…not gifted and didn’t come from Santa clause or inheritance…worked for it)

used to be religious annual pass holders…when the price began to rise precipitously…as well as equal treatment for food in response to the shell game of the dining plan…slowed to an every other year pattern. Still travel every year…but the money goes other places.

purchased less and less product over the years as they reduced specialization and inserted plushie racks into the world showcase shops 🙄

not to mention the elimination of partnerships in the Christmas shop…like radko…it was particularly awesome when they turned the back into a frozen shop…then a nightmare one…rad.

used to rotate all the restaurants for 2 meals a day…been everywhere probably a dozen times or more…now maybe one a day….dwindling list. Gutting menu differences has not lined their pockets.

I still have fun. For sure. Home away from home. But they hurt more than I do based on the direction it’s gone. That’s numbers. Cash is cash

Last edited:

fbb

I mean, you realize that the prices suck because people keep paying them, right? That service has declined, great attractions have been removed, and the overall experience has been cheapened because people keep paying, right?
I do. I spend far less time and money with Disney than I did back then. I just don’t have any animosity towards today’s guests; not their fault that we ‘old guard’ got a ridiculously better experience. I spend much more time and money in Europe the last ten years; getting what I feel is insane value but doubtlessly doing my part to cheapen the experience for those who come after me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do. I spend far less time and money with Disney than I did back then. I just don’t have any animosity towards today’s guests; not their fault that we ‘old guard’ got a ridiculously better experience. I spend much more time and money in Europe the last ten years; getting what I feel is insane value but doubtlessly doing my part to cheapen the experience for those who come after me.
Fair points

GimpYancIent

I have not stopped going a mere Pandemic was not going to stop me. I do not link physical health and age w some artificial / arbitrary number that says I am supposed to be a certain way at a certain age. (If you want to say I refuse to grow up, you would be right) I found doing Disney in a mask interesting and different, I personally had no issue with the protocols. The over all experience, despite checking off my list of things I wanted to do, not up to the Disney standards that over time I have come to expect. It is not about money because the way I see planning a trip is simple, if I have to ask how much? then I can't afford it. All that said, I am not feeling enthused about another trip until the quality and variety of the offerings gets back to the expected high Disney standards. It is absolutely true that the value of the experience vs the cost has diminished greatly. The term it ain't like the old days is true!

Chi84

Premium Member

When enough people agree with you and stop spending, Disney will notice and adjust. Right now, not enough people agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom