disney 5th and 6th gate?

TREVON 2.0

now that Universal is basically for sale and disney now owns marvel dose anybody think disney would purchase universal??
i know it would probably never happen, but you never know
disney is starting to buy up alto of companies( marvel, parts of dream works)
and if they did they would not have to worry about competition/ or worrying about potter.
i know this sounds crazy and it will probably never happen but just wanted to see what you guys would say:)

( universal/Comcast Corp/Blackstone probably would not even sell to disney)
this is for kicks and giggles:ROFLOL:
please don't be too harsh i am not being that serious about it LOL

If you're not serious, then don't post; get it? :wave:

devoy1701

hopefully they dont sail too far away

:ROFLOL:

I was picturing a very large
Picton%20Castle%20Under%20Full%20Sail.JPG

Oh you guys!!!! You sure do make me laugh! :lol::lol::lol:

Workday is almost half over anyway.... :D

ChrisM

There's no question that Disney would/will research a possible acquisition of Universal properties if they appear to be for sale.

C level executives are wholly consumed with growing their businesses - acquisitions are a convenient way to do so for multiple reasons: enhancing the perceived value (of both the company and themselves, personally) to shareholders, making a big media splash, and providing fresh evidence that they (again, personally) are the biggest of the BSDs.

Would such research bear any fruit? The legal entanglements are extensive and I would assume Universal's theme park assets would only be available if Comcast isn't interested in purchasing them outright. While extremely unlikely, there's no question this would be an extremely bold move and one worthy of scrutiny, not to be dismissed out of hand.

Don't waste your time fretting over possible re-theming or transportation dilemmas; those concerns are minute compared to the larger legal issues, and even more minute compared to whatever the larger executive vision may be that would prompt such a move.

I wouldn't expect any movement on this front. But I'm fairly confident Iger would have a team look into it. I would.

jmick71

Original Poster
If you're not serious, then don't post; get it? :wave:

um i just wanted to share the news that universal was up for sale.
i was serious about universal up for sale, but not with disney buying it (I was saying dont think im crazy for posting this because there is alot of legal issues, but it was def on peoples and disney's mind( being that there is 5 pages on it, and more on other sites) ) , disney would be researching there options.

DaveCummings

If NBC/Universal doesn't buy out the other half of the shares to Universal Orlando and someone else buys it (not Disney) it does give Disney the opportunity to void the contract Marvel had with Universal and gives them an opening to start making Marvel attractions at WDW

flavious27

If NBC/Universal doesn't buy out the other half of the shares to Universal Orlando and someone else buys it (not Disney) it does give Disney the opportunity to void the contract Marvel had with Universal and gives them an opening to start making Marvel attractions at WDW

it could, it matters how the contract was written. also ioa opened before blackstone bought half of the park, if ownership transfers matter then that could have changed the contract.

jmick71

Original Poster
it could, it matters how the contract was written. also ioa opened before blackstone bought half of the park, if ownership transfers matter then that could have changed the contract.

i dont think disney owned marvel before Blackstone bought 1/2 of universal.

Blueliner

it was more than that, JK had ideas that would not transfer properly to a theme park. disney has been in the business of planning and running amusement parks for decades, they usually know what works and what does not work. really disney soften jk up for universal.

Last week, my family visited Universal Orlando for the first time ever. We really liked the theme parks as a whole and Wizarding World of Harry Potter in particular. I was thinking to myself as we tried to shoehorn ourselves into Honeydukes, Zonko's and Dervish and Banges that perhaps the reason Disney could not work out a deal with Rowling was because she insisted on the scale of the area being consistent with her vision. When you wrote that, I thought, "Exactly!"

Is there any independent copmmentary on why Disney and Rowling couldn't make it work? This seems like one of the most plausible reasons.

juniorthomas

Last week, my family visited Universal Orlando for the first time ever. We really liked the theme parks as a whole and Wizarding World of Harry Potter in particular. I was thinking to myself as we tried to shoehorn ourselves into Honeydukes, Zonko's and Dervish and Banges that perhaps the reason Disney could not work out a deal with Rowling was because she insisted on the scale of the area being consistent with her vision. When you wrote that, I thought, "Exactly!"

Is there any independent copmmentary on why Disney and Rowling couldn't make it work? This seems like one of the most plausible reasons.

I'd have to think that Disney would be hesitant to cede control to someone that didn't work for the Company. Investing such a large amount of space and money to a property that wasn't rightly theirs could create problems in the future should the relationship ever sour. It's relatively easy to re-theme RNR, not so easy to re-theme Hogwarts.

flavious27

I'd have to think that Disney would be hesitant to cede control to someone that didn't work for the Company. Investing such a large amount of space and money to a property that wasn't rightly theirs could create problems in the future should the relationship ever sour. It's relatively easy to re-theme RNR, not so easy to re-theme Hogwarts.

the risk of failure and or contract dispute I am sure was on the minds of disney executives at the time, it would take some time and money to retheme a land. Look at the cost to redo PP and the rest of DCA along with toontown.

flavious27

I doubt anyone that still works for disney or is still working will want to deal with the wrath of disney co for leaking information about those meetings. Really the only person that can say anything would be jk, but I think that she would want to not anger disney in case she needs them in the future.

This is why really the only specific information we have heard is that she wanted guests to triple tap on a brick wall to enter the land.

fosse76

I doubt anyone that still works for disney or is still working will want to deal with the wrath of disney co for leaking information about those meetings. Really the only person that can say anything would be jk, but I think that she would want to not anger disney in case she needs them in the future.

This is why really the only specific information we have heard is that she wanted guests to triple tap on a brick wall to enter the land.
There isn't any scenario in the universe in which Rowling would ever need Disney. Adn as for who passed on what, JK Rowling's statements when the WWoHP was first announced pretty much stated that she rejected Disney. There are shops at WDW that are just as small as the ones in WWoHP, so let's not harp on that. Personally, there's no way Disney would even consider buying the Universal parks. Even though it will give them back theme park rights to Marvel, it would be much costlier to deal with all the legal issues and re-themeing of practically every attraction.

flavious27

There isn't any scenario in the universe in which Rowling would ever need Disney. Adn as for who passed on what, JK Rowling's statements when the WWoHP was first announced pretty much stated that she rejected Disney. There are shops at WDW that are just as small as the ones in WWoHP, so let's not harp on that. Personally, there's no way Disney would even consider buying the Universal parks. Even though it will give them back theme park rights to Marvel, it would be much costlier to deal with all the legal issues and re-themeing of practically every attraction.

JK has talked about writing other books that do not involve the potter universe, so there would an opportunity for touchstone or walt disney pictures. The license for wwhp at ioa is up for renewal in 2018, if new management gives her deal that she does not like or they delay or cancel an expansion, the door could have be left open for jk to have discussions with disney again. jk rejected disney because of disagreements in the planning and design of the land. if jk and disney discuss the matter again, the experience with wwhp will facilitate matters.

anyone that is going to buy ioa and universal will have mountains of licensing agreements to go through. there is also the issue of rides that have been cloned at other parks and if they could still be used as is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom