disney 5th and 6th gate?

mp2bill

I was thinking that same thing.
but how would they connect the parks? it would have to be a serious monorail system.
maybe disney can buy the entire orlando area and rename it, disney presents: orlando!
that'd be awsome!

Well, seeing as how Orlando really only exists because of Dinsey, that's not a bad idea! :)

juniorthomas

the risk of failure and or contract dispute I am sure was on the minds of disney executives at the time, it would take some time and money to retheme a land. Look at the cost to redo PP and the rest of DCA along with toontown.

Absolutely. Its a huge financial commitment that would have likely paid off in the short term, but had an iffy long term life. Will people still care about Harry Potter in 5 years? 10 years? Even after the last movie is released? Thats likely something they considered.

juniorthomas

I doubt anyone that still works for disney or is still working will want to deal with the wrath of disney co for leaking information about those meetings. Really the only person that can say anything would be jk, but I think that she would want to not anger disney in case she needs them in the future.

This is why really the only specific information we have heard is that she wanted guests to triple tap on a brick wall to enter the land.

I remember hearing about that. What a logistical nightmare. That reason alone is probably why they kicked that project to the curb.

JK: "Lets have a grand Harry Potter world where thousands of people can experience the majesty of my writing at any given time as long as they are willing to wait for each and every person to go through about a minute long brick movement effect."
Disney: Laughs and walks away.
Universal: "We'll take anything."

flavious27

Absolutely. Its a huge financial commitment that would have likely paid off in the short term, but had an iffy long term life. Will people still care about Harry Potter in 5 years? 10 years? Even after the last movie is released? Thats likely something they considered.

well that will lead to the star wars/tours and indy argument, those rides were still popular before their latest additions to the franchises.

part of argument with wwhp is that universal is not releasing figures with how much more they have made in ticket and merchandise sales from june of 2010 until now nor how much is being sent to WB and JK. If they stated that it cost $200 million to build, they have gotten $300 million in extra ticket sales, $200 million in merchandise, and $150 million in food sales with WB and JK getting 25% of a profit of $250 million after expenses then we can have a better discussion. But we can't get the figures because so much of that information is classified due to trade secrets. Even with whatever bidding is done, any look at the books will have some clause about disclosure.

I would hope that if disney did get involved with jk for a potterland, that they would be able to figure out how much it would cost to change it to another theme and would keep so much of that cost aside each year. I highly doubt that disney would have kept 1+ billion aside just in case dca failed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As has been said before, does it matter?

The area is pristine. The E Ticket is a stunner. Fans will enjoy it in 20 years time. Non fans will enjoy the detail, theming, and a great attraction. Even if they don`t have a clue who is who, like I did.

flavious27

I remember hearing about that. What a logistical nightmare. That reason alone is probably why they kicked that project to the curb.

JK: "Lets have a grand Harry Potter world where thousands of people can experience the majesty of my writing at any given time as long as they are willing to wait for each and every person to go through about a minute long brick movement effect."
Disney: Laughs and walks away.
Universal: "We'll take anything."

Well that last line is so true.

I would not want to be in the room when disney had to respond back to why the triple brick tap would have been a bad idea.
JK: It would be exciting to the children that love my vision.
WDI: We have to let more than 120 children in an hour.
JK: But my vision...
WDI: Your vision does not work
JK: But...
WDI: We know a little something about visions and logistics, have you not been to one of our parks, or any amusement park?
JK: This is a golden opportunity
WDI: Not if we can't get people in to buy your fizzy soda and plastic wands.
JK: Bollocks
WDI: Yeah, we are in America here, you need to use one of our words.

flavious27

The area is pristine. The E Ticket is a stunner. Fans will enjoy it in 20 years time. Non fans will enjoy the detail, theming, and a great attraction. Even if they don`t have a clue who is who, like I did.

You did not read harry potter and you are from the uk, isn't that required reading by order of the queen?

juniorthomas

well that will lead to the star wars/tours and indy argument, those rides were still popular before their latest additions to the franchises.

part of argument with wwhp is that universal is not releasing figures with how much more they have made in ticket and merchandise sales from june of 2010 until now nor how much is being sent to WB and JK. If they stated that it cost $200 million to build, they have gotten $300 million in extra ticket sales, $200 million in merchandise, and $150 million in food sales with WB and JK getting 25% of a profit of $250 million after expenses then we can have a better discussion. But we can't get the figures because so much of that information is classified due to trade secrets. Even with whatever bidding is done, any look at the books will have some clause about disclosure.

I would hope that if disney did get involved with jk for a potterland, that they would be able to figure out how much it would cost to change it to another theme and would keep so much of that cost aside each year. I highly doubt that disney would have kept 1+ billion aside just in case dca failed.

Indeed, the Indy/Star Wars connection is relevant. Of course, in their case they were playing with a ride as opposed to a ginormous segment of the park.

And of course they wont release those numbers. My guess is they went significantly overbudget and wont release anything until the numbers seem more favorable to them. Surprised the shareholders haven't staged a revolt.

juniorthomas

I do think it matters. If they are going to invest heavily in a non-Disney brand, it should have as long of a shelf life as possible.

juniorthomas

Well that last line is so true.

I would not want to be in the room when disney had to respond back to why the triple brick tap would have been a bad idea.
JK: It would be exciting to the children that love my vision.
WDI: We have to let more than 120 children in an hour.
JK: But my vision...
WDI: Your vision does not work
JK: But...
WDI: We know a little something about visions and logistics, have you not been to one of our parks, or any amusement park?
JK: This is a golden opportunity
WDI: Not if we can't get people in to buy your fizzy soda and plastic wands.
JK: Bollocks
WDI: Yeah, we are in America here, you need to use one of our words.

Amazing.

At the end, she probably threw down one of those smoke pellets and had three or four of her burly assistants whisk her out of the room. Of course in the time it takes for her to gather her things, the smoke has cleared and Disney execs are just sitting there watching the awkward show.

Thats JKR in my mind.

flavious27

Indeed, the Indy/Star Wars connection is relevant. Of course, in their case they were playing with a ride as opposed to a ginormous segment of the park.

And of course they wont release those numbers. My guess is they went significantly overbudget and wont release anything until the numbers seem more favorable to them. Surprised the shareholders haven't staged a revolt.

Agreed, I have heard that the cost went up to $350 million but $200 million is the official number.

This link speculates on what the value of the parks are, about 2.3 to 3.1 billion. They also predict that universal had $391 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization for 2010. This is $90 million more than 2007, which that year had about half a million more guests. There is still questions on what got those numbers to that point but it still amounts to $9 more in earnings per guest, that is about the increase in admission prices.

Link

There is this gem:

The agreement with Warner Bros. may terminate if the park isn’t 50-percent owned by one of the partners or if the new owner doesn’t meet “certain financial and reputation tests,” according to the filing.

There are other equity firms that are out there, but they would need to have $2 - 3 billion available and be making serious money. It would also stop any combination deals between a couple of private equity firms.

flavious27

Amazing.

At the end, she probably threw down one of those smoke pellets and had three or four of her burly assistants whisk her out of the room. Of course in the time it takes for her to gather her things, the smoke has cleared and Disney execs are just sitting there watching the awkward show.

Thats JKR in my mind.

So you don't think she tried to use one of those plastic wands and use some spell?

Well whatever happened, I haven't hard her throw any British profanities towards disney. I am sure her lawyers told her not to screw up anything with the largest amusement park company in the world and one of the largest studios. For all we know, WB and JK could have worked out a deal with disney to place a potter land in dlp. I don't think there is anything in her contract that would stop another potterland while wwhp is still in existence. I kind of think it would be the biggest FU to comcast if they did buy out blackstone and the wwhp contract got changed that no expansion is required.

juniorthomas

Agreed, I have heard that the cost went up to $350 million but $200 million is the official number.

This link speculates on what the value of the parks are, about 2.3 to 3.1 billion. They also predict that universal had $391 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization for 2010. This is $90 million more than 2007, which that year had about half a million more guests. There is still questions on what got those numbers to that point but it still amounts to $9 more in earnings per guest, that is about the increase in admission prices.

Link

There is this gem:

The agreement with Warner Bros. may terminate if the park isn’t 50-percent owned by one of the partners or if the new owner doesn’t meet “certain financial and reputation tests,” according to the filing.

There are other equity firms that are out there, but they would need to have $2 - 3 billion available and be making serious money. It would also stop any combination deals between a couple of private equity firms.

Presumably, the only reason someone would invest in the park is to have access to the moneymaker that is WWoHP. No way any investor would skip that opportunity.

juniorthomas

So you don't think she tried to use one of those plastic wands and use some spell?

Well whatever happened, I haven't hard her throw any British profanities towards disney. I am sure her lawyers told her not to screw up anything with the largest amusement park company in the world and one of the largest studios. For all we know, WB and JK could have worked out a deal with disney to place a potter land in dlp. I don't think there is anything in her contract that would stop another potterland while wwhp is still in existence. I kind of think it would be the biggest FU to comcast if they did buy out blackstone and the wwhp contract got changed that no expansion is required.

To be honest, I don't think Comcast cares in the least about the parks. Strange.

flavious27

Presumably, the only reason someone would invest in the park is to have access to the moneymaker that is WWoHP. No way any investor would skip that opportunity.

true, though they have to see what costs will be incurred with licensing and also what the cost of the wwhp will be. I kinda of think that is why WB has that clause written into their contract.

flavious27

To be honest, I don't think Comcast cares in the least about the parks. Strange.

well they are going to if they have to pay billion + to keep the parks the way they are.

comcast really hasn't said much at all about their decisions of what they want to do, outside of CSN saying they are now part of NBC sports.

juniorthomas

true, though they have to see what costs will be incurred with licensing and also what the cost of the wwhp will be. I kinda of think that is why WB has that clause written into their contract.

That makes sense, though I can't see them shutting that park expansion down anytime soon, regardless of the new investors. Maybe if it was 10+ years old or something...

juniorthomas

well they are going to if they have to pay billion + to keep the parks the way they are.

comcast really hasn't said much at all about their decisions of what they want to do, outside of CSN saying they are now part of NBC sports.

Thats why I feel like they don't care. I'm sure they actually do care, but with Parks being so low on their priority sheet, it certainly must be making a lot of people at the Parks uneasy.

IowaHawks7

If Disney were to build or buy any park it would not be universal. Because it would be too far from the property. But i could see them building a whole theme park on the Marvel Universe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom