disney 5th and 6th gate?

flavious27

That makes sense, though I can't see them shutting that park expansion down anytime soon, regardless of the new investors. Maybe if it was 10+ years old or something...

well most of it is 10+ years old. It matters what the out clause is on the contract and how much is going to be spent after the fact by the buyer. WWHP is the most valuable asset at uni, but its terms with other expenses could be a bullet that needs to be bitten.

flavious27

Thats why I feel like they don't care. I'm sure they actually do care, but with Parks being so low on their priority sheet, it certainly must be making a lot of people at the Parks uneasy.

That is an understatement, I am sure everyone at both companies is uneasy right now. The parks have great opportunities for synergy for the various units of comcast, it seems like universal missed that by just placing licensed rides instead.

AlishaSimonLee

I'd have to think that Disney would be hesitant to cede control to someone that didn't work for the Company. Investing such a large amount of space and money to a property that wasn't rightly theirs could create problems in the future should the relationship ever sour. It's relatively easy to re-theme RNR, not so easy to re-theme Hogwarts.

Whats RNR? I think disney does not like using a lot of licensing. Their licensing relationships tend to go sour. Look at Pixar before Disney bought them out and also look at MGM.

flavious27

Whats RNR? I think disney does not like using a lot of licensing. Their licensing relationships tend to go sour. Look at Pixar before Disney bought them out and also look at MGM.

1083732440707524.jpg

redshoesrock

If Disney were to build or buy any park it would not be universal. Because it would be too far from the property. But i could see them building a whole theme park on the Marvel Universe.

Wouldn't be too bad - they could dust off the "Heroes and Villains" park idea with half the park Marvel heroes and the other half Disney villains.

juniorthomas

I think they're still open to licensing, but yes certain things have made them re-think it as a primary option. Its always safer to keep it in the family, so to speak.

flavious27

I think they're still open to licensing, but yes certain things have made them re-think it as a primary option. Its always safer to keep it in the family, so to speak.

Agreed, one of the problems with licensing is that disney wants stability throughout the life of the attraction/contract, look at the craziness they had to deal with concerning mgm.

juniorthomas

Agreed, one of the problems with licensing is that disney wants stability throughout the life of the attraction/contract, look at the craziness they had to deal with concerning mgm.

And to a lesser degree, look at the problems they've had with corporate sponsors. Every few years they have to rebrand a ride theme based on the addition or subtraction of a sponsor. I'm sure the somewhat fickle nature of anything similar to that leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

redshoesrock

So potterland and Dr. Seuss would be where the villains would be at? I won't look too deeply into that.

No, Disney would build a Marvel Heroes/Disney Villains park on Disney property. Just freethinking; there's too much that would have to happen before something like that would occur.

flavious27

And to a lesser degree, look at the problems they've had with corporate sponsors. Every few years they have to rebrand a ride theme based on the addition or subtraction of a sponsor. I'm sure the somewhat fickle nature of anything similar to that leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

The sponsor thing is always a wrinkle with things but it isn't as bad as problems with the licensing. Really the biggest problem with past sponsorship is whatever relationship they had with mcdonalds.

I think that they choose their sponsors wisely so they are not having to change signs and color schemes every year.

juniorthomas

The sponsor thing is always a wrinkle with things but it isn't as bad as problems with the licensing. Really the biggest problem with past sponsorship is whatever relationship they had with mcdonalds.

I think that they choose their sponsors wisely so they are not having to change signs and color schemes every year.

I remember the Siemens thing taking a little bit of time.

flavious27

Talk about a thread bump....

Yeah, I was wondering what was being posted here when I got the notification in my in-box.

I think that everyone would agree that whenever a 5th gate is built, it will be the last major park that would be built in wdw. That is unless disney finds a way to expand out northwest of MK and buyout reedy and huckleberry lakes, along with more of the land west of the basins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom