Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

WDWFREAK53

See now that's something I don't want to participate in. I just want to go on vacation and not worrying about them watching where I go. I want some privacy and I don't want to be targeted for extra advertising if that is what they are aiming for. My long term issue with this is that this is a start of tracking wherever you go. How would you like to have a chip installed on you and when you go onto a bus you have specific advertising targeted towards you. Sorry I am not interested in this. We were fooling around with this in my old company. HR wanted to track how long some people would be in the bathroom or out of the office on their cell phones. Good thing at the time the cost was too high. This certainly opens up a can of worms in my opinion.

Ever been to Vegas? They are watching you wherever you go.

If you aren't interested in this, you probably shouldn't go to a privately owned tourist destination that thrives on the behaviors of its guests. Like it or not...it's in the best interest of the company and its going to happen.

A nice secluded beach is more what you're looking for.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster

Indeed, Vegas has more cameras per square foot than many malls, sports arenas and even airports. They watch EVERYONE and EVERYTHING!

Here's a good article on Vegas and their cameras and security, as well as the rest of the entertainment industry: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102101522.html
As it turns out, what happens in Vegas, will also be happening near you soon, at least as far as security and monitoring go.

PeoplemoverTTA

As it's been mentioned b4, the main reason I'm against this is that I HATE to wear anything on my wrist. Hate it. During the middle of the summer on a nice 97 degree day I do not want to wear anything more than I have to. If I was able to keep it in my pocket then that migh sway me into being more open minded with this.

Yeah, I see both sides of this debate, but the biggest issue for me is wearing something on my wrist (lame, I know). I can't wear any type of bracelet in the summer, or my wrist breaks out in a terrible rash. The curse of sensitive skin! Hopefully clipping it to your pocket or bag will suffice (but then the risk of losing it seems pretty high).

Also, not to be gross, but will guests have the option of taking it off, or is it stuck on you for the length of your trip? The idea of wearing that thing for a week or longer in the parks, in the shower, in bed...sounds really disgusting :eek:

Avenger117

I see there seems to be some fear over security. I'm sure they will do what they can but at this point it is really difficult to eliminate cyber crimes. I protect myself as much as I can but I don't lose sleep over it. You have to believe that Disney will take security very seriously, because when companies are hacked they get very bad press.

As for the complaints that its designed to seperate you from your money... Well duh, thats what they are in business to do. But you decide what you do with your money. They can provide all kinds of experiences, products, etc, but you have to be a responsible adult and spend your money wisely. Disney has yet to hold a gun to someone and say "give me your wallet".

stlbobby

Yeah, I see both sides of this debate, but the biggest issue for me is wearing something on my wrist (lame, I know). I can't wear any type of bracelet in the summer, or my wrist breaks out in a terrible rash. The curse of sensitive skin! Hopefully clipping it to your pocket or bag will suffice (but then the risk of losing it seems pretty high).

Also, not to be gross, but will guests have the option of taking it off, or is it stuck on you for the length of your trip? The idea of wearing that thing for a week or longer in the parks, in the shower, in bed...sounds really disgusting :eek:

I think it is safe to assume if you get the wristband then you will be required to wear it all week. If you opt out they will have something available, but it will be so inconvenient eventually everyone will go for the wristband. I have no evidence of this, but if part of the reasoning is to prevent fraud it seems most likely.

I don't understand the objection to wristbands. They are pretty standard at events and have been for decades. This is just a technological advance on the wristband you get at a bar or concert.

bgraham34

If you aren't interested in this, you probably shouldn't go to a privately owned tourist destination that thrives on the behaviors of its guests. Like it or not...it's in the best interest of the company and its going to happen.

A nice secluded beach is more what you're looking for.

No I have not been to vegas but you are comparing cameras vs a system that can see wherever you go without having to literally watch where you go. You are completely missing the point of a system like this. Its baby steps, how would you feel if you were tracked all day everyday even in your own home. How long you spend in the bathroom or how long you spend at the mall. Once people give up their rights to allow this in a theme park, your place of work or even the government may start doing the same thing. I for one dont want to be tracked everywhere i go.

DisneyJoe

No I have not been to vegas but you are comparing cameras vs a system that can see wherever you go without having to literally watch where you go. You are completely missing the point of a system like this. Its baby steps, how would you feel if you were tracked all day everyday even in your own home. How long you spend in the bathroom or how long you spend at the mall. Once people give up their rights to allow this in a theme park, your place of work or even the government may start doing the same thing. I for one dont want to be tracked everywhere i go.

Your cell phone provider can already track you today....and many places of work do too with rfid in employee id cards.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I appreciate that the idea of being tracked bothers you, but I need to correct one misconception... You have no "right" not to be tracked.

If you are in a public place, you are making yourself available to be tracked and there are no legal impediments to tracking you. Cameras combined with facial-recognition software track you in many airports and bus terminals without you needing to carry an RFID chip [in some instances, the software monitors for tell-tale traits that might indicate you're up to no good]. In Vegas this type of system is ubiquitous. You cell phone is constantly tracked by your provider. There are cookies and such that track your on-line activities and target focused advertising to you. Whenever you fly anywhere in the world, your information is shared with governments of countries you fly into, out of and over.

The only way to not be tracked is to entirely go "off the grid" and live in a cave where airborne and satellite heat sensors will not detect you.

In the grand scheme of things, Disney tracking what you do in their parks is truly inconsequential.

djlaosc

I don't understand the objection to wristbands. They are pretty standard at events and have been for decades. This is just a technological advance on the wristband you get at a bar or concert.

The objection seems to mostly be about length of time. If you go to a bar/concert - the maximum you would need to wear the band for is a few hours. If you have to constantly wear this band, you could be made to wear it for weeks (lots of people from the UK go for 2-3+weeks), in the shower, in the pool, in bed (which you wouldn't have to wear if you're going to a bar/concert)

stlbobby

The objection seems to mostly be about length of time. If you go to a bar/concert - the maximum you would need to wear the band for is a few hours. If you have to constantly wear this band, you could be made to wear it for weeks (lots of people from the UK go for 2-3+weeks), in the shower, in the pool, in bed (which you wouldn't have to wear if you're going to a bar/concert)

There are dozens of resorts that make you wear this kind of thing, without as much technology, for a length of stay. I believe the Wolf Lodge franchise is already doing this and people are loving it: http://www.pdcorp.com/en-us/rfid-ent/case-study-great-wolf.html
http://11thscreen.com/2011/04/how-one-place-is-using-rfid-for-utility-and-experience-pt-1/

If you are in a hospital you'll wear a wrist band for possibly months at a time.

I'm not a jewelry guy. I don't even wear a wedding ring, but I do wear a watch 24-7, and this just doesn't bother me. If I get one of these on my next trip I probably won't take it off for a week or two after I get back, just like I keep the room key in my wallet for a few weeks right now.

bhg469

If anyone gets ahold of one of these I would be curious to see if any data can be read off of it with a cell phone with an NFC reader built in. There are a few out now and I don't doubt it would just kick out nonsensical numbers but it may give you a message.

jayhawkmickey

I've heard these things will download all your personal info like your bank account #s, social security number and your latest prostrate exam results. They have cameras everywhere watching you and special security dressed as characters in every corner of the park. They moved Marie to the front of the park because she has a hi-def digital camera in her head. I'd advise all of you who have any reservations about this program to be safe and stay home. Don't let big brother into your vacation. Oh and thanks, cause I'll be there with my wristband enjoying talking with Mickey and having Pooh call out my name without any of you clogging up my lines and blocking my views of the parades! Bring on the kool aid, it tastes sweet!

WDWFREAK53

Do you really think that "big brother" can't track you down right now?

WDW1974

If you carry a cell phone, it's practically already happening, or at least available. Also, if you use the Internet, (which by posting here, you do), you are being tracked by your Internet Service Provider, plus the servers/sites you visit, as well as your employer, if at work as well and possibly the NSA and/or FBI. Also, your bank, credit card provider tracks what you do and where you spend your money, and depending on what you buy, the FBI might also be watching. Depending on where you drive your car, you can be tracked as well. Also, most shopping malls, large retail stores, airports, etc. are watching you.
The point here is, it's inescapable and already happening! Whether you choose to wear/use this device that Disney is going to offer or not, you will still be tracked/monitored in some way or another.

And do you think this is a good thing? Do you think we should all just give up our right to privacy in any/all situations from the idiots who run the TSA to the criminals who run my banks to the morons who run WDW?

Seriously?

Because I'm tired of the sheep attempting to turn me into one ....

DisneyJoe

You have no right to privacy in a public place.

If i recall correctly, on the back of Disney tickets, there are legal statements stating this.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
And do you think this is a good thing? Do you think we should all just give up our right to privacy in any/all situations from the idiots who run the TSA to the criminals who run my banks to the morons who run WDW?

Seriously?

No, I don't necessarily think its a good thing. It has some advantages, but mostly for the owner of the data, not the individual. I'm especially concerned about it in the hands of ANY government, but in the hands of Disney? I don't know yet. As I pointed out before, I don't see how this is dangerous, as long as Disney takes the necessary steps to safeguard it. I guess the real danger is hackers and would-be thieves who would try and steal it for their own malicious activity.

I recognize that we live in a very different society than say 10 years ago. It's much more connected, and will likely become even more so in the coming years. I fear we are headed into a future that is very data driven by super-smart analytical computers reviewing huge amounts of data and advising businesses and governments. I hate to use the Star Trek phrase, "resistance is futile", but I really think it is. The amount of data that exists on everyone already is pretty big and I don't see that decreasing nor do I see a way to stop it.

IF Disney wants to allay people's fears, they could offer an opt-out option when you check-in and before they give you the band. This would essentially minimize the amount of data they have and keep of you until you leave the resort.

Florida_is_hot

You have no right to privacy in a public place.

If i recall correctly, on the back of Disney tickets, there are legal statements stating this.

You know if "1984" ever comes true ..... so long private places like Disney.
I do no wear a tin foil hat or put a bag over my head but I live in a free country, my Dad and Grandfather fought for my country ..... hate to see it go.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thought this was interestin...

texas-school-district-rep_n_1949415.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...9415.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom