Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is a chart showing the deficit of D+ by quarter....

1683837113568.png

CaptainAmerica

I thought the writing on She-Hulk was lacking, but the show was a perfect representation of the character. If you have an issue with the character, its one that goes back more then 40 years.

How is Turning Red (or Soul, or Encanto) fundamentally different then Frozen or even PatF?What distinguishes the former group of films other then the fact that they came out AFTER a screeching culture-war industry sprang up to pick out targets for hate campaigns? If PatF or Frozen came out today, I feel very confident you'd reject them.
I do reject Frozen, first of all. Frozen is horrendous and if I had cosmic power over The Walt Disney Company the first person to go would be Jennifer Lee. Know what happens in Frozen? Literally nothing.

Soul and Encanto are excellent. Not as good as Coco, and I think Soul was always a dubious business proposition because it was so grown-up, but those are great movies. Nice try though.

You know what else was excellent? Ms. Marvel. A female-led, Pakistani-American superhero show aimed primarily at teenage girls. It was the best part of Marvel Phase 4, and I'm including No Way Home in that.

So no, I'm not following the screeching "culture-war industry." I don't object to diverse content, I object to bad content. Turning Red and Strange World don't suck because they're diverse, they suck because they were made by incompetent filmmakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

TalkingHead

Oh, an added note on Zaslav - his first love is reality TV (no pesky creatives) and his favorite franchise, the one he's most eager to continue to build into a powerhouse "universe," is the execrable 90 Day Fiance. Iger is Disney in comparison.

PS: He's remaking the Harry Potter movies! Just straight remakes! His awfulness is bottomless.
How is remaking Potter any worse than what Iger has done remaking every single animated feature for the last ten years? You really need to stop getting all your thoughts from social media entertainment accounts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kareem Daniel was well positioned for this, until Iger fired him.
Well chapek was the most unqualified corporate ceo maybe in history not appointed by his parents…

So all his choices are automatically void

It wouldn’t matter if they were green and shot fireworks and cotton candy out of their butts

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
How are they reducing that deficit ?
  • Raising cost of subscriptions.
  • New ad-supported tier (which makes more money per sub than the premium ad-free tier).
  • Stop spending on a deluge of new content indiscriminately and focus on content that will bring in and hold onto sub.
    • This means a lot of leaning on already popular IP
    • This also means layoffs of workers related to the streamers.
  • Removing content that isn't bringing in or holding on to subs, or, has legacy licensing costs.
    • Some of which will be licensed to other distributors, or put on their TV channels
  • Eventually combining Hulu with D+ completely to make both more attractive.
  • Relying on tentpole films in the theaters to cover their costs, then goes to D+ as a value for that service
    • [I'm guessing here that Disney's analytics found that people get D+ mostly for the big movies and not for all the middling direct-to-streaming series... with a few exceptions such as with Marvel and Star Wars]
  • Pulling out of the India market whose average sub rate is 60 cents per month and don't seem interested in D+ if it isn't carrying the expensive Cricket League

Trauma

Can Oprah do it ?

She knows Hollywood and could really connect with the fans in a way Iger could only dream of.

Trauma

• Raising cost of subscriptions.
  • New ad-supported tier (which makes more money per sub than the premium ad-free tier).
  • Stop spending on a deluge of new content indiscriminately and focus on content that will bring in and hold onto sub.
    • This means a lot of leaning on already popular IP
    • This also means layoffs of workers related to the streamers.
  • Removing content that isn't bringing in or holding on to subs, or, has legacy licensing costs.
    • Some of which will be licensed to other distributors, or put on their TV channels
  • Eventually combining Hulu with D+ completely to make both more attractive.
  • Relying on tentpole films in the theaters to cover their costs, then goes to D+ as a value for that service
    • [I'm guessing here that Disney's analytics found that people get D+ mostly for the big movies and not for all the middling direct-to-streaming series... with a few exceptions such as with Marvel and Star Wars]
  • Pulling out of the India market whose average sub rate is 60 cents per month and don't seem interested in D+ if it isn't carrying the expensive Cricket League
So two big pillars there are raising costs and reducing content.

Are they expecting to be able to do both of these at once without shedding subs?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So two big pillars there are raising costs and reducing content.

Are they expecting to be able to do both of these at once without shedding subs?
Netflix just did it. And the other streamers are following suit.

If all 'core' D+ users were paying Netflix fees, it would be profitable. And that's what Disney is aiming for. Those who don't want to pay that high of a premium will drop down to ad-supported at a cheaper price, but, because of ads, brings in more income than the premium subs.

Casper Gutman

Making the argument you suggest would be grossly over-simplified and misleading, ignoring or downplaying a huge network of interconnected political, economic, and technological changes. It ALWAYS feels good to try and embody confusing and often negative social changes in the person of one individual we can all hate, but its never productive. Iger is a bad CEO. Zaslav is much worse. Both are manifestations of larger forces.

I honestly did NOT see "you're a fanboy for not wanting someone like Zaslav as the CEO of Disney" coming.

PS: And yes. remaking a series of films that ended 12 years ago and very faithfully (and at great length) adapted the original book series is even more creatively bankrupt then remaking 35-year-old animated classics in a new medium (which I loathe anyway).

Trauma

Netflix just did it. And the other streamers are following suit.

If all 'core' D+ users were paying Netflix fees, it would be profitable. And that's what Disney is aiming for. Those who don't want to pay that high of a premium will drop down to ad-supported at a cheaper price, but, because of ads, brings in more income than the premium subs.
Netflix has a greater diversity of content. When I think D+ I think the animated movies, Star Wars, Marvel.

I know you will argue that those properties are all doing well but let’s just say they start to slip.

Do you think this plan will still work ?

Trauma

Yes, I'm famous as a pixie-dusted Disney "fanboy." Awesome catch.

Making the argument you suggest would be grossly over-simplified and misleading, ignoring or downplaying a huge network of interconnected political, economic, and technological changes. It ALWAYS feels good to try and embody confusing and often negative social changes in the person of one individual we can all hate, but its never productive. Iger is a bad CEO. Zaslav is much worse. Both are manifestations of larger forces.

I honestly did NOT see "you're a fanboy for not wanting someone like Zaslav as the CEO of Disney" coming.
Disney needs a leader tomorrow, Iger has died.

Who is your selection?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom