Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

Sir_Cliff

I think I’ve adequately established my “guy who complains about Disney” status, but I have to ask all the posters gloating about the stock falling - what do you think happens if Disney’s stock totally crashes? Do you think that’s a recipe for more investment in the parks? For more spending that doesn’t show an immediate ROI? For more adventurous filmmaking? Or is schadenfreude now our only goal?

The entire streaming saga remains a pretty good argument for why it’s unwise to let a collection of tremendously arrogant, mercurial, easily-panicked herd animals determine the fate of the global economy.
THANK YOU!!!

I always read people whooping and hollering at the share price going down in these threads and wonder what exactly they think will be the result. That they're going to shrink the company back down to having the parks as their main focus, reduce ticket prices, increase hours, and pour money into building fancy new e-tickets?

It seems for a lot of people schadenfreude is the only goal, and for some reason seeing Iger suffer would be worth burning down the entire company for a lot of people.

Trauma

THANK YOU!!!

I always read people whooping and hollering at the share price going down in these threads and wonder what exactly they think will be the result. That they're going to shrink the company back down to having the parks as their main focus, reduce ticket prices, increase hours, and pour money into building fancy new e-tickets?

It seems for a lot of people schadenfreude is the only goal, and for some reason seeing Iger suffer would be worth burning down the entire company for a lot of people.
Yes as long as Iger is in charge I would prefer to see it burn to the ground.

Casper Gutman

THANK YOU!!!

People tend to have an unshakeable sense that what is happening now is "normal," and things will never not be "normal," and its inconceivable that things could get worse very suddenly.

Call it "Disney Exceptionalism."

In the Parks
No
So let it be written…so let it be done
🤣🤣🤣 YES! I am so here for Ten Commandments references!
1683833476513.png

Casper Gutman

Yes as long as Iger is in charge I would prefer to see it burn to the ground.
Someone like Iger will ALWAYS be in charge. He's a manifestation of the way Hollywood in particular and American business in general has changed since the 80s. Eisner, for all his faults, came out of an earlier era and an earlier ethos. You'd have to shift huge amounts of sedimented cultural, financial, and political thought to get anyone who wasn't just another Iger.

Sir_Cliff

People tend to have an unshakeable sense that what is happening now is "normal," and things will never not be "normal," and its inconceivable that things could get worse very suddenly.

Call it "Disney Exceptionalism."
Completely agree. There's nothing to say the country couldn't be bled dry and stripped for parts, with Wall Street cheering the process along. I mean, nothing lasts forever.

At any rate, I hope Disney is able to ignore these erratic swings back and forth around Disney+ numbers and figure out a decent strategy for making money off the thing.

Slpy3270

Completely agree. There's nothing to say the country couldn't be bled dry and stripped for parts, with Wall Street cheering the process along. I mean, nothing lasts forever.

At any rate, I hope Disney is able to ignore these erratic swings back and forth around Disney+ numbers and figure out a decent strategy for making money off the thing.

They have about a year to do that, which isn't very long. And that assumes Peltz or some other degenerate vulture doesn't try to pull off a coup between now and then.

Casper Gutman

I really hope you meant to write "company" and it came out "country," because that would be such a beautiful, truthful error.

Trauma

Someone like Iger will ALWAYS be in charge. He's a manifestation of the way Hollywood in particular and American business in general has changed since the 80s. Eisner, for all his faults, came out of an earlier era and an earlier ethos. You'd have to shift huge amounts of sedimented cultural, financial, and political thought to get anyone who wasn't just another Iger.
Well then they won’t be get my families $$$ anymore.

No biggie we only spent around 15k a year.

BlakeW39

Someone like Iger will ALWAYS be in charge.

If this were true— which I don't believe, being that since Hollywood has changed since the 80s it should therefore follow that it will continue to do so —then I really couldn't care less to see Disney invest further in their businesses. Someone like Iger is incapable, say it with me incapable, of investing properly or creating things with sufficient artistic merit. I simply do not care to see them find new ways to pump out swill.

Sir_Cliff

This is the thing: who do people think is going to take over if Iger is driven out? It will be another version of Iger, who could just as easily be worse than better. We just had a worse one.

Like you, I'm very critical of many of the decisions of Disney management in recent years. I'm not stupid enough, however, to think that Wall Street investors feverishly trading shares back and forth are my allies in undoing those decisions rather than being the principle reason many of them happened in the first place.

TalkingHead

If this were true— which I don't believe, being that since Hollywood has changed since the 80s it should therefore follow that it will continue to do so —then I really couldn't care less to see Disney invest further in their businesses. Someone like Iger is incapable, say it with me incapable, of investing properly or creating things with sufficient artistic merit. I simply do not care to see them find new ways to pump out swill.
Bolded for emphasis.

Casper Gutman

I've got real bad news for you about the top executives at every single major American corporation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom