Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

MagicHappens1971

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. She would need a team behind her to fill in some gaps, but I think she could be an excellent leader.
I don't agree with you on much, but I would also agree that she would be an excellent leader. While on the same hand, I don't think she can run the day-to-day operations of a company so large and diverse. Just my opinion.

MagicHappens1971

I do reject Frozen, first of all. Frozen is horrendous and if I had cosmic power over The Walt Disney Company the first person to go would be Jennifer Lee. Know what happens in Frozen? Literally nothing.
I'll preface by saying that I am a Frozen fan, but I like Jennifer Lee and am just curious why you feel that way?
You know what else was excellent? Ms. Marvel. A female-led, Pakistani-American superhero show aimed primarily at teenage girls. It was the best part of Marvel Phase 4, and I'm including No Way Home in that.
I also think Ms. Marvel was one of the best Phase 4 projects.
So no, I'm not following the screeching "culture-war industry." I don't object to diverse content, I object to content. Turning Red and Strange World don't suck because they're diverse, they suck because they were made by incompetent filmmakers.
I'm so glad you acknowledged this. It was about time someone did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy_UK

Pulling out of the India market whose average sub rate is 60 cents per month and don't seem interested in D+ if it isn't carrying the expensive Cricket League
Are they actually planning to pull out of India (ooh matron) altogether or just not invest over $3 billion for Cricket rights that doesn’t bring any returns?

Trauma

I don't agree with you on much, but I would also agree that she would be an excellent leader. While on the same hand, I don't think she can run the day-to-day operations of a company so large and diverse. Just my opinion.
I wouldn’t discount her ability. I understand what your saying but that’s why she would need a team behind her.

I don’t know maybe I am drunk as one poster suggested ( although I don’t drink ) but I kind of like the idea.

doctornick

How are they reducing that deficit ?

Are you asking "why is the deficit becoming smaller?" or "how are they going to overcome the money already lost on D+?"

If it's the former, the answer is simple: continue to raise prices. If they can do another price hike (already announced for later this year) and keep western subscriptions steady that should be close to getting breakeven or even making a profit. Introducing a commercial tier in Europe will also bring in additional revenue. And, on that note, if price hikes inspire people to go from ad free to the ad tier, it actually is better for the company as they make more money from the ad tier subscribers.

As for the latter, the answer is simply that they need to start making a profit first, then over time it would make up for the invested money (in theory).

Netflix has been profitable lately and they are a higher cost service than D+ and just getting to the same sub rates at Netflix would get D+ into the black as well.

TP2000

Click on the “5Y”’tab and get the fire extinguisher

If you had invested $1,000 in DIS back in May, 2018, you'd have $890 today! 🤔

Buy Bonds!.jpg

Trauma

Are you asking "why is the deficit becoming smaller?" or "how are they going to overcome the money already lost on D+?"

If it's the former, the answer is simple: continue to raise prices. If they can do another price hike (already announced for later this year) and keep western subscriptions steady that should be close to getting breakeven or even making a profit. Introducing a commercial tier in Europe will also bring in additional revenue. And, on that note, if price hikes inspire people to go from ad free to the ad tier, it actually is better for the company as they make more money from the ad tier subscribers.

As for the latter, the answer is simply that they need to start making a profit first, then over time it would make up for the invested money (in theory).

Netflix has been profitable lately and they are a higher cost service than D+ and just getting to the same sub rates at Netflix would get D+ into the black as well.
Yes fine but Netflix is not D+.

I find of the diversity of content to be much narrower on D+.

Doesn’t that have some effect on pricing power ?

For example I get D+ for “free” since I have Hulu.

If I had to pay for it separately I would cancel since I think it’s already overpriced.

Sure I’m just one data point, but I can’t be the only one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you had invested $1,000 in DIS back in May, 2018, you'd have $890 today! 🤔

View attachment 715736
Ouch…things aren’t good at bobs beach house today

Is this the worst Disney stock day in history when there was NOT a full market free fall?

Gotta be up there.

Remember when the rich guys dropped the fake Proxy fight when Bob promised the dividend?
…it ain’t coming back….

doctornick

Yes fine but Netflix is not D+.

I find of the diversity of content to be much narrower on D+.

Well, that is probably why they are going to merge Hulu into D+ (and ESPN+ too maybe, I'm not clear on that) in the next year to create a service more consistent with Netflix and Prime, etc but with the Disney branding. And with a price that will be comparable to those services.

Casper Gutman

Yeah…it could be lost in translation…but he’s got you there based on perception.

And I don’t think anyone frequenting here is ALWAYS “something”

We have varied opinions.

For instance: I often flame the Disney Star Wars debaucle…but even though I acknowledge they specifically tried to diversify the players to break the old Cold War Caucasian model of the originals…cause they did…I didn’t reject them because they tried to do that…

I rejected them because they completely never got the property they bought, spent $500 million making AWFUL excuses of movies with bland to worse characters…and damaged something that everyone on the planet other than George Lucas and Dave filoni admitted was damaged.

But I don’t hate the people or claim offense for trying something different…just don’t screw up.
Yup. And while I find your intense loathing of Disney Star Wars (and Phase 4 MCU) over the top and disagree with a lot of it, I've never gotten the impression there's anything political about it (even though there is to much SW criticism). You're your own special kind of nuts, and that's a compliment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup. And while I find your intense loathing of Disney Star Wars (and Phase 4 MCU) over the top and disagree with a lot of it, I've never gotten the impression there's anything political about it (even though there is to much SW criticism). You're your own special kind of nuts, and that's a compliment.
I’m macadamias…

And Disney traded 4 trucks full of my unique lineage for the land they built Aulani on

And which one was phase 4 again?
I can’t tell if I hate that one or not?

Trauma

I'd love to respond with the three letter acronym this deserves, but the filter won't let me. So let me just roll my eyes :rolleyes: and click the "report" button.
Wow another one. What is so freaking wrong about wanting the next CEO to be black.

I think he or she can bring a unique perspective to the company.

Sorry this offends you and everyone else here so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom