Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

ctrlaltdel

While news outlets have sometimes confused this, I believe the $27.5 billion floor applies to the value of Hulu. Comcast's interest is about 1/3, so the put/call floor is around $9 billion. If Hulu's fair value is greater than $27.5 billion at the exercise date, then the purchase price would be greater than $9 billion.
You are absolutely right. Still think $9b is too rich for disney's blood at this point. I would still offer to sell to Comcast to get some cash, along with continuing the FX partnership in a listening deal. I think comcast would go for it considering peacock has been a massive flop.

kingdead

On the assumption that Disney will buy the remaining stake in Hulu, Bob says he is suggesting that isn't necessarily the case.
If Disney sells Hulu, what happens to all the content that plays on Hulu in the US but on Disney+ everywhere else? Does it get moved over to an expanded Disney+ app? Does it go to Comcast? Does it disappear?

I did sympathize with Chapek when he said that sometimes adults want to watch something other than cartoons. Everyone reacted like he was going to create a Cannibal Holocaust tile. Maybe Iger can solve that problem but who knows.

el_super

Many on this board love him

I have literally been listening to the analysts all morning saying he has brought the confidence back, and they all expect that he will stay longer than the two years. Sure you can have an opinion on the company's creative output under him, but there's nothing to debate when it comes to his success as CEO.

kingdead

Would anyone be willing to explain how they’ve said they plan to make Disney+ profitable? I honestly am having trouble grasping how they plan to spend less on it and retain subscribers at the same time.
Cheaper content. If I had to guess, less Marvel, less Star Wars outside of Mandalorian. Maybe pivot those franchises to animation instead of spending tons of cash on actors and CGI. Develop or buy more reality programming instead of scripted content. Maybe reboot some of the old Disney Channel kids' program premises (without Dan Schneider).

Without Hulu, the reason to buy Disney+ is if you have kids. I think they'll lean into that and try to recreate the old Disney Channel audience that used to pay the premium cable subscription.

fgmnt

You are absolutely right. Still think $9b is too rich for disney's blood at this point. I would still offer to sell to Comcast to get some cash, along with continuing the FX partnership in a listening deal. I think comcast would go for it considering peacock has been a massive flop.
There are parts of Hulu that I don't think Disney wants to be in the business of, like being a linear tv replacement, but I don't know if there are contractual guarantees to host a certain amount of content owned by Disney (+ what was acquired of 21st Century Fox) that keep that content on there on a timeline outside of the deadline to buyout Comcast. I'd have to assume that's the case.

Drdcm

Cheaper content. If I had to guess, less Marvel, less Star Wars outside of Mandalorian. Maybe pivot those franchises to animation instead of spending tons of cash on actors and CGI. Develop or buy more reality programming instead of scripted content. Maybe reboot some of the old Disney Channel kids' program premises (without Dan Schneider).

Without Hulu, the reason to buy Disney+ is if you have kids. I think they'll lean into that and try to recreate the old Disney Channel audience that used to pay the premium cable subscription.
Thank you

CaptainAmerica

No, the opposite of that.

The focus will be on reducing the volume of content. They were too focused on building up a huge library of stuff and they were spending a fortune on low-quality junk that nobody watches.

They want less content, but want the content they do produce to be high-quality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Many on this board love him
They love their memories of when they went on vacation to a Disney spot while he was there and their sense of personal accomplishment as they did it. So they celebrate it and him by proxy.

Iger was not a bad ceo…but he also did no better than his predecessor as far future vision.
Let’s be honest: much worse. Bought/had a bunch of Shiny toys and is leaving with many diminished moving forward

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have literally been listening to the analysts all morning saying he has brought the confidence back, and they all expect that he will stay longer than the two years. Sure you can have an opinion on the company's creative output under him, but there's nothing to debate when it comes to his success as CEO.
Right on queue…

Tha Realest

The focus will be on reducing the volume of content. They were too focused on building up a huge library of stuff and they were spending a fortune on low-quality junk that nobody watches.

They want less content, but want the content they do produce to be high-quality.
Mandoverse will continue
Crucial MCU series will continue
Existing, completed animation projects should/may be finished or aired, though they could go the WB/HBO Max route
No Willow season 2
No National Treasure season 2
No She-Hulk season 2
No Ms Marvel season 2

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yep…that’s the way to get more people to sit through ads and pay more for internet tv…

Less stuff

Drdcm

Mandoverse will continue
Crucial MCU series will continue
Existing, completed animation projects should/may be finished or aired, though they could go the WB/HBO Max route
No Willow season 2
No National Treasure season 2
No She-Hulk season 2
No Ms Marvel season 2
If they make less, I’ll just subscribe less I guess. I can always subscribe for one month a year and watch the two new shows that are good…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom