Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

CaptainAmerica

On the assumption that Disney will buy the remaining stake in Hulu, Bob says he is suggesting that isn't necessarily the case.
200w.gif

CaptainAmerica

Revenues up in parks ONLY because of line fees - something that is becoming universally detested by diehards and regular casuals. So what would it be if they didn’t have paid fastpsss? That’s not “growth” at all and it’s not sustainable
That's just false man. Parks was up because of volume first, and pricing second. G+ and ILL fall under pricing, not volume.

Magenta Panther

Refers to Lightyear and Strange World as "creative misses."
Creative misses that were pushed by a certain faction within the Disney company. Hopefully, that faction has lost a lot of clout due to those creative misses...

Anyway, I won't believe that anything in the parks will improve until the damn yeti is fixed. That AA is a symbol of the cynicism, greed and sloppiness that has besmirched the Disney company's legacy of quality. If Iger doesn't think fixing it is important, then good luck to him with fixing anything else.

ctrlaltdel

On the assumption that Disney will buy the remaining stake in Hulu, Bob says he is suggesting that isn't necessarily the case.
Selling Hulu makes a lot of sense. They are contractually obligated to buy Comcast's staek in Hulu for at least $27.5b in 2024 if they don't sell it off. That's insane.

My guess is they sell Comcast their Hulu stake for far less than that. Comcast gets a brand-name streamer they can fold Peacock into, and Disney has a place to license their more adult content to to improve cash flow (while moving some stuff over to D+).

ctrlaltdel

Yeah they lost less than expected. They held up pretty well in the face of (needed) price increases. Biggest issue long-term for D+ is still the content spend needed to maintain the service. Happy they are re-focusing on theatrical. It will all make its way to D+ in due time anyways.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
They are contractually obligated to buy Comcast's staek in Hulu for at least $27.5b in 2024 if they don't sell it off. That's insane.
While news outlets have sometimes confused this, I believe the $27.5 billion floor applies to the value of Hulu. Comcast's interest is about 1/3, so the put/call floor is around $9 billion. If Hulu's fair value is greater than $27.5 billion at the exercise date, then the purchase price would be greater than $9 billion.

NotCalledBob

Do you know what I thought was an important take away from the call?

They need a new money shot of the front of Burbank.

Someone needs to take an executive decision on whether the drapes need to be open or closed for the picture.

If I am going to stare at an image for an hour it needs to look good.

Special mention for the owner of the office under Sneezy's right foot that tried to close his (or her) drapes and got them stuck on a lamp, and then abandoned them in that artistic arrangement. (That's the kind of creativity we know and love from Burbank).

There is also someone hiding behind one of the pillars on the right hand side. I can see your hands and jacket. Hide better or show yourself. Chapek in a false moustache and trench coat?

Or is the photo a deliberate and clever metaphor for the general state of the company perhaps?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom