Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

ctrlaltdel

Not sure it’s a great idea to further cut cap ex at the parks…I thought he was gonna invest.
Mostly a timing issue. It sounds like they are keeping a similar level of investment for the fiscal year. I would say if they keep investing a similar amount for what they've done at the domestic parks the past 5 years that's pretty solid.

SteamboatJoe

Not sure they can do much with that as selling off RSNs was part of the Fox deal.
True from what I know but it sounds like even the existence of the RSNs themselves could be in trouble. Teams are worried they are going to miss out on massive amounts of revenue.

TP2000

It's possible that they're all layoffs, but Bob chose his words carefully and by the way he phrases it, it's not NECESSARILY all layoffs.

It's 7,000 jobs that currently exist, that will soon cease to exist.

A few of them may be random open positions in random departments, an open Project Manager gig in Engineering, or a Communications Manager in Public Affairs who quit last month, or what have you.

But the vast majority of these 7,000 layoffs will be people currently earning a paycheck from Disney in February who will no longer be earning a paycheck from Disney by April.

On the bright side, I imagine all the folks "working from home" will suddenly be returning to their office next week. If not tomorrow...

"Look! I exist! I do stuff! Hi there! You need me here! I made a fresh pot of coffee in the break room! How are your kids?!" 🤣

SteamboatJoe

Mostly a timing issue. It sounds like they are keeping a similar level of investment for the fiscal year. I would say if they keep investing a similar amount for what they've done at the domestic parks the past 5 years that's pretty solid.
And to say they aren't putting any money into parks would be inaccurate. Its the implementation that is usually questioned. That isn't to say more capex isn't warranted however. It sounds like the parks are healthy and have weathered the pandemic.

CaptainAmerica

It's 7,000 jobs that currently exist, that will soon cease to exist.

A few of them may be random open positions in random departments, an open Project Manager gig in Engineering, or a Communications Manager in Public Affairs who quit last month, or what have you.

But the vast majority of these 7,000 layoffs will be people currently earning a paycheck from Disney in February who will no longer be earing a paycheck from Disney by April.

On the bright side, I imagine all the folks "working from home" will suddenly be returning to their office next week. If not tomorrow...

"Look! I exist! I do stuff! You need me here! I made a fresh pot of coffee in the break room! How are your kids?!" 🤣
They've had a hiring freeze for three months. They almost certainly have open headcount in the thousands.

I think you're right, directionally. I just think "vast majority" is too strong.

Surferboy567

They have to green light something in the way of new projects. Particularly something massive, not hypothetical.

brb1006

"We need another sequel out of Toy Story, what do we have?"

Number One Horror GIF by lilcozynostril

The other two are just... ugh.
I actually don't mind the news of a Zootopia sequel. The film's universe actually has a lot of potential to get expanded upon in either a trilogy or an animated series. Surprised they didn't give the film the Lilo and Stitch treatment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom