Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bob said they're not, even pointing out that keeping it in it's own fenced area is definitely not in preparation to sell it off. He said this to purposely stave off rumors.

He said they investigated if they should do it under Chapek and that previous administration's conclusion is that it shouldn't be sold off.

Two Bobs agree!!

Yeah, but I say... "Watch what they do, not what they say". That's why I asked the question about the other TV media portions. I mean I know ESPN is sports and a brand... but it's still media. For a company talking about consolidation and removing duplication... ESPN as a kingdom doesn't sound like it jives with all that.

UNCgolf

Yeah, but I say... "Watch what they do, not what they say". That's why I asked the question about the other TV media portions. I mean I know ESPN is sports and a brand... but it's still media. For a company talking about consolidation and removing duplication... ESPN as a kingdom doesn't sound like it jives with all that.

It's just hard to imagine they'd want to spin-off/sell something that makes them a ton of profit, and has long-term potential as a huge profit generator in streaming.

doctornick

It's just hard to imagine they'd want to spin-off/sell something that makes them a ton of profit, and has long-term potential as a huge profit generator in streaming.
Yeah, I think ESPN+ now falling under the ESPN umbrella is the big thing here. Instead of being managed by the streaming folks, it will be controlled by the sports programming people. I think the idea is to integrate linear and streaming better to maximize both and to help with the inevitable shift of more live sports to exclusively streaming.

Other streamers are falling all over themselves to get more sports on them but ESPN is better poised to make a viable, broad, profitable stand alone service in the future as an ultimate replacement for linear TV sports.

flynnibus

Premium Member

But in the same vein... it's also something that largely exists on the back of huge licensing deals and lots of competition from DTC offers because in a Streaming world who needs distribution when Amazon, Youtube or just any number of people can bid now?

Is it the model going forward? Is it's true value as more a production service rather than a distribution partner? I don't know... but it does seem to be segment ready for big shifts. First it was the local cable network alternatives eating into big football and baseball... now you have tech giants in the mix too.

I think of it like theme parks in a sense... high investment, good rewards... but still crazy recurring investment needed to stay relevant. At what point do you take the money and run? Timing that could be tough...

doctornick

How much longer do we have to wait for an expansion announcement mainly at AK
I wonder too, probably at the Destination D in the fall - but it would be nice to see something start now so it could theoretically be done by late 2025 to “compete” with Epic Universe.

No reason they couldn’t throw up some walls and start working on the Moana flume ride now. The PW footprint is just sitting unused.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Lead story tonight

Go figure…this was all about the dividend. Expect the proxy fight to go away too? Good chance…Bob is negotiating behind the scenes for his ego.

It’s only bad for employees, fans, park customers…the “little people”

hopemax

I've been too busy with work today to listen myself to the data... so pardon if these are obvious answers...

They are setting ESPN up as it's own division... but the other broadcast networks, TV, media, etc is going where? Disney Entertainment?

How is this NOT setting ESPN up for spin-out/sale?
I don't know about Disney's intentions, but from my POV it adds transparency to ESPN's contribution to revenue and profit when it's its own line item. We've always hated the way the Parks have to cover for bad Studio performance and I don't see how that doesn't get worse in an ESPN-less Disney. As long as ESPN is a solid positive, as long as ESPN+ has steady growth... it's not the biggest issue. I got the sense, that in a way that ESPN might be looking to go back to it's roots a little and become a broader sports distributor, which the more established they became, gave way to the time taken up by the Big Four sports and related studio shows. For example investment in International sports rights, as they've done with soccer, might add up to a better investment and a more stable subscriber base than participate in the bidding wars for the most popular US sports.

fgmnt

It would almost certainly have an IPO with some PE potentially taking sizable stakes.

Hearst of course has a ROFR for the 80% that TWDC owns too which complicates any sale of any kind.
I wouldn't discount the chances of a spin off in 10-20 years but the fantasy spun by the jokers in industry press that a sale would happen is just that, fantastic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been too busy with work today to listen myself to the data... so pardon if these are obvious answers...

They are setting ESPN up as it's own division... but the other broadcast networks, TV, media, etc is going where? Disney Entertainment?

How is this NOT setting ESPN up for spin-out/sale?

I don't know about Disney's intentions, but from my POV it adds transparency to ESPN's contribution to revenue and profit when it's its own line item. We've always hated the way the Parks have to cover for bad Studio performance and I don't see how that doesn't get worse in an ESPN-less Disney. As long as ESPN is a solid positive, as long as ESPN+ has steady growth... it's not the biggest issue. I got the sense, that in a way that ESPN might be looking to go back to it's roots a little and become a broader sports distributor, which the more established they became, gave way to the time taken up by the Big Four sports and related studio shows. For example investment in International sports rights, as they've done with soccer, might add up to a better investment and a more stable subscriber base than participate in the bidding wars for the most popular US sports.
The smart play is to pump up ESPN…then dump it while it still has perceived value…

In the future all sports broadcasts other than perhaps the nfl will be direct to consumer…which leaves national sports networks obselete.

ESPN has sucked for 15+ years anyway

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well it just wasn't the same without constant talk of "robust content pipelines", "strategic pillars," "Genie+", and "Yield Management."

I kid ;)

I didn't like everything that was said, but listening to Iger is infinitely better than Chapek.
Definitely more Polish…

But still the same basic misunderstanding of why Disney works and what it takes to keep it going

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom