Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Toy Story is getting more and more depressing as a franchise. How many times can they keep hammering the point that the toys are immortal and will always be abandoned by their human owners?

Frozen III could work if they give us a good villain and a love interest for Elsa.

'Frozen 3 will see Elsa's daughter continue the girl-power movement and cause all kinds of mischief with her powers before she gets a stern talking-to by Olaf about being a good snowman."

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So much for creativity, eh?

Toy Story 5 is a hilariously stupid idea. Frozen 3 doesn't make any sense either beyond "it'll make a bunch of money regardless". Zootopia is fine, I guess.
I’m surprised how much Disney and Pixar has changed at making good original movies. They just keep milking the ol popular movie cows until there is nothing left to squeeze from sequels to live action movies. I get they think it’s an easy buck but surely there’s some original talent left in the animation movie department right?

SteamboatJoe

Toy Story is getting more and more depressing as a franchise. How many times can they keep hammering the point that the toys are immortal and will always be abandoned by their human owners?

Frozen III could work if they give us a good villain and a love interest for Elsa.
Disney/Pixar films have really not produced many "good", memorable villains of late. I mean not actual villains that are not just an overbearing family member, one's own inner demons, or fear itself.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m surprised how much Disney and Pixar has changed at making good original movies. They just keep milking the ol popular movie cows until there is nothing left to squeeze from sequels to live action movies. I get they think it’s an easy buck but surely there’s some original talent left in the animation movie department right?

Franchise mandate. 🤦‍♂️

TP2000

They didn't say 7,000 layoffs technically. Eliminating open headcount should be part of that number, and with a hiring freeze in place for the last quarter there should be a bunch of them.

Someone should tell that to the leadership at the Los Angeles Times, as this is the front page story today for them.

I've also tuned in to the big talk radio station in LA via iheartradio app, and the words "Disney announced it is laying off 7,000 employees!" are being stated repeatedly on the airwaves of the second biggest media market in the nation. I imagine this will also be the top story for the 5 o'clock news on all the LA stations as well in a couple hours.

They're calling them "layoffs", not "eliminating open headcount".

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Someone should tell that to the leadership at the Los Angeles Times, as this is the front page story today for them.

I've also tuned in to the big talk radio station in LA via iheartradio app, and the words "Disney announced it is laying off 7,000 employees!" are being stated repeatedly on the airwaves of the second biggest media market in the nation. I imagine this will also be the top story for the 5 o'clock news on all the LA stations as well in a couple hours.

Zenia right now:

Brie Larson Sharpen The Knife GIF by National Geographic Channel

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Christine - we anticipate these eductions will be comprised of approximately 50% marketing, 30% labor, and 20% technology procurement and other expenses.
A 3500 job reduction in marketing I assume means a lot of internal marketing functions will be outsourced to agencies

CaptainAmerica

It's possible that they're all layoffs, but Bob chose his words carefully and by the way he phrases it, it's not NECESSARILY all layoffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom