News Dismal Q3 Earnings

biggsd

I was speaking yesterday with someone in the "Gamer" universe, and he was providing me his view on how Disney feels about Star Wars from their perspective. First thing he said: LucasFilm is VERY concerned with reception of the Star Wars video games, and are upping the marketing for the new "Jedi: Fallen Order" game quite a bit (visits to meet with programmers, etc at a much higher level than ever before). Additionally, the previous "Battlefront" series was supposed to be an "evergreen" game for the organization, and though it had high reviews, never got the traction that they expected (if you go to buy it, you can get it "dirt cheap", according to this person). He is hearing that after the failures of the last movie, and the poorly-received opening of GE, they are hoping that this game stems the tide of bad Star Wars news before Episode IX comes out. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt (its second and third hand stuff), but it does fit the narrative of what we have been seeing.

biggsd

I was speaking yesterday with someone in the "Gamer" universe, and he was providing me his view on how Disney feels about Star Wars from their perspective. First thing he said: LucasFilm is VERY concerned with reception of the Star Wars video games, and are upping the marketing for the new "Jedi: Fallen Order" game quite a bit (visits to meet with programmers, etc at a much higher level than ever before). Additionally, the previous "Battlefront" series was supposed to be an "evergreen" game for the organization, and though it had high reviews, never got the traction that they expected (if you go to buy it, you can get it "dirt cheap", according to this person). He is hearing that after the failures of the last movie, and the poorly-received opening of GE, they are hoping that this game stems the tide of bad Star Wars news before Episode IX comes out. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt (its second and third hand stuff), but it does fit the narrative of what we have been seeing.
A note: I'm not a member of this "Gamer" universe (my son likes games, but he's 8), so again, everything with a grain of salt......

ImperfectPixie

For what its worth, Disney hasn't had the best of records when it comes to game development, the two biggest failures that come to mind are partnering with Electronic Arts (who has dismal tech support/customer service) and the sudden discontinuation of Disney Infinity (which should have been a slam dunk what with it's ability to continuously expand as new films/characters are developed) due to infighting between the departments involved in developing the characters and game-play for each of the different studios (Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, etc.). My hope is that they find and purchase an amazing game developer and bring gaming back under their own umbrella.

EDIT: There's also the Gameloft game "Disney's Magic Kingdoms", which is a great little mobile game...but it's gotten to the point where they're alienating their most loyal players in typical Disney fashion by continuously adding means of monetization and price increases.

ImperfectPixie

I meant to also say that the Star Wars games, specifically, are under Electronic Arts, which I think is a huge mistake...especially with the tech/service woes attached to them and the whole "pay-to-play" uproar caused by Electronic Arts.

eddie104

I meant to also say that the Star Wars games, specifically, are under Electronic Arts, which I think is a huge mistake...especially with the tech/service woes attached to them and the whole "pay-to-play" uproar caused by Electronic Arts.
I was watching that situation from the sidelines and it was disaster for EA. Fans were very upset with the company and did put some blame on Disney as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
EDIT: There's also the Gameloft game "Disney's Magic Kingdoms", which is a great little mobile game...but it's gotten to the point where they're alienating their most loyal players in typical Disney fashion by continuously adding means of monetization and price increases.

They lost my wife and I as players months ago. She stopped not long before I did, due to frustration with difficulty in getting certain pieces and just the overall repetitive nature of things. My last straw was the Princess & The Frog event. I tried to get the first character, which should be doable in the first 3-4 hours. After 4 days of trying, and failing, to get the one missing necessary piece, I uninstalled the game. They turned that game from fun to play into pay-to-win in a big way. Someone posted the cost to do certain events and it showed something like an 80% inflation rate in what needed to be done to complete them. Without spending real money, you aren't getting the 'big character' (Ariel, Tiana, etc.) in any of their "new content" events, it is literally impossible to do so without spending real money. I got Stitch but only after shelling out some $ to get some gems so I could complete him. Drop rates were ok at the start but got progressively worse as time went on.

I will stop the tangent now and return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of TWDC Q3 earnings. :)

The_Jobu

Ha. My sister was just complaining to me about this exact issue. Magic Kingdoms is literally the only game she plays, played it for ages, always "managing" her park multiple times a day to get the best stuff. Now she stopped caring because everything is behind a pay wall. She checks in strictly once a day so she can set it up and get the easier rewards, but she's growing tired of it quickly.

As a resident gamer and lovable rogue, I am very familiar with how badly EA wet the bed with the release of battlefront. The single play campaign was criticized as dull, but the multiplayer was decent to good. The problem was at launch they made all the best unlockables incredible grinds to purposely frustrate players into caving in and just buying unlockables. On top of that, the purchasable unlockables were randomized with "lootbox mechanics" which is quite controversial already.

When criticized for this, EA provided the famous quote that they wanted players to have a "sense of accomplishment" after days of tediuous grinding. The backlash REALLY hurt sales out of the gate. Apparently they lowered the grind and the game price and that has seen positive results.

Now I should probably get back to work. Good day normal people.

Ravenclaw78

Ha. My sister was just complaining to me about this exact issue. Magic Kingdoms is literally the only game she plays, played it for ages, always "managing" her park multiple times a day to get the best stuff. Now she stopped caring because everything is behind a pay wall. She checks in strictly once a day so she can set it up and get the easier rewards, but she's growing tired of it quickly.

As a resident gamer and lovable rogue, I am very familiar with how badly EA wet the bed with the release of battlefront. The single play campaign was criticized as dull, but the multiplayer was decent to good. The problem was at launch they made all the best unlockables incredible grinds to purposely frustrate players into caving in and just buying unlockables. On top of that, the purchasable unlockables were randomized with "lootbox mechanics" which is quite controversial already.

When criticized for this, EA provided the famous quote that they wanted players to have a "sense of accomplishment" after days of tediuous grinding. The backlash REALLY hurt sales out of the gate. Apparently they lowered the grind and the game price and that has seen positive results.

Now I should probably get back to work. Good day normal people.

One of EA's responses to this was to promise that the next Star Wars game was going to be single-player only and have no microtransactions or lootboxes. Wall Street analysts basically hammered the company for giving Star Wars gamers what they actually asked for instead of "sufficiently monetizing a key upcoming release". Goes back to this whole mess of short-term shareholders demanding immediate profit at the expense of a company's long term viability.

starri42

I've actually heard people whining about Fallen Order because it looks "linear and boring."

If you give me the Star Wars version of Uncharted, I will be all over that.

The_Jobu

One of EA's responses to this was to promise that the next Star Wars game was going to be single-player only and have no microtransactions or lootboxes. Wall Street analysts basically hammered the company for giving Star Wars gamers what they actually asked for instead of "sufficiently monetizing a key upcoming release". Goes back to this whole mess of short-term shareholders demanding immediate profit at the expense of a company's long term viability.

Yup, that sounds like the current state of the gaming industry.

On the plus side, I've heard nothing but positives and excitement for the upcoming single player game, especially the protagonist they created (which is played by a pretty talented actor).

eddie104

It posits that the mismanagement of the Star Wars brand has contributed to Disney's lower than expected earnings this quarter.
Well that's one point of view to be honest and a narrative people are trying to spin. Honestly I'm so sick of people trying to politicize everything it's very click bait like in my opinion.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster

It posits that the mismanagement of the Star Wars brand has contributed to Disney's lower than expected earnings this quarter.

Disney Star Wars: You can’t spell woke without $$$.

Just search YouTube for SWGE and you find tons of videos like this. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but the fact that you find this all over the webs should scare Burbank if they’ve pegged their future to SW. And looking at some of the things coming with the next wave of MCU without many of the characters we’ve really become attached to...Uggg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom