Disloyalty to Disney?

agent86

Original Poster
But to say you can go round the Universal parks in 4-6 hours is rubbish.

I agree. Obviously people who state this are trying to portray Universal as a place where there "just isn't much to see or do". The problem is that stating you can see the whole thing in just "4 hours" is so absurd that it weakens their argument.

jonnyc

Universal's parks seem like two very well themed Six Flags to me, while Disney feels like an experience.

Spot on. But it still wouldn't be a Florida vacation for my family and I, if we didn't spend a day at Universal, and a day at IoA. If you go to WDW for 2 weeks and don't do those two parks your missing out. Sea World however is one park i don't like. Discovery Cove is amazing, and if you can get booked in to swim with Dolphins, you must do it!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I still can't comprehend how people seem to be able to relate a Six Flags park to a Universal park, they are practically nothing alike in any way.

Someone please explain what they have in common besides that they have a couple of outdoor rollercoasters

Nemo14

I've only stayed onsite. Nothing compares. I've stayed at Caribbean Beach '98, Port Orleans French Quarter '01, Coronado Springs '04, and Port Orleans Riverside '06. The next time will be in '09 and I will stay at Caribbean Beach again.
Nothing compares if you have nothing to compare it with.

cblodg

When you are a fanatic of something it is no doubt that you want to keep all of your time to that certain thing/place.

I went to universal and to be honest I was able to go through the parks in 4 hours. Who can do that in Disney?

It depends on people's taste.

Same here. US just doesn't hold up to Disney.

We're staying one day off Disney when we go down in Feb. Could be my sister's last trip for a while and she wants to do the Medieval Times dinner. I, being the major history geek, really want to see either Kennedy Space Center (haven't been since I was a kid) or the Titanic Museum.

agent86

Original Poster
I still can't comprehend how people seem to be able to relate a Six Flags park to a Universal park, they are practically nothing alike in any way.

Someone please explain what they have in common besides that they have a couple of outdoor rollercoasters

This one baffles me too. But I think that when people describe Universal as being "like Six Flags" in any way, it's generally driven by one of these five possibilities (or some combination of the five):

1. The person saying Universal is "like Six Flags" has never actually been to Universal. They may be basing this assessment solely on having seen a picture of the Hulk or Dueling Dragons, and they assume the entire park (or BOTH parks perhaps) to be filled with nothing but thrill rides.

2. The person making this statement may have visited Universal at one time, but did so with a very closed mind and determined not to like anything (thereby not giving it a fair chance, but entering the park simply so they could later make the argument that they did give it a chance). Sounds crazy, but I do think some fanatics think this way.

3. Since Six Flags is generally the benchmark for anything that is the antithesis of Disney, many people are in the habit of referring to any non-Disney park as being "like Six Flags". I think some people do this even in cases where a park has MUCH more in common with Disney than it does with Six Flags (which is definitely the case with both Universal parks).

4. Many people tend to simply repeat the opinions of others because it's more comfortable to be part of the group, rather than the independent thinker. Consequently, I think a lot of people just repeat the "Universal is like Six Flags" statement without even giving much thought to what they're actually saying.

5. I honestly think some hardcore Disney fans are threatened by the existence of Universal (or better yet, they consider Disney to be threatened by Universal), because Universal truly has the only parks in Orlando that come anywhere near rivaling (and in some cases they surpass) the Disney parks. I think these fans would rather have people believe that Universal isn't worth a visit, so they try to convince people that it's "just another Six Flags" or "just another thrill park" or the ever popular, "I saw both parks in 4 hours". :rolleyes: Like #2, I know this one sounds a little crazy, but I do believe some people think that way.

Laura

Premium Member
No I don't feel disloyal going to Universal. It's because I don't feel any loyalty to any billion-dollar company in the world. I think the idea of it is almost absurd. Whichever interests me more at the moment, is the one I'll go to.

TOTALLY AGREE! If I'm gonna pay the $300 in gas to drive to Orlando and back, I'm gonna do whatever I darn well please when I get there. If I can spare the cash to go to Universal Studios, Sea World, or any other park you bet I'll do it. You'd have to be a pretty stubborn and closed-minded person to deny the existence of other fun places outside of WDW.

Whoever said they did all the Universal parks in 4 hours...HUH?? On this most recent trip we did both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios with express passes (meaning we didn't wait in a single line all day). We still didn't see everything, and we were moving at a pretty fast pace.

So yeah, I could see Magic Kingdom in 4 hours too - if I SKIPPED MOST OF THE PARK. :lol:

That being said, I seriously doubt that we will ever stay on property again. To us, the hotels are just not worth the current prices, and we really hate the crowded busses. We really don't feel that we're missing anything by staying off-site. Plus, there are just so many great things to see and do in Florida besides WDW, we would never limit ourselves to just theme parks.

I agree with you as well! We rarely stay on-site anymore. We have so much more space and comfort and quiet when we trade our time share and stay in Kissimmee. The place we stayed a couple weeks ago was less than a mile from Animal Kingdom, so it was practically like staying on property except we had our own "apartment" instead of a dinky little overpriced room.

agent86

Original Poster
So yeah, I could see Magic Kingdom in 4 hours too - if I SKIPPED MOST OF THE PARK. :lol:

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:Exactly!! People who make this claim about Universal are just trying to portray Universal as a place that doesn't offer much. But if I applied that same attitude toward Magic Kingdom (or even multiple Disney parks), I could do the same thing. I could go on a couple of rides in each park and just state that I "just wasn't interested" in seeing any of the other stuff. Does that mean I did all of those parks in 4 hours? Of course not. It simply means that I just spent a total of 4 hours IN the parks. There's a big difference. And people who say they did BOTH Universal parks in 4 hours (or even in one day) didn't really DO both parks, I guarantee it. What they're essentially saying is that they are admitting they didn't give the Universal parks a fair chance. Frankly, this is not someone I'd want to listen to if I were looking for fair, unbiased opinions to help me decide whether to visit a place. :hammer:

WDFAN1977

My main reason for not venturing off property has to do with the headache of travel time and traffic to the other popular destinations around Orlando. That being said, my next visit to WDW my brother n law and I plan to go to IOA.

Laura

Premium Member
My main reason for not venturing off property has to do with the headache of travel time and traffic to the other popular destinations around Orlando. That being said, my next visit to WDW my brother n law and I plan to go to IOA.

It only takes about 10 minutes to drive from WDW to Universal. No headache involved so long as you're not doing it at rush hour!

kingslyZISSOU

TOTALLY AGREE! If I'm gonna pay the $300 in gas to drive to Orlando and back, I'm gonna do whatever I darn well please when I get there. If I can spare the cash to go to Universal Studios, Sea World, or any other park you bet I'll do it. You'd have to be a pretty stubborn and closed-minded person to deny the existence of other fun places outside of WDW.

Whoever said they did all the Universal parks in 4 hours...HUH?? On this most recent trip we did both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios with express passes (meaning we didn't wait in a single line all day). We still didn't see everything, and we were moving at a pretty fast pace.

To reveal a family secret, If you wake up REALLY early the day after christmas, universal is EMPTY for the morning. everybody stays up too late. my brother and I did everything worth doing in less than 4 hours, we were literally the only ones in all of new york. we went on the mummy, we were the only ones in the que, than we had to wait for a car to pull up so we could load. MIB had no wait either, there were a couple kids who had obviously been on it several times that morning. than went over to ioa. that was my first trip there.

Dragonrider1227

We'll only STAY at Disney, but when the Harry Potter land opens, we plan to spend at least one day at Islands of Adventure
PS. I don't get how people can compare US to Six Flags either. It may not be as good as Disney, but it looks better than THAT!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom