Disloyalty to Disney?

agent86

Original Poster
When you take a trip to Orlando, do you stay on Disney property the entire time (with the exception of traveling to/from the airport)? Or do you venture off and enjoy the many other things the area has to offer? If it's the former, I'm curious what drives the unyielding desire, for some, to only experience Disney and nothing else. I'm sure many will post that they simply "have no interest", but I suspect that for many, it's out of some feeling of somehow betraying Disney by allowing themselves to enjoy something else. Case in point, on the "Universal becoming more popular than Disney?" thread, which was inexplicably locked for no apparent reason, a few people commented that they felt "disloyal" for visiting and enjoying Universal. Just curious...what keeps YOU on property and what is the reason for it?

cococola44

When you are a fanatic of something it is no doubt that you want to keep all of your time to that certain thing/place.

I went to universal and to be honest I was able to go through the parks in 4 hours. Who can do that in Disney?

It depends on people's taste.

paige1217

I would think alot of people do not travel off property for the simple fact they fly in to orlando and take the disney express bus. Once at disney they dont have access to vehicles to leave onsite.......

I dont think it is being dis loyoal to enjoy Universal or any of the other things Orlando / Tampa has to offer

Lucky

For me, it's not loyalty or disinterest in other things. I think WDW is best experienced as a total immersion program. And Universal, Busch Gardens etc. are best experienced separately, so that they're not judged too harshly by direct comparison to Disney.

agent86

Original Poster
When you are a fanatic of something it is no doubt that you want to keep all of your time to that certain thing/place.

I went to universal and to be honest I was able to go through the parks in 4 hours. Who can do that in Disney?

It depends on people's taste.

The only way I can imagine doing Universal in 4 hours is by skipping a lot of stuff.

eliezrah

I love Universal and Busch Gardens, but when we go to WDW, we fly in and take a bus to Disney. Like a PP said, we don't have an y vehicles to get off site. Plus there's so much to do at WDW that we usually wouldn't have time to do other stuff.

disneygirl1

I Never been to Universal in Orlando... I just feel like I am missing something that I could be doing at a Disney Park. I will say that I had the opportunity to go to Universal in Hollywood when I was out in California a few months ago. It was alot of fun, and we were able to do the entire park in about 6 hours. Disney is hands down the best!!!! I'm hoping on my next trip to LA I can go to Disneyland (fingers crossed)...

Eyorefan

Honestly I haven't been to Universal in a long time, and its not because I think their parks are horrible or that there is nothing to do there, its just that there is so much I want to do at Disney, I don't have time to go to the other parks.

That said, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so when the section opens I will be taking at least one day, if not more to go over there to see it. Will I feel disloyal to Disney when I do that? No.

agent86

Original Poster
I Never been to Universal in Orlando... I just feel like I am missing something that I could be doing at a Disney Park. I will say that I had the opportunity to go to Universal in Hollywood when I was out in California a few months ago. It was alot of fun, and we were able to do the entire park in about 6 hours. Disney is hands down the best!!!! I'm hoping on my next trip to LA I can go to Disneyland (fingers crossed)...

Universal Hollywood and Universal Orlando are nothing alike. They have some similar rides, but the parks are completely different. The one in Hollywood is one of the dullest parks anywhere. But don't judge the one in Orlando by it. It is a much better park (along with IOA) and both give Disney a definite run for their money.

eliezrah

Honestly I haven't been to Universal in a long time, and its not because I think their parks are horrible or that there is nothing to do there, its just that there is so much I want to do at Disney, I don't have time to go to the other parks.

That said, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so when the section opens I will be taking at least one day, if not more to go over there to see it. Will I feel disloyal to Disney when I do that? No.
OMG I can't believe I almost forgot about the new Harry Potter section coming! We're going to do Halloween there after it opens! I have to say, if we don't have the kids with us, Halloween at Universal is fantastic!!!!!

sarabi

I've been to Seaworld and Universal before. And of course, I was all over Orlando when I lived there during my CP. I have to say, I have very little desire to go back to Universal. I would really like to go back to Seaworld but it's not as important to me as Disney.
They've got that new thing now... Discovery something.... where you hang out in lazy rivers and pools and stuff with dolphins (so embarrassed I can't remember what its' called). I'd love to do that.
About every other time, I will rent a car and drive to Cape Canaveral. I'll stop at an orange stand by the side of the road somewhere, walk on the beach, and visit Kennedy Space Center. I find it so relaxing and of course I'm as much of a space fan as I am a disney fan, so this is totally worth doing to me. I don't think it's disloyalty at all, though I do tend to stay on Disney property throughout even if I am visiting other places.

TTFN-Tiggger

I don't think it is disloyal. you are just seeing what else Orlando has to offer. I have rented cars in the past to visit Kennedy Space Center, Universal, Sea World and the Medieval Times. I do spend about 98% of the time at Disney when I am there - just the one or two days off to check out something else.

jedimaster1227

Disney knows I was a theme park enthusiast first. Disloyalty? Not really. I don't consider it treason--I'm just widening my view of the horizon by visiting other locations. My interests are in the theme park industry as a whole (though I have a focus on Disney at times), so I learn from each visit at each park. I'm even taking a three week theme park tour of the the East Coast and Canada at the end of the Summer to get a feel for the side of the industry that I've never seen before. Its just a way of making myself a little more experienced.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not a case of loyalty or disloyalty. My first experience was at Disney and I enjoyed it enough to want to go back. When I reach the point that WDW isn't enough or I'm getting tired of it [or DS13 decides he wants to try Universal], I'll gladly expand my horizons outside Disney. I've been to the KSC once and enjoyed it, but the only reason I went was friends who thought Disney wasn't worth the cost.

danpam1024

We save the "other attractions" for long weekends. We stayed at the Nickhotel recently, and had a blast! We did BOTH Universal parks in the same day...but we were just hittin' the highlights. Seaworld's a nice change as well, but only for a couple of days. The only time we go to WDW is when we go for our 2 week family vacation, it makes it that much more special :xmas:

lilclerk

I hate driving on vacation :shrug:

I'll venture out to Universal again on my next trip to see The Simpsons and, of course, Harry Potter (not going again for a while as you can see.) And I'd like to hit Sea World again at some point. But the past couple trips have been exclusively Disney.

DisneyYorkian74

I visit Orlando for the sole purpose of going to WDW.

Although I have been to all 7 of the major theme parks in Orlando, WDW is the only reason that keeps our family going back.

Going to Orlando is also expensive. So if we can't afford to buy tickets to WDW that year, then our family won't go to Orlando at all and we'll spend that money going somewhere else for vacation.

CinderALLIE

When I go to Orlando, I stay offsite for the first week and do Universal and SeaWorld. Then the next 2 1/2 weeks I go and stay at and do Disney World. I feel that that's the way for me to do it, I don't drive and don't want to have to get transportation from Disney to go to other parks as once I'm in Disney I don't wanna leave. I don't feel like I'm being disloyal, I've travelled all that way Im going to go to the other parks (plus you can't see Killer Whales in Australia). I purposely do Orlando first though as after going to Disney World nothing can compare.

Fun2BFree

We do Universal every trip (and stay overnight at one of their hotels for Universal Express and a change of pace), and have done SeaWorld and Busch for the first time in seven years. With the exception of these, we spend practically every moment on property.

unclemike

I will never leave Disney Property, Universal doesn't even interest me. It will never have the Disney Magic. No Disney Charm = :snore:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom