Disappointed with very few fun room displays at Pop this year

ThinkTink721

We were really disappointed that we only had one fun room display done for us during our entire stay at Pop this year.

My kids always look forward to returning to the room after a day at the parks to see what the room looks like.

My hubby actually called the front desk to ask if we could get more displays done.

We did leave a tip for the display that was done.

Our mousekeeper was very nice - she tried to be helpful by giving us a cute elephant that was made from washcloths. We thanked her, but it just wasn't the same as having the room done when you're not there.

I think they had a change in their mousekeepers crew & I know that when they are new, they have to attend a class to learn how to make the displays.

We were just kind of disappointed, that's all. :(

Correction: My hubby informed me that he did not call the front desk. He had to go to the front desk to check on something else & he just asked them if they still did the displays. They replied that the mousekeepers who had been to the class usually did them & they had a towel animal sent to our room. He didn't ask for one. Sorry about the confusion. :) :wave:

hcswingfield

Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. The towel animals are a pleasant surprise. An uncleaned room is an unpleasant surprise. If the beds are made and the room cleaned, I'm happy. I'm at Disney World, and I'm getting a break from doing my own housework.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

I've stayed in WDW resorts I don't know how many times, and I've never gotten a "display" in my room. I did have ONE mousekeeper who used to put my son's plush Komodo in odd places, if that's what a display is? I've also gotten a few towel animals over the years.

I expect the mousekeepers to clean my room; no more, no less. I would never call the front desk to ask why the housekeeper wasn't doing something above and beyond what one would expect at any other hotel. :shrug:

Now, if the bathroom was dirty....

while i see your point, comparing a disney room to a holiday inn isn't quite fair. when people pay sometimes double for a room, they tend to expect a little more.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
while i see your point, comparing a disney room to a holiday inn isn't quite fair. when people pay sometimes double for a room, they tend to expect a little more.
Yes, and whether you get towel animals or not, you do get more, a lot more:

- You get access to EMH.
- You get access to free bus transportation throughout the WDW property.
- You get the total immersion in Disneyana 24 hours a day.
- You get the incredibly good security that is an almost pervasive presence while you're on property.

And you generally get a cleaner, more pleasant room than I've ever had at a Holiday Inn! :lol:

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I guess those of us who come back and share stories of getting towel animals in the room might possibly set expectations for others that EVERYONE gets them at every resort, every time. But that's not the case.

When we checked into the Animal Kingdom lodge on our last visit (2 weeks ago), a Mickey Mouse 3 circle design awaited us on one of the beds, and that was nice.

I wrote a note to the housekeeping (okay, MOUSEkeeping :D ) and thanked her for the surprise and told her how much our family loved getting those surprises, and left that note with a nice cash tip. But for the rest of our stay, no towel animals. :shrug:

I guess the lesson of this thread is that towel animals are a nice surprise when they occur, not an entitlement. :D

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I guess those of us who come back and share stories of getting towel animals in the room might possibly set expectations for others that EVERYONE gets them at every resort, every time. But that's not the case.

When we checked into the Animal Kingdom lodge on our last visit (2 weeks ago), a Mickey Mouse 3 circle design awaited us on one of the beds, and that was nice.

I wrote a note to the housekeeping (okay, MOUSEkeeping :D ) and thanked her for the surprise and told her how much our family loved getting those surprises, and left that note with a nice cash tip. But for the rest of our stay, no towel animals. :shrug:

I guess the lesson of this thread is that towel animals are a nice surprise when they occur, not an entitlement. :D

I guess the lesson learned here is that you might get them & you might not. Just because you get them almost every day for 2 trips in a row & then only once during the next trip...it's all good! :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeymatt

It is (or was) the year of a million dreams. If the kids wants some freakin display...give them some freakin display! Why all the hostility over someone calling the front desk. If I want regular housekeeping I can stay offsite somewhere and probably save some money. It used to be those little nuances that set Disney apart from everyone else.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It is (or was) the year of a million dreams. If the kids wants some freakin display...give them some freakin display! Why all the hostility over someone calling the front desk. If I want regular housekeeping I can stay offsite somewhere and probably save some money. It used to be those little nuances that set Disney apart from everyone else.
No hostility. Simply a recognition that some things are not entitlements. If you get towel animals, great! If you get a free upgrade to a better room or perhaps a better resort, great! If you win a stay in the Cinderella Suite, great! But if you're asking to be given things because you've been fortunate enough to have them before, then people are simply pointing out that those things aren't an entitlement, they're a pleasant add-on.

I don't think the OP was aware that Mousekeeping setting up displays of towels or toys is not as common as her experience would lead her to believe, nothing more, nothing less. :shrug:

Upvote 0

AUBandPilot

One thing to keep in mind about tipping.

You are tipping the Mousekeeper that WILL clean your room and may not be the same person (as I've witnessed many times) that left the display or towel animals the last time.

Just my $.02

Upvote 0

Whimsy

The first couple of times I stayed at Disney, I didn't even know what a towel animal was! There's been at least 3-4 trips where there's been no towel animals left by mousekeeping. I never realized that it was mandatory. Then there's been times where they've arranged all the stuffed animals in towel boats, gave them leis (that maid was really amazing!), placed them in creative positions, or even made the aforementioned "display" where they go all out and place them in front of the window. All in all, if it happens, I'm delightfully surprised, but I've never EXPECTED to get a full-fledged creative display. As long as they clean my room, fine by me!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We were really disappointed that we only had one fun room display done for us during our entire stay at Pop this year.

My kids always look forward to returning to the room after a day at the parks to see what the room looks like.

My hubby actually called the front desk to ask if we could get more displays done.
We did leave a tip for the display that was done.

Our mousekeeper was very nice - she tried to be helpful by giving us a cute elephant that was made from washcloths. We thanked her, but it just wasn't the same as having the room done when you're not there.

I think they had a change in their mousekeepers crew & I know that when they are new, they have to attend a class to learn how to make the displays.

We were just kind of disappointed, that's all. :(

I can't believe you clearly felt you were entitled to these, and thus disappointed when you didn't get them. And to actually call to "ask if we could get more displays done" is way beyond my comprehension. :brick::brick::brick:

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

I don't know if it was first timers luck but we got some really cute things when we went on our trip. When we checked in we had a towel Mickey. That night a wrote a short note for Mousekeeping thanking them for making the Mickey and saying that I was really excited to go to Magic Kingdom the next day. I left that with the tip in a special mousekeeping tip envelope that I had made up before we got there. (Actually I made a different envelope for each day!) The next night we got back and there weren't any towel animals or anything like that. My husband openly pouted while I just told him to suck it up and not upset our toddler. That night I wrote Mousekeeping another note to go with the tip. Do you know what it said? Thank you for cleaning the room so well and that it is wonderful to come back from a long day to a nicely made bed and a clean shower. The next day I found that Mousekeeping had put my sons Buzz Lightyear spinner in the window like it was defending the room. This night I was so tired that my note simply said Thank You. The next day we had the prettiest display. We actually left it up the whole rest of the trip. Additionally, they had turned my sons blanket into a bow, the shower stuff into a bow and the toilet paper into a bow. The best part of all was the fact that our mousekeeper left us a note thanking us! How amazing is that. Of course I gushed a thank you in my note that night! We came back to little shell shaped wahcloths and such. It was adorable. I have no way of knowing if it was the same mousekeeper but I really wanted to share that. I never expected all of that but I totally appreciated it!
2922240424_98d6bb5862.jpg

2921393731_657951b9fa.jpg
2921394089_ecb4a098a5.jpg
2921392753_a472471e0b.jpg

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster

Thank you! :) :wave:

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
One thing to keep in mind about tipping.

You are tipping the Mousekeeper that WILL clean your room and may not be the same person (as I've witnessed many times) that left the display or towel animals the last time.

Just my $.02

We had one that worked Tues. through Sat. & another that worked on Sun. & Mon.
We asked our main Mousekeeper what her schedule was so that we could be sure to tip on the correct day.
:wave:

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I can't believe you clearly felt you were entitled to these, and thus disappointed when you didn't get them. And to actually call to "ask if we could get more displays done" is way beyond my comprehension. :brick::brick::brick:

We were just going on past experiences.
Now we know that it is not a common thing.
You live & you learn.
Now we know! :) :wave:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Id rather they spent time cleaning the rooms properly and less time making towel toys. Time that has to be ultimately paid for by me the guest. But then Im a miserable old git, but an old git with standards.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom