Disappointed with Disney

This is really unfortunate.

It's unfortunate that we even have to have this discussion. But since we do, here's my 2 cents.

I also agree with most of what was said here.

I agree that the parks need better upkeep. I agree that they should quit expanding and fix what they have.

I however don't attribute it to anything other than the changing of the times (not that I like it in any shape or form). I've noticed grumpy CM's, we like to refer to our favorite one as the "Grumpiest person in the happiest place on earth", yelling - yes, yelling - at guests "If you don't move that car, I'll move it for you!" I've noticed CM's walking right past trash on the ground, I've noticed CM's doing other things that are just indicative of the current state of our society. No longer is the customer always right. Now it comes down to money instead of pride. Pride in what we do, and pride in what/who we are.

The parks are backsliding due to their lack of attention to detail.

BTW - 99.99% of all CM's I've met/seen are incredibly nice. However my wife and I are pretty sure they have to take a Psychological test before they are allowed to work there. They just are required to fail it first. 99.99% of all CM's are incredibly happy individuals - sickeningly so at times (but then, I'd never have it any other way.)

:D :lol:

Don L Duck

I will have to agree with the upkeep and attitude of some CM's also ,but maybe the problem is in the training now, or the pay scale.Why pick it up and pay attention to detail for $6.00 an hour.It's only a summer job to most and let's face it some of today's youth do not have to deal with a lot of the same thing's or have the same attitude's as say 25 to 30 year's ago.So what if I get fired I'll go somewhere else.IMHO:rolleyes:

redkenwolf

My father and I couldn't agree more. I did a research paper on Disneyland and what I found was incredible. How disney imagineers and Walt himself paid SO much attention to detail (Well except the very first day it opened) but from there on after. If is so sad to see grafitti or gum on splash mountain. We went for four days last December and everytime it was still there. I remember reading how Walt would walk through the park in the morning just to make sure everything was working and every little detail was straight. I miss that great up keep. However I am impressed by the people who do work at Disney now, for the pay and the hours they still remain the happiest people on Earth and make the experience great! I feel the pride of some CM's but it definetly hits a cord with me when I feel someone is working and does not want to be there. I think that cheats the CM's and the guests. Just my two cents. I'm still sad there was gum and grafitti there- :hurl:

disneyman15

I'm Surrounded by Idiots
I agree with people who are saying that AK needs more E ticket rides. AK has only two major rides and one show that I liked. I didn't spend alot of time there because there was nothing to do.

DanStat

I've said it 1,000 times and don't mind saying it 10,000 more, I love Animal Kingdom!

Dino-Rama is great! It's a great area, and it has a rollercoaster! ;)

I think if you take your time, enjoy and relax, take in the atmosphere, you will come to love it to! I could spend my whole vacation in there! I don't think you have to have your park crammed-to-the-walls with rides.

Just my two-cents.

MKCustodial

Unfortunately, many CMs working right now are there either because they can't get anything else, or they are deluded with the idea of making money at Disney.

We have to remember that these are different times than 1971, or even 5 to 10 years ago. The world is getting harsher by the minute. It'd be great if, like Tiggerman has said somewhere before, Disney took the time to hire CMs who are ACTUALLY CMs at heart. But we all know what makes the world go round.

On a side note, about all the trash, as much as this might be some CMs' fault, I feel Guests are most responsible here. You wouldn't believe the kinds of mess I used to find at Frontierland, stuff like a whole family eating turkey legs and then stuffing the bones and scraps under a bush, like nobody would find it, with a frickin trash bin right beside them! And since Disney can't select nor teach Guests...:(

Erika

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
I've said it 1,000 times and don't mind saying it 10,000 more, I love Animal Kingdom!
I think if you take your time, enjoy and relax, take in the atmosphere, you will come to love it too! I could spend my whole vacation in there! I don't think you have to have your park crammed-to-the-walls with rides.

Just my two-cents.

I'm with you, DP. Please-- everyone-- don't try to make this park something it is not. Accept it for the unique experience it is, or don't go. The entire front of the park is filled with things to see and a lot of people run right past it trying to get to the rides. You realyl need to "stop and smell the roses" as they say. I've had CMs point out animals to me I didn't even know existed. I've had a kangaroo creep towards me who was fascinated by the red-eye light on my camera. On the safari, an ostrich poked his head inside the vehicle and took a good look around. On my way through Asia, I watched a beautiful, brightly colored bird play in a pan of water not more than 3 feet away from where I was standing. YES YES YES to a lot of people this is boring stuff. But for a lot of is, it is, as I have said in other posts, a very welcome change from a hectic vacation.

TURKEY

Imagine if the only parks around were Disneyland and the MK at WDW. People would be begging and begging for more. Any new park could be built with the best rides and more rides than earlier parks. People would say that the new parks aren't good enough. No one is satisfied with what they get now. Everyone wants MORE, MORE, MORE.

Yes, AK needs more great rides. Look at MGM, they started out with less. Now it has 2 of the best rides in WDW. Give it time. They built AK because there was room to build it. Space is becoming more and more limited. Unless you close something, there isn't that much room to open a new ride in the existing parks (at least MK and Epcot). World of Motion and Horizons are closed for two high thrills, innovative rides. PEOPLE COMPLAINED AND COMPLAINED. Like I said, building rides in an existing park is a no-win situation.

Would you rather have had AK built in what 5 years (???) with what it has now, or wait 10 years and have more great rides? Only so much construction can happen at one time.

Rides have been shut down because they aren't intense enough for some people. 20K was shut down due to the ADA and other factors. Retooling the subs wouldn't be worth it, if at all possible. I think new subs would have been needed. It would cost too much money.

All the trash is disappointing.

Putting down new carpet will take more than one night. It could be fixed in a few days, but then guests would be complaining that rides are closed. It's a NO WIN situation for Disney. I would love to see everything with a fresh coat of paint and no cosmetic flaws, but it's not practical or financially feisable. BUT IT DOES NEED TO BE FIXED.

BUT DO NOT BLAME EVERYTHING ON DISNEY. Part of the problem is SOCIETY. The guests have to take some of the blame too. I've seen people deliberately pour popcorn on the ground. People throw their trash down instead of walking a few feet to a trash can. People write on walls, scrape paint off, and purposely destroy property that isn't theirs. Some CMs don't care as much as they used too. Blame that on society.

FACE IT, THE DECLINE IN SOCIETY HAS A GREAT DEAL TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF TRASH AND FLAWS YOU SEE IN THE PARKS. NOT ONLY IN THE TRASH PRODUCED, BUT IN THE LACK OF CLEANING IT UP.

prberk

Yep

I agree with most of this thread. Obviously, growth and expansion was huge for a while, but now it is time to take a breath and work on what they have for a while.

In the meantime, I especially think EPCOT needs some attention, and not just physically (although that is true in many cases). I think it is obvious that the company management has lost sight of Walt's EPCOT vision. Sure, it was utopian and maybe unrealistic, but at least the ideas of EPCOT could be a lot more useful and inspirational if they got more of the company's attention. What I mean is that, while things like Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel are going wild in popularity among Disney's target audience, Disney is ignoring the fact on television and in its retailing that it has a perfect platform for this type of programming (and subsequent retailing) right at Walt Disney World -- both with EPCOT and with the Animal Kingdom. Daily shows SHOULD be done there, with live audiences. Walt did this kind of thing all the time, and television honestly was what catapulted his parks to national prominence.

In the early 90's I took a kid from church with me to WDW, and his biggest, most important memory was that the fireworks were "just like on TV"!

Not only could TV continue to bring that kind of "got-to-go-there" excitement, but the overall value of EPCOT as a place for pure inspiration to budding scientists must be re-established. Walt made entertainment, but he also made some world-class educational materials along the way. (See "Donald Duck in Mathemagic Land" for an example.) These days, few people really see EPCOT as anything inspirational (at least as much as is could be).

This year we celebrate Walt's achievements, but the company seems to have forgotten his biggest goal.

I still love WDW. I just wish they would re-focus on the cool, fun, educational, monorail-gliding-past inspiration that it was meant to be....

Erika

Originally posted by turkey leg boy

BUT DO NOT BLAME EVERYTHING ON DISNEY. Part of the problem is SOCIETY. The guests have to take some of the blame too. I've seen people deliberately pour popcorn on the ground. People throw their trash down instead of walking a few feet to a trash can. People write on walls, scrape paint off, and purposely destroy property that isn't theirs. Some CMs don't care as much as they used too. Blame that on society.

FACE IT, THE DECLINE IN SOCIETY HAS A GREAT DEAL TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF TRASH AND FLAWS YOU SEE IN THE PARKS. NOT ONLY IN THE TRASH PRODUCED, BUT IN THE LACK OF CLEANING IT UP.

You have hit the nail on the head. People disgust me sometimes.

ToTBellHop

I don't, personally, like the plans for Hong Kong Disneyland...it looks like it won't have pirates, but rather DINOSAUR in Adventureland, Big Thunder Mountain in Fantasyland (which is beyond me....), the Tiki Room in Mickey's Toontown...very screwy, and they moved all the lands around...

I agree.

Society is declining (see my previous post). We are all to blame. From the ones that drop the trash to the ones that see it and don't say anything about it. If there's only one thing I learned from the navy it was that you should be self-policing. That means as a society we should be letting each other know when we do something wrong. It also means we should let each other know when we do something right. Don't harp on the negative, but use it to reinforce the traits that we know we should have as a society.

Wow. What a discussion this has turned into.

BTW - I love "Donald Duck in MathMagicLand"! It's always one of my favorites to see just a glimpse of on late night programming!

disneyfamily

Originally posted by epcotwsmd4me
I agree.

Society is declining (see my previous post). We are all to blame. From the ones that drop the trash to the ones that see it and don't say anything about it. If there's only one thing I learned from the navy it was that you should be self-policing. That means as a society we should be letting each other know when we do something wrong. It also means we should let each other know when we do something right.

I agree 100%. I will never let another person throw trash on the ground or deface property and say nothing. You know our fathers and grandfathers would not have just looked the other way, not wanting to cause a scene. I for one am guilty of this. Anyone got any suggestions on how to handle a vandle ? I'm not talking about shouting someone down or overly embarassing someone.

gjpjtj

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie, only been there twice, but I am thrilled with WDW, and right now there is no other place I would rather vacation. Faults and all!:lookaroun

disneydudette

Ok..I don't get it....

There sorta duplicated WDW..in other countries..which lowers attendence in the REAL WDW......

Y not renovate the REAL WDW and raise attendence!! How many friggin DLs can we have!!

I love WDW....all ways have..all ways will....but when my lil sis would rather go to the room an watch TV than go to MK.....theres a problem.....AND SHE'S THE ONE THAT WOULD RATHER CLEAN THE LITTER BOX THAN WATCH TV!

Disney... in my opinion is falling behind on the magical scale........its no fun when ur kids are watching trash cans over-flow ans seaguls attacking the leftova turkey legs...then watching the parade.....that they badly wanted to see!

no2apprentice

I'm really curious to see how the Hong Kong resort will do. I mean, they have some serious typhoons in that part of the world. Also, outside of Hong Kong, isn't that a fairly low-income part of the world? Unless Disney scales down costs, it may be very limiting to the masses to afford the park. Just curious...

Anyway, back to the main topic, I've come to expect trash no matter where I go. It breaks my heart when I see it in the parks, but what REALLY strips my bolt is when I see trash on the rides/attractions. I'm sure the CM's do everything they can to keep up with the litter problem, and (I'm guessing) that the rides are gone through after closing to remove obvious litter, but I just can't understand why someone would spoil the experience of others in such a moronic way.

This year was our third trip with our kids, and even they started to notice the "little" things...something looked really dusty...the sound didn't seem real clear (I blame that on digital music lol)...Buzz Lightyear had a "twitchy" finger...and on, and on. Nothing major. Nothing that ruined the overall experience. But hey, not an hour on the road coming home and they were asking when we were coming back! Disney Magic strikes again.:animwink:

DanStat

Idgiots...

At Pecos Bill Cafe in the MK, the idgiots were throwing french fries to birds on top of that roof thing. :rolleyes:

They only stopped after the bird took a ________ on their head.

Pardon my french.

MKCustodial

Re: Idgiots...

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
At Pecos Bill Cafe in the MK, the idgiots were throwing french fries to birds on top of that roof thing. :rolleyes:

They only stopped after the bird took a ________ on their head.

Pardon my french.

This is a perfect example of human stupidity. People complain of the birds being there, specially during the winter, but they're only there because the morons feed them! I remember one of the first instructions I got as a West Custodial was to tell people not to feed the birds. Needless to say, I ended up cheering when a bird would "dump" on them or would steal their hot-dogs and churros! :D

Erika

Originally posted by epcotwsmd4me

BTW - I love "Donald Duck in MathMagicLand"! It's always one of my favorites to see just a glimpse of on late night programming!

Me too! (even though I always hated math...)

I found it a few years back at a garage sale. SCORE!!! I couldn't believe my good luck :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom