Disability Access Service (DAS) Updates

TrojanUSC

That makes sense but I’m curious as to what they base their decision on then?

I think a lot of it is what the specific needs of the guests are and their ability to wait in a queue. A lot of people show up to Guest Relations and say they need DAS just because they have a wheelchair. Well nearly all queues are wheelchair accessible now, so they don't need DAS. Or they say they can't stand for long periods, because their knee is bad - well wheelchairs and scooters are an option. So I think they are just trying to crack down on the overall abuse, which is rampant, by having a dedicated team who are more acutely aware of what can and can't be asked. This also helps reduce the wait times at GR, which had become more or less DAS distribution centers.

With the system before DAS, called Guest Assistance Card, they tried to have a series of "specialized" options to combat this fraud. For example, if a guest said they had a condition which prevented them from standing in the sunlight, they'd have a special pass which allowed the guest to have a shaded waiting area. Eventually most GR cast members were just handing out the "unlimited FP" GACs because thats all people would be happy with and it got abused so much that it led to DAS.

ImperfectPixie

I think a lot of it is what the specific needs of the guests are and their ability to wait in a queue. A lot of people show up to Guest Relations and say they need DAS just because they have a wheelchair. Well nearly all queues are wheelchair accessible now, so they don't need DAS. Or they say they can't stand for long periods, because their knee is bad - well wheelchairs and scooters are an option. So I think they are just trying to crack down on the overall abuse, which is rampant, by having a dedicated team who are more acutely aware of what can and can't be asked. This also helps reduce the wait times at GR, which had become more or less DAS distribution centers.

With the system before DAS, called Guest Assistance Card, they tried to have a series of "specialized" options to combat this fraud. For example, if a guest said they had a condition which prevented them from standing in the sunlight, they'd have a special pass which allowed the guest to have a shaded waiting area. Eventually most GR cast members were just handing out the "unlimited FP" GACs because thats all people would be happy with and it got abused so much that it led to DAS.
You forgot to mention people hiring those with disabilities as tour guides to gain front-of-line access.

EeyoreFan#24

That makes sense but I’m curious as to what they base their decision on then?

I think the main reason they went with video was just a thinly veiled attempt to make people think twice if they are attempting to inappropriately use the system. At the end of the day the same laws apply as if someone was in person at guest relations. Functionally, they probably could have made a website form, but an in person request may make people think again.

And I'm sure people who inappropriately use the system in their everyday life will probably know the rules very well and they wont have a problem getting passes. With genie, wait times, the amount of people Disney attracts, etc. people who just read a "secret tip" on the internet and will be warded off may be worth it.

For the record I support the DAS and it has a needed service for guest.

EDIT-I see a whole conversation saying close to this was happening while i was typing. oops

Rider

DAS on the app
E05D08DE-4B48-449A-BC5A-6234917F6C36.png

2C71CED3-E90B-4555-ABF5-C657370DE8A0.png

DAS and Genie+ work together
FA1F81F5-47D9-4301-8F13-8D420DCD9062.png

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I am on with a cast member (Robbie) right now on the DAS online chat. I am not on a video chat with him, but he is insistent that regardless of whether or not you use Advanced bookings or Day of bookings, you are limited to two DAS reservations per group per day.

I am fairly sure he is incorrect, but his insistence has me thinking otherwise. If he's correct than this was poorly published and a major change to the service.

Edit: The only stipulation on the website is that you can only have one active DAS return time at one time. What led me down this path with the CM was my asking if you could hold two advanced selections and a third day of selection.

Edit #2: He was wrong.

Last edited:

Rider

To summarize our experience today. Nothing different than the DAS of the last few years. You get a time based on the current wait. When you use it you can get another. No limit except the closing of the park. Genie+ can be used with it to get additional return times and you can overlap the times freely. The app didn’t work today (and several attractions CMs were apologetic about it) but hopefully when that is up it will be even easier to book new times because you dont need to go to the attraction.

Vegas Disney Fan

Has anyone had any luck getting through for a video chat? My girlfriend has been trying all week from work but can’t wait on the line for hours.

Can I do the video chat (on my day off) and explain her medical situation or does she need to do it herself? We’d really like to set this up prior to our trip so we don’t have to lose an hour at guest relations but we aren’t having any luck getting through.

ImperfectPixie

Has anyone had any luck getting through for a video chat? My girlfriend has been trying all week from work but can’t wait on the line for hours.

Can I do the video chat (on my day off) and explain her medical situation or does she need to do it herself? We’d really like to set this up prior to our trip so we don’t have to lose an hour at guest relations but we aren’t having any luck getting through.
The person who needs the DAS has to be present on the video chat, unfortunately.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No

From what i was told you have to book 2 days prior out to 30 so day of may not be an option and the person who needs it must be on the call.

correcaminos

To be fair I have never lost an hour or even close getting DAS at GS. But she needs to be on the chat herself.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
To summarize our experience today. Nothing different than the DAS of the last few years. You get a time based on the current wait. When you use it you can get another. No limit except the closing of the park. Genie+ can be used with it to get additional return times and you can overlap the times freely. The app didn’t work today (and several attractions CMs were apologetic about it) but hopefully when that is up it will be even easier to book new times because you dont need to go to the attraction.

To be fair I have never lost an hour or even close getting DAS at GS. But she needs to be on the chat herself.

I was told that the video chat wait times are roughly 3-4 hours. I've also been told that you can make the advanced bookings at guest services once you have the DAS, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 2-30 day rule would still apply.

If anyone has setup the advanced bookings, I would like to know if you can get a 3rd DAS reservation once you're in the park, or if you have to wait until the advanced bookings are used. I've heard conflicting information on this.

Lastly, in case others didn't know, the advanced bookings cannot be made on the Individual Lightning Lane selections (ILLS), however you can still make DAS reservations on the ILLS attractions once you're in the park.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I was told that the video chat wait times are roughly 3-4 hours. I've also been told that you can make the advanced bookings at guest services once you have the DAS, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 2-30 day rule would still apply.

If anyone has setup the advanced bookings, I would like to know if you can get a 3rd DAS reservation once you're in the park, or if you have to wait until the advanced bookings are used. I've heard conflicting information on this.

Lastly, in case others didn't know, the advanced bookings cannot be made on the Individual Lightning Lane selections (ILLS), however you can still make DAS reservations on the ILLS attractions once you're in the park.
so i have been disconnected 2 times already while waiting via video chat after speaking w initial agent currently waiting again after speaking with 3rd.... from what i was told you can not book a 3rd one in the parks until you use the 2 pre booked ones so she mentioned that if something you want is not available until later in day may be wise to choose a different ride earlier so you can use the DAS in the parks once done. the ones that are not included for prior bookings CAN be made once in the parks the only one that is not eligible is RAT because it is being used as a VQ currently everything else should be fair game to book.

we will be able to make a 3rd one once we get into the park & keep booking an extra one once that one is used. also you cant book your entry trip like FP so i suggest calling at 30 from last day if you wanna book all at once

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
so i have been disconnected 2 times already while waiting via video chat after speaking w initial agent currently waiting again after speaking with 3rd.... from what i was told you can not book a 3rd one in the parks until you use the 2 pre booked ones so she mentioned that if something you want is not available until later in day may be wise to choose a different ride earlier so you can use the DAS in the parks once done. the ones that are not included for prior bookings CAN be made once in the parks the only one that is not eligible is RAT because it is being used as a VQ currently everything else should be fair game to book.

we will be able to make a 3rd one once we get into the park & keep booking an extra one once that one is used. also you cant book your entry trip like FP so i suggest calling at 30 from last day if you wanna book all at once
When is your arrival, I'm curious on the actual implementation of the 2 pre booked + in park. We have a lot of other variables in our touring party beyond my autistic brother so pre-planning may not be in our best interest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom