Disability Access Service (DAS) Updates

Vegas Disney Fan

wow.

when we first went in 2015 they wouldn’t take any proof and in our 2016/17/19 visits they never asked either!
My girlfriend always brings medical paperwork as proof and they won’t look at hers either. Her medical condition isn’t visible and it takes longer for her to explain her heart condition than it would take for them to just read the paperwork.

In Disneyland Paris they require documentation for their version of DAS and it took them about a minute to look over her paperwork and set us up. So much simpler.

correcaminos

My girlfriend always brings medical paperwork as proof and they won’t look at hers either. Her medical condition isn’t visible and it takes longer for her to explain her heart condition than it would take for them to just read the paperwork.

In Disneyland Paris they require documentation for their version of DAS and it took them about a minute to look over her paperwork and set us up. So much simpler.
I had my note on hand ready to show them via video but didn't need to the second time. Mine is rather generic as it comes from one doctor who doesn't help me with all issues.

I looked into Paris once though since I'm not going I could be wrong, but as a whole it didn't seem too bad.

rct247

In the USA, they cannot ask for documentation and cannot ask flat out "what is your disability". Instead, they have to ask what concerns you have spending a day in the park, where the trouble spots are, and why they are trouble spots. They then provide you with information on the variety of services and ways to work around these troubles to find solutions. In some of these cases, it is DAS, but not everyone qualifies. Each time you re-enroll, they are supposed to go through the same process. Some people have temporary reasons they qualify.

The best advice I can give is to not just rely on saying you can't stand in line or that you are traveling in a wheelchair/scooter. They are looking to the root concern with why you can't stand in line. If you can't literally stand for long periods, they will advise utilizing a wheelchair or scooter because most of the lines have been designed to be accomodating and that gives you the option to sit or stand as needed. And that will be the solution to the problem presented, but if it is more complicated than that, you may need to explain further. You don't have to go into medical details though. You can be vague and state what you would ideally need; they then can determine if that need could be met.

You generally will have a much better conversation if you focus on what unique needs you need to try to have met than if you go in expecting the solution has to be DAS.

DAS isn't really designed for mobility concerns, food allergies, broken/sprained body parts, dyslexia, COVID-based anxiety, asthma, need to take medication at a specific time, being on an oxygen tank, gout, plantar fasciitis, etc. I've had friends that have heard all of those as reasons people feel they need it; however, some of those can be a part of a multi-faceted concern where DAS may be a solution.

(To the items above: Lines are accessible for wheelchairs otherwise they issue non-DAS return times; exposure to potential food allergies could exist anywhere not just in a line and do you have an epi-pen; broken arm has nothing to do with standing in a line beside would the rides aggravate it; dyslexia...really...; COVID... why are you visiting a busy theme park then; do you have your inhaler with you; avoid getting in a line around the time you need medication; oxygen tanks can usually go with you in line just not always on all the rides; wheelchair can be used; wheelchair can be used)

correcaminos

In the USA, they cannot ask for documentation and cannot ask flat out "what is your disability". Instead, they have to ask what concerns you have spending a day in the park, where the trouble spots are, and why they are trouble spots. They then provide you with information on the variety of services and ways to work around these troubles to find solutions. In some of these cases, it is DAS, but not everyone qualifies. Each time you re-enroll, they are supposed to go through the same process. Some people have temporary reasons they qualify.

The best advice I can give is to not just rely on saying you can't stand in line or that you are traveling in a wheelchair/scooter. They are looking to the root concern with why you can't stand in line. If you can't literally stand for long periods, they will advise utilizing a wheelchair or scooter because most of the lines have been designed to be accomodating and that gives you the option to sit or stand as needed. And that will be the solution to the problem presented, but if it is more complicated than that, you may need to explain further. You don't have to go into medical details though. You can be vague and state what you would ideally need; they then can determine if that need could be met.

You generally will have a much better conversation if you focus on what unique needs you need to try to have met than if you go in expecting the solution has to be DAS.

DAS isn't really designed for mobility concerns, food allergies, broken/sprained body parts, dyslexia, COVID-based anxiety, asthma, need to take medication at a specific time, being on an oxygen tank, gout, plantar fasciitis, etc. I've had friends that have heard all of those as reasons people feel they need it; however, some of those can be a part of a multi-faceted concern where DAS may be a solution.

(To the items above: Lines are accessible for wheelchairs otherwise they issue non-DAS return times; exposure to potential food allergies could exist anywhere not just in a line and do you have an epi-pen; broken arm has nothing to do with standing in a line beside would the rides aggravate it; dyslexia...really...; COVID... why are you visiting a busy theme park then; do you have your inhaler with you; avoid getting in a line around the time you need medication; oxygen tanks can usually go with you in line just not always on all the rides; wheelchair can be used; wheelchair can be used)
I find your advice to be the opposite. The more I explain, the harder it is. They pick apart more when you do that and act like many issues can be resolved with a wheel chair when they cannot or will actually be made worse by it (many circulation issues and nerve issues will not for example). Sorry I'm rather grumpy after today especially with the one CM lying and telling me to go in person for DAS. Totally uncool. While some issues are temporary, many of us are dealing with these issues for life.

All said, they absolutely can ask for proof. Six flags does, but it's a simple proof to use certain entrances due to ambulatory issues or a doctor's note. Disney chooses not to along with a few places because it's easier. I have a doc note just in case.

correcaminos

I've decided to write in about the experience. In my utter frustration and anger I obviously left out a lot of the progression here yesterday. Went from being told about getting a return time once in the park acknowledging my issues with lines to being told that I didn't get to pre-schedule when I asked about it. Then the diminishing of issues and calling neuro and muscular-skeletal disorders mobility issues when I clearly stated they were not - they aren't as walking helps often and "prescribed" by different medical people in addition to other treatments. Then reinforcing that Genie was free and again stating in park I could see about DAS in person. Yes, she actually said I could go to GS and ask about it after I got there. Then disconnected.

Imagine if a newbie didn't ask about the prescheduling and just assumed they could go to the park and schedule only to find out Genie isn't free and they'd have to waste time in GS to apply for DAS when what they thought they did already happened? That's my huge issue with this person.

ImperfectPixie

I've decided to write in about the experience. In my utter frustration and anger I obviously left out a lot of the progression here yesterday. Went from being told about getting a return time once in the park acknowledging my issues with lines to being told that I didn't get to pre-schedule when I asked about it. Then the diminishing of issues and calling neuro and muscular-skeletal disorders mobility issues when I clearly stated they were not - they aren't as walking helps often and "prescribed" by different medical people in addition to other treatments. Then reinforcing that Genie was free and again stating in park I could see about DAS in person. Yes, she actually said I could go to GS and ask about it after I got there. Then disconnected.

Imagine if a newbie didn't ask about the prescheduling and just assumed they could go to the park and schedule only to find out Genie isn't free and they'd have to waste time in GS to apply for DAS when what they thought they did already happened? That's my huge issue with this person.
I really think that guest services has suffered for a long time from the corporate attitude that lower-level employees are easily replaced. Stories of different answers depending upon the CM you happen to talk to are far too common and have been for years.

correcaminos

I really think that guest services has suffered for a long time from the corporate attitude that lower-level employees are easily replaced. Stories of different answers depending upon the CM you happen to talk to are far too common and have been for years.
Agreed. I at least knew enough to figure out what she was doing, but I really do not want that to happen to another. She needs better training both in product (Genie) and in how to deal with abnormal disabilities.

dhslxop

Does anyone know if there is any messaging about rides with height requirements in the app? For example, if the das holder is too short to ride, the rest of the traditionally wouldn’t be allowed to use the DAS. How does that work with being able to book through the app?

correcaminos

Does anyone know if there is any messaging about rides with height requirements in the app? For example, if the das holder is too short to ride, the rest of the traditionally wouldn’t be allowed to use the DAS. How does that work with being able to book through the app?
You could schedule it but when you go to tap in the group would be denied. There are height filters when planning your day. Nothing with the rules on who rides has changed though. If DAS holder cannot ride, you cannot all tap in.

Touchdown

To all of you out there who really need this service, please blame the lazy, free loading fraudsters who have piggybacked on your system to get free VIP access. I’m truely sorry that you are going through it and I wish there was a way to separate the fraudsters from the disabled.

Trauma

I want to also add that you must sign in prior to chatting. So unlike in person, you are not anonymous if your attempt fails. Online was far more nerve racking than in person.
I don’t understand why it would be nerve racking.

My mother has a disability and a note from her physician.

If they want to give me trouble beyond that they can always work it out with my attorneys.

correcaminos

I don’t understand why it would be nerve racking.

My mother has a disability and a note from her physician.

If they want to give me trouble beyond that they can always work it out with my attorneys.
Nothing personal but that's honestly not what I would expect from anyone on a thread like this. You obviously do not deal with issues that I do and I even offered a note the first time around and was brushed off. I made sure it was loaded on my phone (I have digital copies) the second time. When someone deals with severe GAD and PTSD none of this is easy. People often dismiss and ignore legitimate issues. Kind of like you are. Not all of us have the luxury to have someone fight for them and it's far more stressful to advocate for yourself when so many constantly act like life should be normal. I'm honestly tired of it and sometimes I don't have it in me for a fight. But 8 hours off an on is a lot. Worrying about missing messages as well. Not fun.

It would only be nerve wracking if you are trying to pull one over.
Wow.... seriously? I was on hold off an on for 8 hours. You have a few minutes to respond to a message once they get through. I missed messages before and worried about it again. Disconnected once and informed incorrectly about offerings and you cannot see why that's stressful? Must be easy to judge someone you don't know across a screen.

Last edited:

Trauma

Nothing personal but that's honestly not what I would expect from anyone on a thread like this. You obviously do not deal with issues that I do and I even offered a note the first time around and was brushed off. I made sure it was loaded on my phone (I have digital copies) the second time. When someone deals with severe GAD and PTSD none of this is easy. People often dismiss and ignore legitimate issues. Kind of like you are. Not all of us have the luxury to have someone fight for them and it's far more stressful to advocate for yourself when so many constantly act like life should be normal. I'm honestly tired of it and sometimes I don't have it in me for a fight. But 8 hours off an on is a lot. Worrying about missing messages as well. Not fun.

Wow.... seriously? I was on hold off an on for 8 hours. You have a few minutes to respond to a message once they get through. I missed messages before and worried about it again. Disconnected once and informed incorrectly about offerings and you cannot see why that's stressful? Must be easy to judge someone you don't know across a screen.
I’m sorry what are you even going on about ?

I wasn’t talking about you or your issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom