Disability Access Service (DAS) Updates

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
So the person needing DAS has to be available the entire call on the off chance they might get around to the video portion? Sounds like they need to set call back times when they know how long each call takes.
To be clear, I waited by my computer for close to 9 hours. My brother was needed for about 3 minutes, but had to be available should the video call start at any point in that 9 hour window.

Elledubs

That is so unrealistic! My kid goes to school in special Ed and I’m not sure what to do if he’s not available for 9 hours. I’ve already tried two days unsuccessfully to get through.
Any advice— I keep getting logged out during the wait chat, even though I’m at computer. I heard somewhere this puts me at the back of the line? How can I stay in the queue? I’m trying. I’m right there wiggling the mouse to make sure laptop stays on. Using chrome browser as some have suggested.

correcaminos

That is so unrealistic! My kid goes to school in special Ed and I’m not sure what to do if he’s not available for 9 hours. I’ve already tried two days unsuccessfully to get through.
Any advice— I keep getting logged out during the wait chat, even though I’m at computer. I heard somewhere this puts me at the back of the line? How can I stay in the queue? I’m trying. I’m right there wiggling the mouse to make sure laptop stays on. Using chrome browser as some have suggested.
Go in person. This isn't worth the stress IMO. You can set your computer to not go to sleep though. Depends on which type of device you have though.

Elledubs

Go in person. This isn't worth the stress IMO. You can set your computer to not go to sleep though. Depends on which type of device you have though.
Thank you Helena! I agree that this stress is not worth it. I am already stressed every day having such a challenging kid!! But the 2 extra DAS reservations are appealing. I think it will be very busy when we go (dec 7-9), and with genie + I am a ball of nerves about this trip. #regretting this!! Ha!

Vegas Disney Fan

Thank you Helena! I agree that this stress is not worth it. I am already stressed every day having such a challenging kid!! But the 2 extra DAS reservations are appealing. I think it will be very busy when we go (dec 7-9), and with genie + I am a ball of nerves about this trip. #regretting this!! Ha!
We gave up on the online chat also, so glad we did, it only took us 10 minutes in person and was very simple. We wanted to pre-book also but after our trip I can’t really see any advantage to it, we never waited more than an hour for a DAS return time and you can book a time from your phone so you don’t even need to be in the park to book one, we booked one from the pool during our afternoon break one day.

I don’t think it’s worth the stress, just go to guest relations the first day you’re there. Our first park day we arrived in the evening and there was no line at all, if your fist day will be in the morning I recommend going during the extra half hour before the park officially opens to avoid any lines.

Elledubs

We gave up on the online chat also, so glad we did, it only took us 10 minutes in person and was very simple. We wanted to pre-book also but after our trip I can’t really see any advantage to it, we never waited more than an hour for a DAS return time and you can book a time from your phone so you don’t even need to be in the park to book one, we booked one from the pool during our afternoon break one day.

I don’t think it’s worth the stress, just go to guest relations the first day you’re there. Our first park day we arrived in the evening and there was no line at all, if your fist day will be in the morning I recommend going during the extra half hour before the park officially opens to avoid any lines.
Thank you! Our issue is we decided to book an Airbnb that is very close to property because of the stress I was worried that staying in a resort would cause. I debated staying on property and paying a fortune for contemporary or Polynesian. But ultimately the benefit (sporadic magic hour) wasn’t worth it. Now of course, they added daily 30 min early entry which really irritates me. I definitely would have stayed on property and dealt with the added stress of resort hustle/bustle to get a less stressful daily start. Ugh. Disney is really trying to make this my last WDW trip. Which is very sad.

Angel Ariel

So the person needing DAS has to be available the entire call on the off chance they might get around to the video portion? Sounds like they need to set call back times when they know how long each call takes.
Agreed, this is the part that will be difficult. It basically restricts even attempting this to winter break, as DD will have to not be in school to try this with how it is now. With how common the bolded is I just don’t understand why Disney is doing this the way they are.

correcaminos

Good luck! I have one day on my trip next week that I have 2 scheduled. I can let you know how it goes. Early Dec isn't usually as bad as later parts. If you do want to try get on 7am Sat or Sun and just make sure your kid is around. They'll be fine waiting a minute or two. Also maybe TG holiday weekend might not be as busy since many spend time with family? Big hugs to you.

Vegas Disney Fan

Thank you! Our issue is we decided to book an Airbnb that is very close to property because of the stress I was worried that staying in a resort would cause. I debated staying on property and paying a fortune for contemporary or Polynesian. But ultimately the benefit (sporadic magic hour) wasn’t worth it. Now of course, they added daily 30 min early entry which really irritates me. I definitely would have stayed on property and dealt with the added stress of resort hustle/bustle to get a less stressful daily start. Ugh. Disney is really trying to make this my last WDW trip. Which is very sad.
You can enter the parks early even if you aren’t staying on property, they’ll just hold you at the end of main street, so you can still get to guest relations early even if you are staying off property.

correcaminos

You can enter the parks early even if you aren’t staying on property, they’ll just hold you at the end of main street, so you can still get to guest relations early even if you are staying off property.
Actually you don't need to go into the park either to get this squared away. They'll do it at GS windows outside the park too. When I activate my AP renewal for DVC I just make sure I go to the GS outside and do it all at once.

Angel Ariel

Wanted to add our experience to this thread. I tried to get on in the middle of the day yesterday, and had the window open for 2 hours with no response - had to shut it down to do other things.

Today, I decided to wake up to be online at 7:00am, and we were on the video chat within 20 minutes, approved very quickly and I was closing out the conversation with all 5 days of advance selections made by 8:00am. DD was actually still in bed when they needed to see her for the picture, as I'd been anticipating a much longer wait so hadn't gotten her up yet. They took the picture with her lying down, lol. Forgot to put her glasses on for it too, but the CM said that wouldn't be a problem.

correcaminos

Wanted to add our experience to this thread. I tried to get on in the middle of the day yesterday, and had the window open for 2 hours with no response - had to shut it down to do other things.

Today, I decided to wake up to be online at 7:00am, and we were on the video chat within 20 minutes, approved very quickly and I was closing out the conversation with all 5 days of advance selections made by 8:00am. DD was actually still in bed when they needed to see her for the picture, as I'd been anticipating a much longer wait so hadn't gotten her up yet. They took the picture with her lying down, lol. Forgot to put her glasses on for it too, but the CM said that wouldn't be a problem.
Great news! Kind of cute that she was still in bed.

mitchk

I got my DAS the other day… I suffer from severe anxiety and claustrophobia.. The cast member I talk to was great and extremely understandable… we spoke for about five minutes and she said that I qualify and I said well thank god because I don’t know what I’d do if I ever got banned from Disney World.. not that any of the statements I made were untrue at all.. but I’ll tell you what when I was there for the 50th in October and went to guest services in person to get my DAS it was a much shorter less questions asked process… i’m glad that they are really evaluating people because the cast member I spoke with on video chat had to be some kind of psychiatrist..

Attachments

• EE75FFF7-D385-45CA-BC0B-011AF476C6E9.jpeg
    EE75FFF7-D385-45CA-BC0B-011AF476C6E9.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 83

correcaminos

I got my DAS the other day… I suffer from severe anxiety and claustrophobia.. The cast member I talk to was great and extremely understandable… we spoke for about five minutes and she said that I qualify and I said well thank god because I don’t know what I’d do if I ever got banned from Disney World.. not that any of the statements I made were untrue at all.. but I’ll tell you what when I was there for the 50th in October and went to guest services in person to get my DAS it was a much shorter less questions asked process… i’m glad that they are really evaluating people because the cast member I spoke with on video chat had to be some kind of psychiatrist..
Glad yours went well too. I am hopeful for my next trip I won't deal with what I did the first time (absolutely not similar to your CM)

mitchk

I don’t have any idea. For my Mom I have a doctors note. That better be good enough not sure what else they could want.
They will not take any type of doctors notes or medical information they want to analyze you themselves

Trauma

They will not take any type of doctors notes or medical information they want to analyze you themselves
I can assure you no one was “analyzed” during the call. The doctors note is just in case anyone every says anything, and I highly doubt they ever will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom